Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

View Poll Results: Are you interested in going 4k, and how much are you prepared to pay?:
Like a regressive, I am not interested in going 4k. 0 0%
I am willing to pay more than $500 for a 4k ultrahd hybrid camera. 1 50.00%
I am willing to pay $300-$500 for a 4k ultrahd hybrid camera. 0 0%
I am willing to pay less $300 for a 4k ultrahd hybrid camera, you stooges. 1 50.00%
I am willing to pay more than $5000 for a 4k ultrahd TV. 0 0%
I am willing to pay more than $3000-$5000 for a 4k ultrahd TV. 1 50.00%
I am willing to pay more than $2000-$3000 for a 4k ultrahd TV. 0 0%
I am willing to pay less than $2000 for a 4k ultrahd TV, you stooges. 0 0%
I am willing to pay more than $1000 for a 4k ultrahd monitor or 27-32 inch TV set. 1 50.00%
I am willing to pay less than $1000 for a 4k ultrahd monitor or 27-32 inch TV set, please! 1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
Donald, how should we address you, is Donald your real name?
Nohohoho, it's a nickname ... I NEVER use a nickname 2x ... you can find me with 314,159 different nicks - and NOOOOOT in facebook (that's a public illness for lemmings)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
GoPro Hero 3 black edition, 4k at 15fps, at $400, a bit useless,
a bit muuuuch useless .. I'll buy a 4K tv ($9.999) for looking 15 fps movies in 4K ... if a big stone falls upon my head ...
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:24 PM   #13

It is the same price as the GPH2 less the wifi pac. no bigtv screen here Lol.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
no bigtv screen here Lol.
Doesn't matter how big the TV screen is unless it actually has the 4K Resolution - ie: 4096x3072 pixels.

Higher resolution video source is definitely nice to have but does not make much, if any difference, displayed full screen on a FullHD (1920x1080) TV no matter how big the screen is - all else being equal.

Here's an easy example most still photos are much bigger/higher resolution than our PC/Mac monitors - when displayed full screen - ie: so that the whole picture shows - one cannot tell if the original image was 3Mp or 16Mp (again all else being equal) - it's not "wasted" or superfluous resolution - but merely limited by the display device - ie: our current fullHD TVs are limited to showing only 1920x1080 - as higher resolution can be cropped, printed or zoomed to a greater degree - however that's not what we normally do with video.

Another example is old standard def TVs - cannot really take advantage of HD videos as they are limited by their native resolution of about 640x480 (NTSC) - so a 720p (1280x720) looks about the same as a fullHD 1080p (1920x1080) and a standard DVD which is only 720x480 - and once displayed on the standard def TV in widescreen mode is only about 640x480.....

Last edited by UnknownVT; Nov 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:13 PM   #15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1FcPl5THFQ

Like said no big deal for me. I thought I toss up a upscale clip 4126x2196 something like that of 4K
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
a bit muuuuch useless .. I'll buy a 4K tv ($9.999) for looking 15 fps movies in 4K ... if a big stone falls upon my head ...
:-)

But really, like when the fullhd pocket cameras came out, eventually you get a full resolution screen in a years or two's time, hopefully, and can enjoy it then, versus the old resolution videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
Doesn't matter how big the TV screen is unless it actually has the 4K Resolution - ie: 4096x3072 pixels.

Higher resolution video source is definitely nice to have but does not make much, if any difference, displayed full screen on a FullHD (1920x1080) TV no matter how big the screen is - all else being equal.

Here's an easy example most still photos are much bigger/higher resolution than our PC/Mac monitors - when displayed full screen - ie: so that the whole picture shows - one cannot tell if the original image was 3Mp or 16Mp (again all else being equal) - it's not "wasted" or superfluous resolution - but merely limited by the display device - ie: our current fullHD TVs are limited to showing only 1920x1080 - as higher resolution can be cropped, printed or zoomed to a greater degree - however that's not what we normally do with video.

Another example is old standard def TVs - cannot really take advantage of HD videos as they are limited by their native resolution of about 640x480 (NTSC) - so a 720p (1280x720) looks about the same as a fullHD 1080p (1920x1080) and a standard DVD which is only 720x480 - and once displayed on the standard def TV in widescreen mode is only about 640x360.....
Actually, when the higher resolution is down sampled to the lower it can be like having a higher quality camera at that resolution. So much detail is recorded at various data rates, but the higher Res cameras ussually have higher data rates (taking into account converting from different compression standards. This increased datarate detail, increases the quality at lower resolutions.

I personally think it is a bit of a waste, and must sacrifice some of the toning levels that could be achieved at the same data rates recorded at the lower resolution. This is because data goes to extra pixels, improving the sub sampling somewhat, instead of going to the correct pixel levels which are ussually sacrificed to achieve higher and higher compression, which would be even better.

Last edited by Wayne12; Nov 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:15 AM   #17

Default 4k video editing.

