Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:12 PM   #1

Default DXG-5K1V anyone ?

I remember this board really got into the older 595v, so I was wondering if anyone has tried out the 5K1V ?

I have a 595V still, except for 2 bugs I would have really liked it (almost no low light performance & it sometimes focuses in & out repeatedly ). Minor annoyances were only digital image stabilization with 5X optical zoom, cheap sounding audio that made plastic noise whenever you moved the camera(crack crack crunch) and short battery life.

This 5K1V looks almost like a real video camera, 20x optical zoom, OIS, external mic input, upto 1080 P/I, some type of manual focus and starts around $250.

I can't find any reviews on amazon or anywhere else and no videos posted on youtube.

Any comments on this camera ?

http://www.dxgusa.com/products/pro-gear/dxg-5k1v.html
bobjr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjr94 View Post
I remember this board really got into the older 595v, so I was wondering if anyone has tried out the 5K1V ?

I have a 595V still, except for 2 bugs I would have really liked it (almost no low light performance & it sometimes focuses in & out repeatedly ). Minor annoyances were only digital image stabilization with 5X optical zoom, cheap sounding audio that made plastic noise whenever you moved the camera(crack crack crunch) and short battery life.

This 5K1V looks almost like a real video camera, 20x optical zoom, OIS, external mic input, upto 1080 P/I, some type of manual focus and starts around $250.

I can't find any reviews on amazon or anywhere else and no videos posted on youtube.

Any comments on this camera ?

http://www.dxgusa.com/products/pro-gear/dxg-5k1v.html
Yeah not much info besides DXG provided specs which look great on paper. Maybe like you, everyone is waiting for a review before taking a plunge haha.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:01 PM   #3

I emailed DXG, they said its an excellent camera, but thats like taking the word of a used car dealer that this is the perfect car (I work at a used car dealer).

He said it replaces the A85V, has much better low light performance, variable speed zoom (my 595 did not) and some other things that were printed in the specs.

Seems like a great camera on paper, $100-$150 less then other entry level HD cameras with similar specs and quite a bit less then other models with external mic inputs, but when all the major stores have 0 reviews on it, I feel a bit nervous.

Who wants to go first ?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:49 PM   #4

OK... so, I went to bat for everyone here... I purchased a DXG-5K1V...

AWESOME video camera. Simply fantastic. Especially considering the price (I purchased it through Amazon for about $220 + 32GB flash memory) I am VERY pleased.

I had purchased the original model about 2 years ago and frankly was quite disappointed... especially with sound quality, which was HORRIBLE. In fact, I worked closely with DXG's R&D department and provided some field tests and ideas in the following months.

THIS model has MUCH better video quality (a 5MP video sensor rather than the original 2) and allows you to select from either H.264 or .MOV format... and also FINALLY, an external microphone jack and variable audio level via the touchscreen!

I am SUPER PLEASED with sound quality. I am a music performer, so this is crucial... AND I will want to record other performers too.

It also now includes threads for utilizing sunshades and filters. Yippee!

Here's a YouTube link from today... http://youtu.be/x-yWueCzyp8

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS CAMERA!!

Last edited by thecrooner; Jun 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM.
thecrooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrooner View Post
OK... so, I went to bat for everyone here... I purchased a DXG-5K1V...

AWESOME video camera. Simply fantastic. Especially considering the price (I purchased it through Amazon for about $220 + 32GB flash memory) I am VERY pleased.

I had purchased the original model about 2 years ago and frankly was quite disappointed... especially with sound quality, which was HORRIBLE. In fact, I worked closely with DXG's R&D department and provided some field tests and ideas in the following months.

THIS model has MUCH better video quality (a 5MP video sensor rather than the original 2) and allows you to select from either H.264 or .MOV format... and also FINALLY, an external microphone jack and variable audio level via the touchscreen!

I am SUPER PLEASED with sound quality. I am a music performer, so this is crucial... AND I will want to record other performers too.

It also now includes threads for utilizing sunshades and filters. Yippee!

Here's a YouTube link from today... http://youtu.be/x-yWueCzyp8

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS CAMERA!!
Hello "thecrooner" I live in Lebanon Middle East that is, and my friend is coming to the USA in the next couple of days, and I told him to buy the DXG 5k1v Camcorder because it is withing my 250$ to 300$ budget and it has great features. But on the other side this cam does not have any reviews, I saw your video on youtube it looked great on my PC but if you may please be more helpful and answer my below questions:

How much is the effective video resolution of the cam?

Is this cam's Optical Stabilization really effective?

Is the LED Light good in the Dark?

Is the performance good in Low Light?

Are the Still Images really good?

Can you Pause while Recording?

How much does the battery last while recording?

Is this the replacement battery? (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenmar--...=1218256568358) for this cam, because I will buy one

Is the camcorder's body rigid and not cheap?

And last but not least...would you recommend me this cam?

Thank you for your answers, I would really really appreciate them,

Charly Chakhtoura

private message me

Beirut, Lebanon

delete

Last edited by fishycomics; Jul 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM. Reason: we have a private message system spam its are out there
Charly_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:09 AM   #6

Hello All I live in Lebanon Middle East that is, and my friend is coming to the USA in the next couple of days, and I told him to buy the DXG 5k1v Camcorder because it is withing my 250$ to 300$ budget and it has great features. But on the other side this cam does not have any reviews, I saw the video on youtube it looked great on my PC but if you may please be more helpful and answer my below questions:

How much is the effective video resolution of the cam?

Is this cam's Optical Stabilization really effective?

Is the LED Light good in the Dark?

Is the performance good in Low Light?

Are the Still Images really good?

Can you Pause while Recording?

How much does the battery last while recording?

Is this the replacement battery? (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenmar--...=1218256568358) for this cam, because I will buy one

Is the camcorder's body rigid and not cheap?

And last but not least...would you recommend me this cam?

Thank you for your answers, I would really really appreciate them,

Charly Chakhtoura

private message me

Beirut, Lebanon
Charly_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:32 AM   #7

How long does that battery last ? Is is the same np120 type as in older dxg's ?

After having it for some time now, how is it working, no focus problems or anything ?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:24 AM   #8

It is sad to see not many come back around. isay the battery has a lifespan of 1.5 years. or 1000 cycles.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:36 PM   #9

I see all the stores have listed this model as discontinued now, or has dxg gone out of business ? Their facebook is no longer updated and people are posting customer service has never gotten back to them.

If any of these orphan cameras pop up on clearance, would be worth picking them up ? How has the camera lasted after about 6 months of use ?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:56 AM   #10

Hi, Bob! My philosophy is to buy discontinued cameras of ANY type only if they are VERY cheap.

Good hunting.

Scoot.
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote