Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:09 PM   #181

Thanks.

Old HACer wrote:
Quote:
Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
What's the specification, does it do more than 30fps.
No, just 30 fps.

The rest of the specs areĀ* here
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:34 PM   #182

Digilife DDV-1100HD

As the model name implies, this appears to be a DDV-1100 with 720p and D1 resolutions added. It also has HDMI output. Same as Ispan 993?

Attached Images

Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:22 AM   #183

I sure looks like the HDV-993. It's easy to get these and the DDV-990, DDV-995 and DDV-992 mixed up. I have no idea why the sizes are so different, because it looks to me like all of them use the same case.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:48 AM   #184

Well it is Feb and I have decided to contact Ispan again over their HDV-993. The web page still says October, which is what I think it said before October last year, I hope it is not October this year.

The document I got last year from them, lacked the number of minutes on a 4GB card for the 720p60. The web page now has a time, and has 30fps instead of 60fps, I hope that is a mis-print.

The data-rate roughly works out to be 6.5843621399176954732510288065844 , well around 6.5Mb/s, which means somewhere around 6mb/s for video, which is what Ambarella was claiming in the past for 720p60 (that they could do it in). I hope this is for 720p30, and that there is a 720p60 mode with 12mb/s plus.

There has been some debate about small increases in data-rate compared to ther resolution. Ambarella claims the same quality for these smaller increases in data-rate, and I agree to a certain extent.

To illustrate this, I was thinking last night about how possible it would be to make a DVD coding standard that maintains standard definition compatibility with existing players and adding extra HD data in another format for supporting players. Basically this is the one thing that could give Blu-ray a run for it's money, and it reminded me that some company had such a scheme in times past, but now we can use the latest codec technology (like low cost ambarella) double layer red laser disk, 100GB single layer red laser disk that existing players can support through a bios upgrade (announced a few years back, maybe two different ones, one used shapes of dots to increase data density). The compromise for standard disks was to make them 640*360 SD and restrict bandwidth to 6mb/s and give the rest (even dual layer data-rates) to 1280*720HD.

Anyway, back to the theoretical reality at hand. It occurred to me that the HD information would actually require a few extra mbit persecond+ using a Mpeg2 derived scheme. You are recording one bit more precision in one part, and differential HD detail information in the other (favouring edge preservation) along with predicted extra lines and differential detail for them (this stuff I have discussed over at dvinfo). 60p compresses well compared to 30p because at that frame rate frames are more similar to each other, and if movement is so fast as to be less compressible, it may also be less noticeable to our eyes and require less accuracy and data-rate anyway. The compromise, the rub, you get is that, with noise removal, if the camera, or detail in the scene, moves very little, then yes you can get similar results for these 20% increases in bandwidth, but move the camera a lot, or add noise of lots of details and the results might not be so desirable. So, it is a good compromise for consumers given enough extra bandwidth to avoid too many problems, but to be safe, I would suggest a 1:1 % increase in pixel rate as data-rate increases.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:13 PM   #185

I'm impressed at the stuff you know about coding etc. Nothing I can add to that.

But as far as Ispan's camera release dates, they've proven to be 90% useless misinformation.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:26 PM   #186

I got an email back from them, I think the camera is available somewhere from what they say, but no dealer in Australia.

I do hope the camera is not 6mb/s 30fps now, but 60fps hope fully with much more data rate. But even at 60fps 6mb/s I would still consider it for consumer (providing you can do reasonable speed pans and other camera movement without great desegregation). I am asking them about this.

I do not have an lot of money to spread around (I am considering an main camera like the Casio etc and some equipment, and this as an carry around second camera) so don't want waste money internationally ordering and finding out how good it is).

So, is anybody planning on getting one anyway that can post shots to the forum and answer an few basic questions on data rate and hdmi?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:38 PM   #187

I have got an idea, anybody know how to contact Google, and request an review submission site and lookup mechanism, to get away from all those useless shopping sites that make it hard to find real information in google results. Where reviewers can freely submit their reviews as consumer detailed review, or official site reviews, with no shopping sites allowed. This could extend to a mechanism to submit information and advanced information that is published on the web (no shopping sites allowed again). Manufacturers could also register there new products through this. Anybody that wants to shop instead can do a normal google search.

This would make it an lot easier to get information to this thread etc.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:46 AM   #188

New camera, Toshiba Camileo HD:
http://www.tech.co.uk/gadgets/digita...leid=662204083

OK, the 993 ISpan is 30fps, all documents, no misprint, and looks like the Digi-life, very disappointing.

There is an site with the 1100, and I am thinking.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:52 PM   #189

Mustek has 3 new hybrids out. Nothing technically interesting other than the 550 appearing to be very small/thin.

DV300T, DV524, DV550

Old May 7, 2008, 11:09 PM   #190

I wonder when the 720p60 digilife model is going to be out.

Also, I might have mentioned this, the HDV-993 from Ispan is 720p30, not 720p60 as it says in the list (waited a very long time for that one to be disappointed).

However don't get me wrong, the 993 still looks like a pretty feature rich product outside of being a camera.