Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:15 PM   #11

just want to remind all this camera is being shown on national cable channal called home shopping network 149 plus shipping while target sells at 159 and was on sale 130 or less when I purchased mine. check it out .
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:29 AM   #12

http://media.putfile.com/aip1

okay for those who need assurance please review this video of a tv host nervously using the camera it may help yuo decide if you need to purchase one
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:11 AM   #13

ecnomy camera bring back from the last pages for review

Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:16 PM   #14

My wife got me an Aiptek 5100M for Christmas. I was looking for a tiny camcorder to put on my helmet while I fly my powered paraglider.

I'm overwhelmingly dissapointed. The video is absolute crap on this thing. I was considering taking it back and "upgrading" (I use that term loosely) to the IS-DV because it is rated at 30 fps in 640x480 mode. After playing with my 5100, I don't think I will get another one of these things.

I can detect no difference in video quality between 640x480 and the lower resolutions. It's all crappy. The only difference is the slower frame rate in 640x480 mode. Other than that, you can't tellthe difference in the resolutions when played back.

I realize this thing isn't going to give the quality of a "regular" camcorder, but I certainly expected better.

A friend of mine got an Orgon Scientific TSC-1000, a small, self contained bullet camera.No LCD, no MP3 player or all that other stuff, and only does 15 fps at 640x480, but the video quality is acceptable. It's about the same price as the 5100 as well. I'd still like to get 640x480 at 30 fps and at least as good video quality as the Oregon unit....so, I'm still looking around.

As for the Aipteks, forget it...total crap for video.
edlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:47 PM   #15

Edlance first welcome.

I do share your sorrowness.

The Is-Dv is a good camera a pc camcorder for that purpose.

Vid link http://www.youtube.com/?v=T99g9Q7Jj-4

This vid was made from the camera at a high res 640x480 at 30fps actual rate 29.8 fps

on a sunny day, camera on my head rest, it was dark, it taken a over casted day to get a better clip.

This was again my second purchase. my 1st was a review that had some pixalation , my second one was 92.00 WOW! and 2 weeks later a few days before xas day I was lucky 5 minutes on line and ot the door....

The interior lens cover or attachment was loose.

no regrets. One C note is put aside for a 25x optical Camcorder............

in Best buy if you are referring to that helmet camcorder. 99.99 go there purchase it and test it out see if it is worth the money?

I again am sorry. that you had a bad outcome and hope it will not put a damper on future research of hybrids.

a few models are top line and creative labs states a crisper footage but again they are all pc camcorders not home movie camcorder. in the air i would want optical zoom that exspression of your fellow gliders WOW!

and vids of it PLEASE!

Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:41 AM   #16

Thanks for the welcome.

Sorry if I came off strong against the Aiptek, but it really is horrible. Again, I know the video quality isn't going to be "regular camcorder" material, but I expected at leasta bit better. My daughter's little cheapo Fisher Price camera does better!!

I guess I'll have a look at the Creative models and see how that goes. I'll just have to see if any stores in my area carry them. My local Best Buy and CompUSA don't have any of these hybrids so i can check them out first hand.

I was lookingat the Microtek MV500, but can't find any place that sells them or has them in stock. Tiger Direct is out of stock.

If/when I ever get a video solution, I'l post some clips of us flying.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:58 PM   #17

no stores carries most hybrids. target is the aipteks place of purchase , toys r us for a look alike mustek. and do not say you are sorry for the IS-Dv al coments are very informitive good or bad
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:03 AM   #18

Yeah, found that out today, looked everywhere. Sigh. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I knew I should never have sold off all my skydiving film gear. Would have worked great for this. Oh well, live and learn.

My buddy brought his Oregon Scientific bullet cam out for flying this afternoon, unfortunately, we didn't get any video. He hit the record button right before take off and it did create a video file on the SD card, only it was 0Kb in length...lol! Evidently, the batteries were run down and about the time it created the file it shut down before it could save any video. That's the biggest drawback to this bullet cam, no feedback from it while flying. It does beep and all, but with a communications helmet on and a 2-stroke motor whirring on your back, no way you can hear it. Guess we'll have to try again this weekend...with fresh batteries! Heh.

I'm kinda stuck in one of those places where I'm not sure what to do. If I go with a cheapy hybrid, at least I will be able to get some video, however crappy it is and save up for good gear later....or just not bother and wait until I can get good gear..again. Some of the new tiny cameras and remote digital recorders are pretty sweet, albeit pricey. A wireless unit (camera, mount, wireless transmitter/receiver and a 20GB recorder unit run about $1,000+ but the vid quality is excellent.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:01 AM   #19

I HEAR YA!

i want a camcorder and cannot afford a good one as well but I haveabout 6 hybrids hmmm could have gotten a camcorder if I did not purchase the 6.

I was in the rc cars/trucks. and yes thousands of $$$ now igot one I traded for plastic helicoptor, that was not for me. both parties were happy on trade off. so Ebay may be your best bet but I bet you'll get someone elses headaches on electronics I trusta major store. look into the samsung miniket , but they say it is good not great.

again for that money a camcorder can be had a canon 100 model 188 20x optical jvc as well within price range if you are going to spen 150 for one and weight is a factor for you hybrid but mounting a camcorder on a helmet may looka lil awkward. so you may want to ind out about external lens

just guessing again sorry for the dissappointment,
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:18 AM   #20

Fishy,

I checked out that vid clip you posted.....man, terrible. Nothing is in focus at all. You can barely tell what some things are along the road. If the focus were better, I could live with it. I'm more interested in someone being able to tell what they are seeing rather than color correctness, etc.

Oh well, still looking. Weather has been crappy this week, so no flying.....