OK, installed my bluray player, and went over to the cyberlink website to view the upgrade offer. Surprise, it already includes 4k video editing. Now this is not the sort of product I would expect a professional to use, more a product for consumer cameras. So, I suspect we are to see 4k consumer cameras soon. enough.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...gn=CL_Homepage

I however, would recommend looking at, and waiting for, Sony Vegas, or one of the other more pro tools if you are really serious.

Actually there are some nice little features in their, now I look at it, lie de-noise, lighting control (you really should have pro 10 bit plus video for this) deinterlacing and chroma key (you really should prefer progressive video or professional 4:2:2, 4:4:4 video for this, but if it is really good it might be able to handle interlaced 4:2:0 consumer video. Don't see any mention of lens warp and chroma aberration correction, they are other big issues on consumer cameras.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware

Hmm, they seem to have replaced a lower priced version of Vegas with Movie studio platinum, I wonder if it is any better than the cyber link product, did not notice 4k.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:24 AM   #18

Default Get our own 4k camera made!

Do you, know, if a thousand of us got together, we should get our own custom camera made, with better options than what we get here, at a cheap price. If fifty thousand we can get better again. There are companies that produce cameras that can do this, like they do fr rebadged cameras already.

Imagine, a 4k camera with manual and push button auto every thing, live HDMI recording port, maybe even USB or sata raw out recording port, or too card, with pro level control options for less than $1000, much less. If only it was so cheap to get somebody to make a 4k TV set, but maybe a led projector could be done similarly to fullhd projectors. A wall sized picture in a darkened room sounds good to me at that price.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:39 AM   #19

Default What we really need is a Low pro camera show.

What we really need is a Low pro camera show. Where we get sponsors (manufacturers) to show our sorts of cameras. Good hybrids, good cheap cameras and equipment that are so good even a basic basic professional might like one. LA, NY, London or Sydney every year, press and public invited, public running demonstrations showing new product, how to get into and use the cameras and equipments. Just thinking.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:55 AM   #20

Pretty slow week, camera wise, but here is some other interesting 4k stuff:

OK, a mistake, there is actually three displays on the AUO page, two of which are mirror displays for stores, that is where the touch and facial recognition come in. So can it be used for surface ir not?

OK, cheap 4k TV's are coming. But "cheap" is a relative term.

It is cheap compared to around $20k+ financial monsters from firms you should not buy them from. There was talk of $7k 4k TV sets, where are they (crickets chirping in the silence). So a hero company Hi sense, has stepped in talking about 50 inch for less than $6k. And OEM display maker (for other TV brands) has announced their IGZO LCD, like Sharp is doing for Apple. But there are compromises.

1) Though I suspect they can do it for $6k or $5k, in reality $2-3k is the sweet spot, so I expect $3-4k price. In reality a set could be done for $1k-2k if they had production worked and enough volume. I do not know about IGZO at this stage, because it is such a new process.

2) The Hisense set does not mention color gamut (color range, for some popping realistic extreme colors) , has a range of features, including 3d, is not touch (unfortunately for those wanting a computer table on windows surface and android), but lists only up to 30fps at 4k, when 60fps should be a minimum. I suspect the first ambarella 4k cameras to be 30fps, but after than people with 50 or 60 fps footage and video might be disappointed. Maybe it only uses HDMI 4a, that is limited to 30fps at 4k, I think. The quicker they get a new thunderbolt/display link, HDMI, that does 60fos 3d, the better.

The AUO panel uses the IGZO LCD type. Unlike normal LCD's that now days let up to 50% of the back light through, this lets up to 90%, so maybe half to a quarter the power (due to the electronics etc power consumption not coming down) over present low powered sets. There are other advantages to. They mention touch and facial recognition, there are two planned mirror displays that acts as mirror with display shining through (I dint know of the mirror can be fully turned off). So, cool. But what is this, only 96% of the NTSC color range. This is an old limited color range specification, but pleasant, the human eye sees around 200%, and good led TV's have been going past 100% for years, even led rear projection TV's, and laserVue TV's get closer to 200%, man it is nice, lie looking at fireworks. So, 96% on IGZO, I would have expected closer to 140% with serious effort, and 160-170% would be well pleasing.

http://asia.cnet.com/a-unique-4k-tv-...a-62218551.htm
http://www.gizmowatch.com/chinese-hi...d-storage.html
http://gizmodo.com/5953002/this-no+n...k-sonys-4k-ass
http://www.dealerscope.com/article/h...-shows-4k-tv/2

Auo
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/a...-4k-tv-screen/

Sony is announcing expensive 4k camera soon.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/s...-october-30th/

Red has slightly used Scarlet x's for $5k off (still over $7k + extras).
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/16/r...arlets-5k-off/

Reality projector:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/r...aser-hands-on/

Last edited by Wayne12; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Mistake, touch is in mirror monitors.