Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default Best cheap video recorder for fast indoor sports?

I play table tennis indoors, and want to record matches and then play them back, and be able to watch interesting parts in very slow motion so that I can see the spin on the ball and the footwork and strokes being used. Some places I play, the lighting isn't the brightest, but there isn't anything I can do about that. I need to record about 15 or 20 min at a time, and want to have the camera mounted on my 57" tripod, press the record button, and then go play, and stop it when I'm done. It would be best if the battery could easily be removed so that I could carry extras with me to the gym.

I want to be able to upload it to my Windows Laptop via the SDHC slot if possible, and want the video and audio in a standard format that I can edit (to get slow or very slow motion) with some kind of freeware program, and not have to spend hundreds of dollars on a video editor program or buy anything from Apple.

I've come to the conclusion that 30 FPS isn't fast enough to see the strokes, and that at least 60 FPS is required. I think 720p is needed, but 1080 would be better. I plan to use 8 gb or 16 gb SDHC cards to record to.

I have been considering the Kodak ZX3 and the Canon ELPH 310 HS, and basically I'm looking to spend less than $200 plus spare batterys and SDHC cards.

Could anyone here suggest what might work well for me BEFORE I go spending my money and find that I goofed?

thanks much
Cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:43 PM   #2
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

welcome to the hybrid section cheapybob....
The latest Kodak to hit hte market will be the Kodak Playtouch Dual that will do Slo mo think 320 per second. unsure the real resolution because today most will not shoot Hd1080P at a higher rate of 60fps. the Sony HX9V does [email protected]

the Zx3 is good cam for dffently under 100.00 I say research some more and maybe the go pro Hd Hero but the sound is fair it is a sport cam. just some thought. allow others to chime in
again welcome aboard
__________________
These are Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorders Great for the Daytime Outdoor shots
Light on the Object video made. No light No Video
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapybob View Post
I play table tennis indoors, and want to record matches and then play them back, and be able to watch interesting parts in very slow motion so that I can see the spin on the ball and the footwork and strokes being used. Some places I play, the lighting isn't the brightest, but there isn't anything I can do about that. I need to record about 15 or 20 min at a time, and want to have the camera mounted on my 57" tripod, press the record button, and then go play, and stop it when I'm done. It would be best if the battery could easily be removed so that I could carry extras with me to the gym.

I want to be able to upload it to my Windows Laptop via the SDHC slot if possible, and want the video and audio in a standard format that I can edit (to get slow or very slow motion) with some kind of freeware program, and not have to spend hundreds of dollars on a video editor program or buy anything from Apple.

I've come to the conclusion that 30 FPS isn't fast enough to see the strokes, and that at least 60 FPS is required. I think 720p is needed, but 1080 would be better. I plan to use 8 gb or 16 gb SDHC cards to record to.

I have been considering the Kodak ZX3 and the Canon ELPH 310 HS, and basically I'm looking to spend less than $200 plus spare batterys and SDHC cards.

Could anyone here suggest what might work well for me BEFORE I go spending my money and find that I goofed?

thanks much
I have a Sony WX10 camera that can take 1080i 60 fps videos, works great and you may be able to get it for about $200 on Amazon, if you don't mind used I see it on Amazon for $155. I've had no problems and it takes very good video indoors and should work with most video editing programs.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Any thoughts on a Sony WX9?

It also does 1080 at 60 fps from the specs I found. I'm guessing its an older model because I see broken ones and pasrts available on ebay. Looks like they can be had mfr refurb for $130 or so. I don't mind mfr refurb if it has a warranty, but want to avoid used, I think.
Cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:49 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapybob View Post
Any thoughts on a Sony WX9?

It also does 1080 at 60 fps from the specs I found. I'm guessing its an older model because I see broken ones and pasrts available on ebay. Looks like they can be had mfr refurb for $130 or so. I don't mind mfr refurb if it has a warranty, but want to avoid used, I think.
I had the WX9, great quality pics and video but unfortunately it made this annoying chirping sound in videos in quiet settings. You can find samples of it on youtube, here is one, listen carefully http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt6KT6Eijg0

Otherwise I would have kept it since it was quite a steal and a good $60-$70 less than the WX10. I just couldn't get past the chirping sound, had it on 2 different models I had so definitely a defect. Traded it in for a WX10, chirping gone. Most of the features are the same, Wx10 has higher zoom, other than that, same quality which is very good.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:12 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfan23 View Post
I had the WX9, great quality pics and video but unfortunately it made this annoying chirping sound in videos in quiet settings. You can find samples of it on youtube, here is one, listen carefully http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt6KT6Eijg0

Otherwise I would have kept it since it was quite a steal and a good $60-$70 less than the WX10. I just couldn't get past the chirping sound, had it on 2 different models I had so definitely a defect. Traded it in for a WX10, chirping gone. Most of the features are the same, Wx10 has higher zoom, other than that, same quality which is very good.
Yes, I heard the chip, too, LOL. I guess its not that important for my application, though. I like the fact that its designed to do well in less than perfect lighting.

What about playing the videos taken back in slow motion? What format are the files it creates? And what software (free or included, I hope) can I use to edit it and convert parts to display in slow motion?

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't looked at Sony.
Cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:13 AM   #7
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

if you get the WX-9 you get the HX9V MTS, and MP$ are the files. the Camcorder part is limited all are basicaly the choice of the cams function and setting.
__________________
These are Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorders Great for the Daytime Outdoor shots
Light on the Object video made. No light No Video
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapybob View Post
Yes, I heard the chip, too, LOL. I guess its not that important for my application, though. I like the fact that its designed to do well in less than perfect lighting.

What about playing the videos taken back in slow motion? What format are the files it creates? And what software (free or included, I hope) can I use to edit it and convert parts to display in slow motion?

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't looked at Sony.
Windows Live Movie Maker has a slow motion option and it's free and doesn't work too bad. But having a slow motion option built-in to the camera is even better, probably more suited for what you need it for and more fluid than having software slow it down. I used to have a Sanyo VPC-FH1 that had a cool slow motion mode, although when taking slow motion it didn't do in HD but wasn't too bad. You could do 10 or 15 second clips but of course stretched out in slow motion came out to be like a 40-50 second clip. Here's one from Panasonic that has a slow motion option http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/a...roduct/hxwa20/
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:01 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
welcome to the hybrid section cheapybob....
The latest Kodak to hit hte market will be the Kodak Playtouch Dual that will do Slo mo think 320 per second. unsure the real resolution because today most will not shoot Hd1080P at a higher rate of 60fps. the Sony HX9V does [email protected]

the Zx3 is good cam for dffently under 100.00 I say research some more and maybe the go pro Hd Hero but the sound is fair it is a sport cam. just some thought. allow others to chime in
again welcome aboard
I have found 2 people using ZX3's. Do you happen to know where I could find a sample of a raw 720/60 fps video file so I can see if the programs I have or can get free will be able to convert, edit and massage it into slow motion to be able to analyze it?
Cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Maybe its me or the software I'm using, but I keep downloading ZX3 720p/60 fps videos off youtube and none are 60 fps according to the editior.

Does anyone know of one that really is 720p/60 fps that i could download and test with?
Cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:16 PM.