Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:55 AM   #1

Default Android Camera Camcorder software?

Here's an idea, is there any good information resources on good camera and camcorder software? There is a market to replace dumb on device software with nice software.

Such software could be created with all the hybrid video/photo functions you want.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:19 PM   #2

After many hours I have some answers, mostly on IOS, like filmic pro, which should make Fishy happy.

On Android LgcameraPro seems a leader:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ameraPro&hl=en

Plus there maybe at least a few more.

It seems my estimates of the restriction on phones compared to the much cheaper ambarella based cameras are true. Max data rates on previous top end phones maybe restricted to 48mb/s, while ambarella was moving well past that in the ultra HD chipset. It maybe that their comoressiin was also superior and likely at lower power consumption per unit of picture quality (better compression might take more processing but yields better quality, so it is useful to talk power consumption for the quality). A custom circuit should be able to keep ahead. One of the benefits of custom circuits is shorter sure length travel times through the processing and more efficient and direct usage of the circuit. So a custom circuit could do more per watt running efficiently at capacity (however, there are possible exceptions to this, especially when a custom circuit is under utilized and parts of the circuit sit idle and the general purpose circuits are very small running at capacity).
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:39 PM   #3

Filmic classic, known as Filmic pro 1, and later on a sequel called FilmicPro 2, they changed the name as well. and I am aware....

Nice try though
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:32 AM   #4

Hmm, does the note use the same camera as the iPhone? I am thinking maybe not. The touch is the right size for very small cam.

I was able to get my tablet to record 90+mb/s mpeg4 but fairly erratic (Mpeg4 requires less processing power than h264, but might just be a mpeg2 version in a mpeg4, container which is less again, but 90+mb/s mpeg2 is like 45+mb/s or 30+mb/s h264 if done right). (re-edit: Turned out false, the actual recorded files were less than the app said, but still a lot better than normal).

Last edited by Wayne12; Oct 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:34 AM   #5

Hmm, I don't need to buy one of those sub $1k JVC full sized action camcorders. Time to try this on my phone.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:44 AM   #6

I should say about those 90+mb/s recordings that I suspect they were filling up the memory buffer, and maybe even been post processed after stopping and before saving. Which means, once internal ram/videoram is used up it might stop after so many seconds and even crash the machine.

Last edited by Wayne12; Sep 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:20 AM   #7

Ok, ran my other tablet and got good only on h264, at over 50mb/s 720p. Looks like you have to test each mode setting to find out what works,
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:25 AM   #8

Ok, sad news about the Samsung Note 3 and Acer Liquid S2 4k phones. Around 47Mb/s in 4k, and the Acer seems limited to 24fps which it can barely keep up with.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:15 AM   #9

Watch the Sony thread of DD, and see how may people join a discussion, if its just us We are the few around keeping this section alive and that is a crying shame.

I got one more review to do here.

And I got one offtopic review to do that I will place here.

And all I can say is ......................
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:41 AM   #10

Doing another test in the other thread, seems strange. The second day did not get a full value of views.