Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:12 AM   #1

Default Are phones ultimate hybrids?

Think about it, phones include a lot of features in a hybrid form factor, they just are not primarily video cameras.

Even though a phone might be a hybrid, the thing about phones is they just often are not as good as quality as a traditional hybrid camera in videoing, unless you are talking about SD resolution on a good phone. The reason for this is simple, they often use cheaper smaller lower quality sensor chips and there is only so much performance you can fit into a phone practically. Where as you can do high quality compression and data rate in standard definition on a phone, once you get to full HD you are taxing phones to get anywhere near even good quality in recorded video or sensor image performance. But as processor and sensor performance, and battery life increases, eventually we should have high quality 60p full HD on most phones. We might expect a ten times increase in battery life on phones eventually, but will ever get high quality ultrahd p60 on most phones in the next 10 years is another issue. We expect advances in certain quantum computer and optical techniques in the next ten years or so, but normal computer processing circuited are maxing out. However, a big enough phone with higher quality larger sensor can perform as well, but tend to be much more expensive, and there are a few additional 3d techniques to squeeze out a bit of extra performance in traditional silicon circuits.

The hybrids normally use ambarella chips that use customized high quality circuits, with their high quality compression routine. By using this type of circuit technique in a phone they can significantly boost performance, again, maybe at a price.

So for now, a hybrid or compact camera can reign supreme over a phone of the same price,and if you want to film high quality fullhd p60, then you probably are going to get better quality on a small camera. However, at some time phones should be able to catch up with high quality full HD at least.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2

Well 125 views, not one response. I've been wondering if most of those views are search engine logging the page.

Looking at the zi12 thread there are 334 views and three lots of posts, the initial ones posted together by Fishy, one from me and another by Fishy. Taking off four views for me and Fishy, that works out to be around 110 each. Which would mean up to at least 15 views for this thread from people. I am seeing similar quantity in the 4k camera watch thread, where I list two cheap 4k cameras but only one response.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:34 PM   #3

Wayne. it's a dead site. a ghost town, reverse pychology (SP)

We can change this around , add a cellphone to the section?

This is a review site, the community left. and All I can do is think out loud; The site gets camera's to Review. There are sections and adm, mod for each. They could have sent out a camera to the in house, and with a return label or forward label, with ample time, to go out review- wait, that is called Beta testing, feedback.....

and for your contribution and help, maybe allow to keep one .

I guess in order to change this around, one can offer a solution, but $$ runs the show.... I hear what you are saying and hope I am not going to be the only one responding to your question. I am sure you will capture one's attention...

Cyber Beers to you my friend!

142nd viewe and 2nd poster
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:47 PM   #4

Well, I'm one of those who read this post and my lack of response until now is because I have no idea what the post is about. At first glance it reads like spam but given the number of posts you two guys have and the length of time you have been on the forum I imagine that your posts do have a point; I just cannot work out what it is.
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:16 PM   #5

Yeah, I'm posting around a few places to see how many people are coming, and I think I'm seeing the same number of hits per post per day. It is just such a shame, if most of the hits come from people searching, that's good, but if it is mainly from the search engines registration themselves, that is a waste.

Think of it this way, if you have lots of useful or important information of interest to a lot of people that other sites don't have, then some of them will Google you and stay, but we really need a blog like comment system like in nofilm school, or 43rumors, where people don't have to register to comment. People casually comment and drop by more and more, building up a cried that the registers for the forum. I was on another site years ago where your comments were automatically inserted in forum threads.

Putting a phone forum here might not help much anymore, unfortunately, there has to be reason to attract new people. With what has happened here, maybe I could buy Steve's for a tenth the price they paid for it, but I could start a more successful site for a tenth that price again. It is not like a empty block of land, it is like housing real estate, you have to maintain it.

I know some people that want to start up an open source camera platform, maybe they should have a low cost quality camera forum to mix it up.

I think what we are really interested in here is handheld/pocket filming. Hmm there we go, handheld/pocket/micro/remote filming forum (video on stills, hybrid, phone, action & radio controlled) to really mix it up. I was thinking of starting a professional subscription forum for my other project that stalled, $100 a year (professional).
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkms View Post
Well, I'm one of those who read this post and my lack of response until now is because I have no idea what the post is about. At first glance it reads like spam but given the number of posts you two guys have and the length of time you have been on the forum I imagine that your posts do have a point; I just cannot work out what it is.
It is wandering around a bit, walk about, talking about insider stuff lately. You are welcome here Blkms. I, and I don't know about fishy, have been working under the assumption those views were from real viewers keeping an eye on a thread (as there are only a few active threads) instead of a search engine loading it to register it. The only other way for such an constant even number of people every day I post, is if over a hundred registered users are subscribed to the thread and turn up, but they would start responding to it.

The original question was are mobile phones the ultimate hybrid, hardly selling anything to anybody. See the definition of hybrid cameras covered here was pretty simple, they were cameras that had a hybrid of video and still functionality, and then sound recording, ussually in a pistol grip shape. But then normal compact cameras started doing that and people started moving on, but hybrids often did better quality, then mobiles started getting good and popular for filming and more moved on, even though hybrids often are better. We also got diverted into miniature and pen cameras, that start dropping extra hybrid features.. But we missed the point, of where people went, and that hybrid phones and tablets had even more hybrid features, and programmable. For instance I had an idea years ago for an application that could measure objects from photographs, and a bit more, now there is an app that measures objects, a useful extra hybrid function. Redline, is another useful function that reads barcodes of products and gives you prices, useful for even more people. Many years ago, I had an idea for computer glasses that could overlay images as to where a store was down the street, building outlines addresses names and ownership etc, now Google glasses with camera does it, useful for most people. So there are heaps of hybrid camera features that could be discussed here. The other camera and hybrid subforums could virtually be one forum.

Thanks

Wayne.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:25 AM   #7

Thank you for reading the post B...... Guys have good day.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:38 AM   #8

OK, the conversation confines over here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...-software.html

I've got recordings of around 90+mb/s on my old tablet, but fairly erratic.

Last edited by Wayne12; Sep 23, 2013 at 1:38 AM.