Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:37 PM   #1

Default Still waiting Yi Horizons vr180.

Still waiting to hear more about this camera, even a M1 M4/3rds or 4k+ replacements.

Seems there is a march camera expo many new Canon models are coming to. Maybe other manufacturers will be there too.

The time of the year of CES in the holidays, has not been a favourite. I wonder if the camera companies are retargwting releases.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:44 AM   #2

Can't wait to See what Sony has to offer. I get a Sony. Yi Technology is not a bad Young innovators product from Xiaomi that got the kids started and Sami Luo Moving on from the division and to other good places. Michael and the others are pushing their products out there . and Huge is one of them. I wonder the same about Gopro. taking a smartphone interior and putting to good use. that is my humble opinion.

I always had in the back of my mind when smartphones released and the cameras some one make it to a action camera and that is what you see today .
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:56 AM   #3

Good to see you Fishy. Tried to look at your live video drive the other day when it turned up, but I couldn't hear on my phone where I was.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:03 AM   #4

Have a look at these:
4k+ hacked to do 230mb/s (not sure if the 270mb/s is faulty from camera or card).

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/...icial-topic/p3

https://github.com/irungentoo/Xiaomi...ased_framerate
https://github.com/irungentoo/Xiaomi...ased_framerate
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:16 AM   #5

and soon we'll be 500mbits. can your todays Pc or lap handle it.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:11 PM   #6

Research a laptop with the right compression/decompression hardware. Even software that uses the gpu instead. You will probably find stuff that handles under 300mb/s, but 500mb/s is not needed unless you are doing intra or 8k. Vizzigig did 600mb/s 4k jpeg1 intra on an iPhone 4s I think. Probably desirable on a laptop. Probably more now they are going beyond 4k on the latest phones. Or use an intermediate codec, like the now opensource free cineform. Preserves the image better in post manipulations, but designed to be very hardware efficient for an intermediate codec (actually, h264 requires more processing, but they give laptops hardware support for it).

Above 200mb/s 4k is prime. Some people compress at above 500 megabytes per second pro (4000mb/s), and those computers are horendous.

Last edited by Wayne12; Feb 20, 2018 at 6:13 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:23 PM   #7

Fishy. The magnetic processing technology expected, and storage advances, should easily handle 500mb/s+ in 5-10 years. So, expect a lot more of it, because conventional compression rates have not kept up. H264-h265-h266 are said to be 50% the storage as the previous (though I'm not convinced with h265) but resolution has gone up 4x each, from fullhd to UHD to suhd. Then there is HDR wide color and high framerates coming, plus even more bit depth (12 bits+) and 4:2:2 (instead of 4:2:0)pixels are desirable and holographic 3D with many times more data needed (144x even).
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:27 PM   #8

Using this sort of technogy:
http://www.newsshooter.com/2018/02/2...-image-sensor/

Red camera has been said to be coming to the consumer space (probably meaning $2k-$5k) 8k, and expensive phones. But this would put pressure on our end of the market to lift their game.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:19 AM   #9

And we'l be pass 8 k in a few years lol we all want Imax movie screens in our house that will blow your mind away. our pockets are so deep and maybe only a select few can afford it. we're up to 100mbits and that is not good enough Lol.