Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:40 PM   #161

Have been waiting for the Digilife HD cameras to turn up on ebay, so I did an google search using all the different names I knew of, and lots of pages out there:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...22&btnG=Search

Does not seem to be available, have an friend in the states at the moment and thinking of asking him to pick up an Aiptek instead, any of these digilife HDs available?

Have articles that claim one of the models has Micron sensor chip, which is not exactly high quality, or low quality. The 820 camera I think saw reference to using an Panasonic CCD (hope thats wrong but by the image resolutions it seems to be so).

http://203.66.210.64/computex/pressc...html?docno=758
http://www.image-acquire.com/other_b...camcorder.html
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:48 AM   #162

Thanks for the research, Wayne 12. I'm most interested in the DDV-970. However, I'm going to wait until I can find out from a prior buyer if the microphone is any good. I made that mistake with the DDV-5120A and its USELESS microphone, and don't intend to get burned again. Audio is a fundamental component of video.

That is, if the 970 ever shows up on the market.

The Aiptek A-HD sounds good, but the lack of an MP3 player is an annoyance, and not having an optical zoom is a show-stopper for me.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:27 PM   #163

I thought AHD was the one with MP3?

About Microphones. The AHD for instance. At $140, it is worth opening it up and wiring in an better microphone. If ti is the circuits themselves, sound card sites sometimes have hacks to improve sound quality. However, virtually all the AHD cameras on my ebay search seem to be around $250US or more, so maybe not so cheap.

Anyway, new HD cameras anybody?

What about all those Kodak cameras that have HD, they could be classified (similar size and practicality) as hybrids. What about all those AVCHD solidstate cameras?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:32 AM   #164

www.aiptek.com makes no mention on the A-HD's features list of the A-HD having an mp3 player. Perhaps an owner could verify if it does.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:00 PM   #165

Added a couple of cameras to the list:

Another Digilife vapourcam. The DDV-993 claims 1280x720 video at a whopping (whopper?) 60fps.

And the Sanyo HD700.

Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:47 PM   #166

I've got an question, what is happening with that? Are they just giving different model numbers for the same camera in different markets, like other companies?

Re-Edit:
Seems like an different cam (5mp). Have an theory, that the delays and cancellations are caused by delays in supply, like the Ambarella chip. Year before last, Samsung was to release an 60FPS pocket camera using the ambarella chip at around 16mb/S. It got delayed and cancelled. The upcoming Hitachi camcorder seems to have similar codec spec. So, I wonder if digilife is waiting for related chips.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:16 PM   #167

My take on this is that Digilife/Ispan has a different "take" on what a product website is for. Usually, such websites are for displaying existing product, available for purchase. It appears to me Digilife/Ispan also uses their website for their marketing and/or engineering departments to show what they're thinking about. Sort of like show cars. Maybe the cameras displayed will be produced, and maybe they won't.

I have serious reservations about this strategy because it makes it impossible to keep track of which of their cameras actually are available. I think probably it frustrates potential customers, and delays sales as we await newer/better cameras. (Not knowing if and when the cameras really will show up.) I wish they'd stop it.

As for the naming, it appears to me that Digilife has a set of names. I'm not sure of what exactly is Ispan's relationship to them, perhaps their vendor arm. Ispan applies a different set of names.

I kind of have to include all the Digilife cameras on the Hybrid List because I have no way of knowing which will show up, when. About once a year I go through the list and do Internet searches to delete any that obviously never reached production.

Then there's the various other businesses that order enough Digilife cams that they can have Digilife put their own name stickers on the cameras. There are so many organizations doing this that I've given up trying to keep track of all of them.

And then, I suspect there are outlets that buy enough cameras from Digilife that they can specify a set of specs that may not match any of the core Digife models. Yet more recipe for confusion. How nice it would be to track first tier manufacturers, since there aren't rebranded Sony or Panasonic cameras.

The interesting thing is that while Digilife's strategy MAY sell more cameras, it impairs the establishment of a brand image. And the vapourcams should simply be labelled as such, so we can still admire them, but not be sucked into waiting for them.

Advertising cameras on the basis of which components they are thinking about using, or are waiting for, seems like a way to frustrate customers. And people who try to maintain lists of cameras.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:44 AM   #168

Have you every considered launching an website for your list, sell advertising, and approach the companies to email you every time an camera is planned to be released, and released (including sub-brands). Would solve problems.

The relabeling is bad, what happens with other devices, is that trading companies order with their own brand on it. In the west, what used to happen is that middle/distribution companies ordered it as the manufactures brand, in the East they seem to favor the other approach an bit.

But when you want updates support, you might be lucky to get recent drivers.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:56 PM   #169

Interesting ideas, Wayne12. I'm not sure if the manufacturers would be impressed at 75,000 views in three years, but it might work out.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:33 AM   #170

Forgot, link it is with google (to increase the views) allow manufacturers to advertise. Steve might like to host an redirected site, funnel people here.