Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:12 AM   #1

Default Playfull Dual or DSC-HX9v?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Just a few more days it will be available in Feb, and BAM! April fools!

Guess Amazon knows more than Kodak gotta love ya kodak

OK, here is the rub. I have a chance to buy a Sony DSC-HX9v on discount clearence for nearly the price the zi12 will be, which may never get here, as Kodak cameras can take more than 6 montgs to get here. It has fullhdp50 at 28mb/s (still low) and many manual settings to get the picture I like. The latitude etc is pretty nice. The z12 will simply be more convenient because it is smaller and easier to handle, but may have less data rate (fullhdp50 or 60 needs 36mb/s) and be worse in many other ways that help make it smaller. What do you think, do you know the maximum data rate in the Kodak?

Here is the real rub, I need a cheap knock around camera, and a upmarket camera. Sony will be upgrading this camera, but the Next nex series upgrade, or Panasonic, might introduce super HD recording in the next 6 months or so. So the bulky hx9v will be redundant waste of money but the Kodak won't be. If only the waterproof version was out, the Kodak would be a hands down.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:16 AM   #2

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...sony/dsc-hx9v/
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:45 AM   #3

There will be a new release of the Sony HX9V called the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX10V.
Take a look at the Sony WX-9 model.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:21 PM   #4

Quote:
There will be a new release of the Sony HX9V called the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX10V.
Take a look at the Sony WX-9 model.
I have the WX10 which I am very happy with, picture and video quality are awesome. Only knock is a loud zoom noise which most cameras will capture on video. I would avoid the WX9, while picture and video are also very good, I had 2 of these (returned one for the other) and when taking videos it has this very strange electronic chirping sound when in a quiet setting. Even on youtube samples it is present so I know it wasn't just mines. It's too bad because it was a lot cheaper than the WX10, like $80 cheaper and the WX10 doesn't add much more besides higher zoom and no more chirping sound. Here is a sample of the chirping sound, you can hear it right away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymi-MUmv0aU
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:48 PM   #5

to me I never heard it on mine or knew about it , if it was there I believe ya.

I enjoyed the WX9 I felt bat life was POOF! to fast and used up. Deffently you are going to need up to Four battteries, if you plan on using hte HX9V for a long extended time. Been on a cruise and two batts one in cam and one in pocket made me through the whole day. two add'l locked the deal.

Last edited by fishycomics; Feb 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:11 PM   #6

Quote:

I enjoyed the WX9 I felt bat life was POOF! to fast and used up. Deffently you are going to need up to Four battteries, if you plan on using hte HX9V for a long extended time. Been on a cruise and two batts one in cam and one in pocket made me through the whole day. two add'l locked the deal.

Wow, you must have been one of the fortunate ones because pretty much all of the samples on youtube in a quiet setting had the noise and the one one I posted is not mines. That's why I couldn't recommend this one solely based on that stupid chirping sound. Even when you play video back on the camera itself you can hear it. So maybe there's just a batch of bad ones out there but I bought 2 and both had it + samples on youtube = no go for me. Had it not had the problem then for $120 which I got it for on Amazon would be a steal.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:07 AM   #7

Quote:

I know it still has noise, but that's what I'm talking about Kodak.

Was not aware you went over to Sony fishy. But this at 60 or 50 progressive frames a second is sweet. It is no wonder so many people have dissapeared from here, they must be going to these other cameras, and mobilee, Ambarella is so waaaayyy behind. But this is the issue, they are not offering enough to distract people form mobiles and these cameras. Mobiles are an issue, they are hard to make handel as well, feature as well, but can perform at higher rates, as the dedicated camera, but these are the areas that they are not advancing cheap cmaeras in. Lets hope they get with it and a super HD camera soon.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfan23 View Post
Wow, you must have been one of the fortunate ones because pretty much all of the samples on youtube in a quiet setting had the noise and the one one I posted is not mines. That's why I couldn't recommend this one solely based on that stupid chirping sound. Even when you play video back on the camera itself you can hear it. So maybe there's just a batch of bad ones out there but I bought 2 and both had it + samples on youtube = no go for me. Had it not had the problem then for $120 which I got it for on Amazon would be a steal.
That is the problem Amazon selling defects. I never had it and I am lucky, draw of the Luck I guess the wx9 worked wonders for me just the batt life to mewas to short, and the batt was so slim. looking at teh HX9V you will notice it is beefy andwhy tehy could not implimented that into the WX9 tehy have a killer model.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post

Was not aware you went over to Sony fishy. But this at 60 or 50 progressive frames a second is sweet. It is no wonder so many people have dissapeared from here, they must be going to these other cameras, and mobilee, Ambarella is so waaaayyy behind. But this is the issue, they are not offering enough to distract people form mobiles and these cameras. Mobiles are an issue, they are hard to make handel as well, feature as well, but can perform at higher rates, as the dedicated camera, but these are the areas that they are not advancing cheap cmaeras in. Lets hope they get with it and a super HD camera soon.
I went over to Sony because I needed a trusted camera, I am not 100% happy.

I want control of my camera to turn on/off stuff , not with Sony limited. I am still lookin for a better cam pocketable, but I am contented.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:34 AM   #10

Quote: