Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

View Poll Results: Are you interested in going 4k, and how much are you prepared to pay?:
Like a regressive, I am not interested in going 4k. 0 0%
I am willing to pay more than $500 for a 4k ultrahd hybrid camera. 1 50.00%
I am willing to pay $300-$500 for a 4k ultrahd hybrid camera. 0 0%
I am willing to pay less $300 for a 4k ultrahd hybrid camera, you stooges. 1 50.00%
I am willing to pay more than $5000 for a 4k ultrahd TV. 0 0%
I am willing to pay more than $3000-$5000 for a 4k ultrahd TV. 1 50.00%
I am willing to pay more than $2000-$3000 for a 4k ultrahd TV. 0 0%
I am willing to pay less than $2000 for a 4k ultrahd TV, you stooges. 0 0%
I am willing to pay more than $1000 for a 4k ultrahd monitor or 27-32 inch TV set. 1 50.00%
I am willing to pay less than $1000 for a 4k ultrahd monitor or 27-32 inch TV set, please! 1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:16 AM   #21

Surely, there are consumer 4k cameras to go with this (will those crickets shut up). 4k is a terribly botched up release. To sell 4k you need a use (crickets again). Intel processor ivy bridge supports 4k now. Display link and HDMI now support it, but having a 50-84 inch plus desktop monitor at many times the price of a deluxe desktop monitor, does not help. There is no 4k video content disc format, though places like YouTube I think support 4k files (if you can afford the cost you can download the native file if available, as a member, for better quality). No conventional 4k TV that I know of. There is no consumer cameras (except, choke, the Canon, but at that price I think not too consumer). You need at least a couple of these things in the consumer, and a couple in the computer, spaces to make it work in those spaces. Computers have the application for it, but the displays dint gave the price ir size (though 50 inch is very tempting). TV's dint have the content. Though, if you look in my previous post, the redray projector has a very advanced 4k video codec that works in 20mb/s online with cinema like results. They are aiming for independent production content. A note, I was planning a better video compression system years ago, and these guys used to hang around the same place as me, and I did discuss a number of new and improved techniques I came up with, but not the better ones.

Last edited by Wayne12; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:19 AM   #22

Default UltraHD is the new name, with wider color gamut.

Groan, been ignoring this, because it is just another stupid thing that happens. Super HD is no longer 4k, and Ultra HD just 8K, they had to go and confuse it. 4k is now Ultra HD.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/10/st...oper-name-now/

The good news is that the new standard will have much wider colour range, as can be seen in the diagram of the Wikipedia article below. But this seems to suit the manufacturers, as the human eye can see much more, and they could have made cover 100% of human vision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_UHDTV and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-h...ion_television

There was enough problems with 720p and 1080i (not so full) being HD until they called one fullhd (but 720p and 1080p native would have been fine). Now is 8k going to become fullultrahd or something, looks like an Asian word doesn't it. HD, HD+, Super HD, Super HD+ or ultra HD, would have been fine. How are they going to top ultrahd, megaHD or spectacular HD, with the Megatron Transformer coming out of the screen. Ultra should have been left till last.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:25 AM   #23

News Flash. Sony is also planing a 4k 20 Mb/s video on the HEVC replacement codec for h264.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/09/so...han-you-think/

I suspect a desperate attempt to compete with redray, and smoothed vision.

At the moment they have 50Mb/s h264 system.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:23 AM   #24

Will standby the av he format is awesome Somy can buy back my cameras first before I purchase a higher system
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:14 AM   #25

Default Red One, 4.5k resolution camera $4k.

Forgot about you guys, been tracking this pre announcement.

Red has reduced the price of the 4.5k RedOne from $25k to 4k (but you need to spend thousands on buts and pieces to make it useably work for you.). Been eyeing it at their store, but decided against it. It is showing it's age, 66db snr, 13 stops, 30 fps Max 4.5k etc 60fps 3k though, which is over 4 times the Res of 720p, so over double fullhd. In reality it is a heavy commitment, skill set, knowledge and handling expertise to get cinema quality, plus the extra expense of extra equipment on top of the camera extras. It also starting to look like a good Sony pocket stills camera in sensor performance,except the 4.5k, 4k, 3k recording, cinema quality codec and features etc.

The upmarket 5k resolution Epic X comes down to $19k, and apparently, is the most prolific new digital cinema camera out there, they sold so many. Its sensor is a top rated sensor, but is to be super seeded by the Dragon sensor next year ($6k upgrade) 6k resolution.

The 5k Scarlet gets a more modest price reduction to $7950.

These cameras are like crack in the cinema industry.

Anyway, still waiting for a small 4k hybrid to wipe the smile off these guys faces, and turn it into a laugh .
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:16 AM   #26

Where is everybody Fishy, this hybrid forum used to be the place to be for hybrids on the net?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:31 AM   #27

I wish somebody would release a cheap small Raw/uncompressed/visually lossless recording 4kp50 4/3rds camera, with sound recording that I could stick this new ultra short lens design I found, and call it a hybrid. :-)
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
Where is everybody Fishy, this hybrid forum used to be the place to be for hybrids on the net?
I wish I knew that question my friend? A Ghost town it is.

I see only five of us left. And cannot answer for the website. Any ideas to try to get this up on its toes?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:50 AM   #29

They sold, they are down, and no way can you revive a site, section.

If Steves offered a in house product to be tested, and returned in a time limit, I think more would be interested.

So maybe they can get some of that cash to that 4k and we see this spring up like no tomorrow. Otherwise hearing that tumbleweed blowing,.... ghost town.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Otherwise hearing that tumbleweed blowing,.... ghost town.
FWIW - I'm still reading your guys.

Although, for now, 4k is a bit too rich for me -
too resource intensive and too expensive... for now.

But I am very interested in seeing what might come down the consumer pipeline - after all 36Mp was basically unimaginable in still photography 12 years ago when 2-3Mp was considered the high end.

Video in that period has only gone from the lowly 480p 640x480 to FullHD - 1080p 1920x1080 -

4k video may not seem that much of a leap in comparison - 4096x3072 - is about 12Mp -
however it is continuous at 30fps or even 60fps...
for today's technology is a high bit rate.......
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote