Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 29, 2006, 4:08 PM   #61

Hi Guys! I am now part of the hybrid community having got myself a great little Mustek DV4000. I got it second-hand from ebay and it cost me $28. I think that's a bargain
Had a quickplay with it to check that everything works ok (it does), but can't wait til I have some more time to really play around. I have read a lot on this forum and around the web about hybrid cams. I know the picture quality isn't that great, but it's an ideal little cam just for fun and for carrying around for the heck of it. Like I've read many times - if you want to take excellent movies and pictures of that once-in-a-lifetime experience, then buy a proper camcorder. But for economy and everyday basic use, I think this little Mustek will be a real find.

By the way - this is a grade A superb site! You have no idea how helpful it has been in helping me to learn about hybrids.

nantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 5:17 PM   #62

Nantha, thank you very Much you have noIdea how happy I am to see a new member being very happy with an outcome like this ( yes just got arguing with the post office) (lol)

the 400 series is an excellent one at that I own the in between ones 3500 and 4500. it takes an excellent pic and vid hope you learn how to use it in a snap good luck
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 6:56 PM   #63

Well, after using my Mustek 5300 for about 3-4 months continuously now, I have decided that it will certainly beuseful in many ways. But I have also been able to conclude that I need another camera to take pix where high speed (race cars) are involved. I use the little thing for stills at work where I travel from job to job and upload quite a bit to my computer for identification and for customer bids, very handy.

Videos at 10 fps (hi res) or 30 fps (med res) are a toss up. It does not work well at all in low light. The dissapointment came this weekend when filming pix at the Long Beach Grand Prix. I had all the pix I took centered within the LCD and snapped many (I thought) frames, that the "quick review" feature of the camera confirmed as perfectly centered. The bummer was when I reviewed my shots, all I had were excellent pix of an empty track. It seems that the shutter sound and image shown captured occur a frame or two before the actual capture occurs. Like a novice skeet shooter, when I hear the shutter and see the image on the screen I stopped moving my camera. When the shutter did operate there was nothing there buy a guardrail. Needless to say I was very dissappointed.:sad:

I noticed something like it before when using the flash. The shutter sound would "click" and the flash would occur just after that time. The image in the quick review screen did not show the flash although when reviewing the files, the flash went off at the proper time to illuminate the subject. I have really only used the "sports" selection of the photo options I have because it seems to have the least amount of blur caused by my unsteady hand.

I guess I will still enjoy it for work, but now I'm faced with questions regarding my next camera selection for high speed sports use with a high optical zoom.

You do get what you pay for.
stevenwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 6:14 AM   #64

Steve welcome back. As for fast pace shots, it is not best to point on a 90 degree angle. more in a foward 45 but those are the brakes. I did manage to snap a shot while on the side of the highway at night and agree slow shutter caused a red light traile kewl effect though (lol).

When opting for a beter professional camera keep in mind the closer you zoom in on, the harder to keep a steady hand at a fast pace object., as you mentioned in a Pm try looking at some SLR models they have come down quite alot, I just watched fora few minutes a 7.1 olympus stated interchangable lens at 299.99 wit hall the attachments , excluded lens no model number, but waterproof.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:53 AM   #65

Hi im also new, and also reading some few postings concerning hybrid digicams coz i just got my DDV-7000 and my problem is did you find a converter/encoder of MPEG movies/MP4 etc to be avi file inorder for me to transfer and view some of short movie clips from my PC?... got any idea...

another thing have you ever tried using MMC 512 rather than SD card as memory coz im planning to use the same memory card to my cellphone..

thanks...

ruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:11 PM   #66

welcome aboard. most hybrid camers today, we use sd cards over mmc cards which are for me hard 2 find. the digilife Ulead pkg came with some neat sftwr, and that is just enough to get stuff from the pc to the camera to your cellphone with ease. It may take a few tries to figure out how to do it, and if you have looked pass page one moe to the end of all pages you'll find " A how to use software" and vid samples

That lil card for the camera cellpohne may not be the best to use as cellphones have their own files. Welcome aboard again.
Old May 17, 2006, 7:23 AM   #67

Hi all,

sorry, i forgot to introduce myself; i had not seen this topic yet.

My name is Arnaud, I live in Nice, south of France;I used to work in the US for Digital around Boston, years ago.

Iam very pleased to discover this forum andthe very kind members and moderator here; i found the forum with Google.

I normally use an old Canon Powershot A60, my son bought recently a surprisingAiptek DV8900, and my daughter a Samsung Digimax 600.

Thanks to all and Fishy for the intersting topics, and kindness.:-)

Arnaud

ajousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 2:24 PM   #68

those are ver Kind Words Ajousee..............

we try Our best to keep the digital hybrds alive and kicking way after the Purchase. style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" we Mke it fun, simple, and helpful. hope you take the time to learn a few tricks, and share some as well .:|the Mods....
Old May 29, 2006, 10:20 PM   #69

Well i jumped head first into the world of hybrid cameras... i tried to do as much research as i possibly could and thats how i ended up here... after seeing so many cameras on Ebay, i decided to check them out... and once i found this site i was astounded by the support and information to be gained from these forums... I was really taken over by the help that is handed out without a second thought... for such a following for a piece of technology, it must be something to look into so here i am.. taking my first plunge into the unknown... but i know i will come out with my head ablove water due to this site and those who are here...

enough of the thinking thing... just wanted you to know where i am coming from and all... by the way im Justin from Va Beach... i am currently a student at Liberty University in Lynchburg Va and am studying to teach at a private school someday soon... i really enjoy making videos, especially when i am working at camp during the summer... me and my boys really have a good time with this and cant wait to use my new hybrid this summer... :ak47:

I just purchased a Digilife 1000 from ebay and wont get it till this weekend, but once i do i will make sure i get some stuff on there so i cna show you guys some life on film............:|

:-DWell i really couldnt wait to get my camera, so i saw one used at a pawn shop and picked it up so i could mess around with it... its a bit older and not as nice as the one i am getting this weekend but cant not have enough technology... i picked up a DXG 305v... if any one knows anything about them i would love to get some insights... thanks and heres to what hopes to be a bright beginning....

Lbrtyyoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:58 PM   #70

Just a reminder july 20th will be a 1 year to date on the site, and about this time we were scrambeling for a better site . now we have over

12 pages, 40,000 views on certain posts and the best members one can ask for.

enjoy every one