Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:28 PM   #1

Default Yi TechnologyY4k+ Full review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DywCrLduT3M

This camera has been out just Under a year. something you do want to be looking at if you can not afford top dollar prices. check out the vid
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:30 AM   #2

You beat me to it Fishy. I was waiting for this camera since maybe last year.

I just came over to post a whole thread on it, after I realised the you could change lens, and even use lens adaptor cage for fully manual. It's here:

https ://forums.steves-digicams.com/1413488-post1.html

Last edited by Wayne12; Dec 31, 2017 at 8:57 AM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:47 AM   #3

I would like to say. That I expect a better version. The latest firmware will do 4000x3000 at 30fps. But aprently there are some cheap strange versions without manual or documentation and different firmware. I don't know what that comment I came across was about, wherever they were warning of knockoffs.

It will probably outdo most phones with the lens adaptor manual controls. It maybe similar level of dynamic range and performance to the latest LG V30. It is just a shame that action cameras don't have optional multifocal lens and manual control cage to give hybrid like functionality, with a bit more. For instance, I really like the idea of combination hybrid and audio recorder with good twin mics, which used to be available. If only it could do the video like this one, I might be using now. All that stuff would blow away normal phone use in ease and functionality etc.

Ambarella has had 8k chipsets for a while. So, I'm hoping for at least a 6k version (they downscale the resolution of these to deliver better 4k video). But I've seen 6k sensors on the books for a couple of years, so maybe 8k will be available, but probably not in a Sony sensor, like this camera uses.

There are accessories, including a microphone adaptor cable I think plugs into the USB-C port, and USB-C shutter sync cables allowing two or more of these cameras to be connected together for VR (there is a big VR rig on their site like this) but to me it says 3D, and better, multipoint 3D. . This sort of 3D collects enough angles to refocus in post and alter things more than 2 camera multipoint. The Red Hydrogen camera phone will have a multipoint module maybe with 6 or more lenses. But just the phone will start out around $1200US. So, it might still workout cheaper than buying 4 of these and working out a frame for them. But, I hope these will drop in price a lot this year if a new model is released. Besides, maybe a cheaper camera already allows this.

The new Sony technology is much better, so they might go for an even smaller sensor with similar performance.

Thanks for the review Fishy.

Last edited by Wayne12; Dec 31, 2017 at 8:56 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:33 AM   #4

Here is a thread on the new VR180:

https://forums.steves-digicams.com/h...ml#post1413642
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:21 AM   #5

I've Yi Lite (70) and Yi 4K+ (210) - both are "perfect" action cams,
Yi Lite has Sony 16mpixel sensor, but only 4K/20fps - but 4K+
makes videos with 4K/60fps.

Additional I bought mFT camera Yi M1 with 4K/30fps, suitable for
all my lenses from 6.5mm up to 500mm - price was unbeatable 231
with lens 12-40mm

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:42 PM   #6

Thanks guys: If this site created a Like or thank you button we be smacking it for sure. Yi 1st gen Yi Lite, Yi4k and y4k Plus Lovem. No questions asked. GoPro go the EIS down pact on the hero 6 all I can say for that?

The Yi360 if they as well GoPro Fusion simply enabled their single lens Enough said.

Yeah Wayne I held back could have brought more action to the site back then Lol. it's quiet here and hoping it picks up

DD awesome to see them they are a excellent product
enjoy them,