Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:10 AM   #221

Here is a list of brands, it needs some additions, this is a community oriented and edited encyclopedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._camera_brands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uipment_makers
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...topic_id=63602
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:29 AM   #222

New Additions:

Sanyo
VPC-HD100

Jazz
DV151
ProDV

Cobra
DVC3000
DDC3100
DVC3300
DVC4000

Sony Webbie
MHS-PM1
MHS-CM1
Webbie HD

Aiptek
AHD GVS

RCA Small Wonder
EZ101
EZ105
EZ200
EZ201
EZ205
EZ207
EZ210
EZ300
EZ209HD
EZ300HD

Samsung H-Series
HMX-R10
HMX-H100
HMX-H104
HMX-H105
HMX-H106

JVC Everio
GZ-MC100
GZ-HD300
GZ-HD320
GZ-HM200

SVP
HD-T100
HD-T200
HD-T400
HDDV-2700
HDDV-3001

Kodak
ZX1

Sanyo
VPC-HD100

Insignia
720P HD (Digilife clone)

Catching up on a few month's backlog of new "hybrids".

The proliferation of hybrid-like cameras is making it difficult to decide what's a hybrid.

At one end of the scale, there are still/camcorders that are so simple by today's standards that they're not of interest to us. The RCA Small Wonders are a good example. Then there's the increasing number of digital still/video cameras marketed for children, yet perform like the original hybrids. At the other end of the scale are the new Samsung H-Series, which are basically camcorders that can take stills and record to solid state memory.

MP3 capability has always been a hallmark of a hybrid, but it's clear the people here no longer regard mp3 as an essential feature of cameras they'd like to own.

I don't want to cover the kid's cameras or camcorders. There is also the continual introduction of clones. So there will be some partially arbitrary decisions made about what to include in the Hybrid List.

RCA annoyingly fails to provide specifications for the Small Wonders. They have a bunch of similar, but even less capable models. I find it enough of a bother to include their better models in the list without the slew of even simpler versions.

Mustek is notable for not issuing new cams for months.

The Sanyo VPC-HD100: can anyone verify if it has mp3 and face recognition? Someone mentioned it does, but I've been unable to confirm it.

The good thing in all this is that there are now "hybrid" cameras in the affordable price range, with performance specs that we could only dream about a few years ago.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:30 AM   #223

It doesn't exactly fit in here, but here's an update on my cam "collection".

I sold the Digilife DDV-5120A. The new owners dropped it, and it's supposed to be on its way back to me for a "nothing to lose" repair attempt.

I've kept the Diglife DDV-920 because it's my best cam for dim light, and it's now the only one I have with Video-In.

The Digilife DDV-730 is the only cam I have that has LED's for night video, but it's somewhat disappointing otherwise. The colors aren't great and there's no way to lock the noisy and hyperactive autofocus. It can display text files, but who ever does that?

The Samsung i6 continues to be the most satisfying camera I've ever owned, and is used as a backup. It has the best mp3 sound, and is still the only pmp camera I've ever been able to replay edited video movies on.

I use the Sanyo CG65 most of the time, in the highest video resolution mode. It has various annoyances such as quirky autofocus and stabilization, chronic under- or over-exposure in snow, lens flares, and no mp3. It also has some nice features like control shortcuts, good stereo mics, and an excellent macro mode.

Then there's the two fairly stupid and useless Oregon Scientific helmet cams. I don't use them at all.

It would be nice to get something that would take even sharper video than the CG65, but editing the video would overwhelm my pc and I don't feel like buying a new pc for a while. So I can't see upgrading from the CG65 for at least a year.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:22 PM   #224

What people really associate with it is pocket hand gun grip cameras. The truth is that any camera, any, with video and still is a hybrid, and there are too many to keep up with. It would probably be good if Steve could include all video capabilities in his camera database. However, event he 595v might not be regarded as a hybrid under these terms (if we says that is a hybrid, what about the Sony SR12). To solve the issue might require a forum rename to narrow down the types of cameras.

Maybe we should regard a hybrid as a cheap pocketable single handed camera with video and and still functions etc, that body and function are designed as a camcorder first. Pocket hybrid camcorder. This really what we mean over the still cameras. But there are many small camcorders coming to the market.

About the clones, it is just a major pain, all these companies trying to become something by re-badging, others, products. We have ten times too many products on the market. But even in the clones they come with different feature options. If you look at the cameras sold in the Aldi stores, even though they look like 596v's they have significantly additional feature (I don't know if any are lacking). So that is something too look for. But as I have said before a database/wiki, that members make entries too, and the moderator verifies (approves) is an easy way to go. As for me, I am interested in the best quality performance, value quality and best value cameras, the rest do we care?

For the clones we could have two lists, the manufacture list (we have now) and the clone list. The clone list just lists the root model (if the manufacturer sells it themselves, and then lists the clones after it and any different features (manufacturer, model, additional+features less -features). The models in the master list would be marked with C if they are cloned (or in this market, NC for not cloned). The user just uses the find function in their browser to find model in clone list and features. Still a database or wiki would help people do it themselves.

Thanks for the list and your help.

Wayne.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:00 PM   #225

Added:

DXG
DXG-581V
DXG-580V
DVG-566V
DVV-579V

Digilife
DDV-V3HD
DDV-V5HD
DDV-V3HD
DDV-H2
DDV-H3
DDV-H5
DDV-H7

Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:34 PM   #226

Added:

Sanyo
VPC-FH1
VPC-WH1
VPC-TH1
HD2000
VPC-CA9
VPC-CG10

Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:31 AM   #227

Added:

Polaroid
DVC-00725F

Rather short on specs for such a large and reputable company.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:07 AM   #228

JVC's Everio X (http://everiox.jvc.com/specifications.html): been looking for a while at this one, but only decided to post it now.
Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 4:42 PM   #229

Aiptek PocketDV AHD H5 Pro/Extreme

http://www.computex.biz/aiptek/defau...d=24685&pcode=
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:12 PM   #230

Due to the 20,000 characters in a post, it will now be impossable to add, any more info to the main post, 48,600 plus character are used already.

thank you
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote