Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:52 PM   #1

Default Oh wow... this place died. Here's why

It's been 4 years since I last visited. At least according to the ticker that says "You last visited: Sep 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM"

Looking at the complete lack of threads about anything, it seems like a ghost town. I joined June 24, 2007. I think that was right around the time that the iPhone first debuted.

I bought an Aiptek Go-HD and was fascinated and impressed. Then I purchased a Sanyo HD 700. Then I bought a Sanyo HD2000. Picked up a wide angle lens. A external microphone. I spent $100+ on a 32mb SD card.

Then.......... Nothing.

Why???????

Two words: Cell Phone.

I started to take video on my hacked iPhone (the first one). Then I upgraded and took video on the Samsung Galaxy SI (the first one as well). Then the Galaxy SIII. Then the Galaxy SV.

Yes, I still use the HD2000. It's awesome. It sits next to my monitor (8 inches away from me right now) constantly charged and ready to go. Why would I buy another video camera? Ever?

So, it's sad this "Hybrid" forum is dying, but it is. It's actually dead. And you can thank Apple and Google for that. And I don't mind really. I love having the ability to take a video, flick a button and text, then upload the video, all in about 30 seconds. No more taking the SD card to my PC...

Convenience always wins over quality. If not, I'd take every video with my HD2000. And people would only buy BluRay and not stream crappy HD movies.

Anyway, I will still pop back by here, but mainly for nostalgia.
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:35 PM   #2

People walked away lol
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:56 PM   #3

Ya Ive noticed it too. People drop by, look at posted images and leave without saying a thing. The place seems brain dead and on life support. I hope things change before the undertaker shows up.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:42 AM   #4

those are Ibot searchers that the posts are found on search engines lol. dam did I note myself, I bet I did
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:11 AM   #5

I'm popping again. Look I can't run the updates on the watch thread myself, but nobody except a few like Donald would bother to share anything new on it, let alone look for new things they are not directly buying and post a link on it.

I've been in all reality dying up till 2010, and need help just let o look after myself let alone anybody else. But I'm hers to update the watch thread, because it us a worthy thing. Anybody that is not brain dead looking for that stuff can just put in a number of cheaper 4k cameras in google and it should have popped up, except I forgot to keep a index post of all cameras, anybody?

Anyway, things are changjng, ambarella has a 4kp60 h264 chip now, and it will do 4kp30 in lower bit rate h265 (probably pretty impressive it doesn't top out at 4kp15). The other big news is modular phones. Manufacturers, apart from offering chesp cameras based on cheaper older 4kp30 h264 ambarella chip (I assume there is a low powered edition around) they can ditch ambarella and use modular phone platform components to cheaply make a camera, or phone/tablet platform. Aiptek and dxg need to wake up.that there are still opportunities to make cameras, or at least high quality tablets with high quality canera components for the enthusiast. Sure they are not going to be making 18 models till they are coming out the ears of the retail chain, but can make one or so and hit.their mailing lists. The other news is that Intel has button sized processor platform.

So something could come, but the real issue was that the site really needed to actively push with the times. You have to go out and win new user not just wait fur them. But this site was not about that.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:04 AM   #6

Wayne, I feel the digicam world has so technologically advanced making good photographic results so easily obtainable that the fun has gone out of it.

Most of it seems to be smartphones and selfies now!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:49 PM   #7

Sections with todays cell stuff. this Place DIED!

revive, revive. when when