Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:53 PM   #1

AiptekIs-Dv (dv5700)stabilization camera 129. 00 at target

welcome:

this is the aiptekIS-DV (5700)review

http://www.aiptek.com 159.00 refurbished 129.00

retail 129.00 sale at target 12-11-05 $92.00

online ranges from 0-200

specs are located at site Please review them.

On the cameras plastic container it states;

mpeg4 dig camcorder with vid stablilization. mp3 voice 5meg printer direct rechargable battery usb webcam red eye reduction

The box also states 8x10 prints 1.8" tft screen better visability records vhs quality sd/mmc and up to a 1 gig card etc

The reverse side talks about its memory and other dig cam's memory320x240 3min-240 min other 1.5 min -64 min no statement on higher quality.

the pkg is nicely wrapped all protected, with bags.

Camera does feel plasticy, not like the competitor the mustek metal or aluminium cover that leads to me that mustek will take a hit and last. Plastic will break over bending metal.

theIS-DV(5700) review out of the box compaired to mustek

theIS_DV(5700) is a little bigger by3/8 of an inch a little narrower then mustek, has a tilt screen opens 90 degrees only,wider or double the flash size, a softled on the front , for the timer and on the rear a green led for power

remember i am reviewing as I see the camera for the first time a closed or near closed lens possably lens cover will be opted for the cam. WHilw mustek is stuck out a good 1/8 -14 inch

Buttons on the outside of the cam are playbacks and the rear has a navigation joystick scairy think that will break in the long run. looks like a resest record button and two others a mode and menue with a rubber cover for its usb and ear peice, and av

the top has a camera button and a timer while again the record for vid is in mid back wish all were on the top and all the buttons functions are in side behind the screen like mustek. the tft screen opes 90 degrees and no more the speaker is located on the top. and can be controlled by increments in volume.

the bottom has the sd card and tripod locations covered by a rubber insert.

Now that while i AM REVIEWING THE BATTERY it's charging, the battery is small a phone cell or gameboy size will it be possable to place the gameboy batt in its place we'll see at a later time. 3 good hours to charge, batt is 3/4 full and still charge 3 full hours. the battery will not just stop when hits full it has to go through a timer. good and bad.

as the battery charged taken over 2-4 hours around a good 3 hours.

I loaded it in and turned on the camera for the fist time, it produces a sound , very nice to let you know it is on, turning off no sound solid off. you navigate the joystick, and it is simple once you know your camera, has so many features special effect, ev exposure and it shows you right on the lcd , rather then guesing when after you view and taken your shot.

this camera has 3 settings for the stills low med high simple 3x5 4x6-5x7 and 8x10 known as 1 m 3m 5m, as for the vid hvga I believe and vga the hvga is the lower 320x 280 and vga 640 480 somewhere in that fashion. I would like to see a 3rd setting even lower or between. you can turn on/off the stabelizer, the flash etc.

I hope this review is helpful in ways my comments on this camera theIS-DV (5700)compaired to the aiptek dv5300 and mustek dv5000

I cannot compair at this time but I can comment that all three cameras has its unique features

The mustek still stands out by far in my hands easy to hold long lasting batteries no rechargables to worry about and the aiptek 5300 a different hold like the sony cybershot or mustek dv5500 or the hanshing a different point of view , swival screen. aiptek did one good thing seperating the vid record and still record. as mustekek you have to hit a key each time and that causes wear. and its 16 square settings is confussing.

thank you again and stay tooned for the stills shots as well as vid shots in any of my reviews it is hard to say which one has a better picture or vid it is all up to the user, I am happy I did pay the retail value andI hope that I will have many years of use, I will purchase an extra battery or find out if I can order a 2aa pack that is of konica they make one, and tht is what i need

my review continued

I loaded the usb only turned the camera on and recognised it as a dv5700 and then tells me it has to have software due to currupted file. that is normal for me to see that the drivers are working and possable webcam might be disabled. I have taken shots and they are posted now for some video links and see if they are worth every penny.

more stills this still is at normal 1m and no zoom

this still is at normal1m at full zoom

I am totally blown away with the still shots perfect color on a cloudy and overcast day and within 1 minute after the zoom shot it rained.

this is at the rain while driving at 5 mph

videos links

this video is at vhs or vga 640x480, with stabilizition on. a panned shot of the harbour, if wind is present there will be crackl ein the speaker,

what was nice about the video at the bottom there was a concert set up,music playing and it was a good 500 yards away,not loud but enough to hear in the vid

1) link 1 no zoom till the end

http://media.putfile.com/CLIP00118235

the second link, is of the same pannning, at the beginning I started zooming in to full. there is a good amount of distortion, you'll see how blurry it becomes, I should have made one at half zoom, but this can be fixed with software.

2)link of total zoom 4x digital

http://media.putfile.com/CLIP001258

link 2.1

http://media.putfile.com/Default7755

this link is software zoom. I do not know if you can control how much zoom, but you can control the duration of it. you be the judge it is the software that is included wuth the camera

link 3

wating at the light a street car or transit car passed by, notice at the start, it is white and then clear and how the color will adjust as shadows etc catch's the lens. a perfect shot .

link 3

http://media.putfile.com/CLIP000780

as you may notice I am not a perfect person, I make tons of mistakes. I do know

with all the cameras I own, I recommend to you

1 )

take your time when vid shots allow the 1st 3 sec's to be wasted, as well as the end.

2)

when snapping a still do not move the camera till at lease 3 sec's after you hear the sound of the shutter releasing.

3)

allow the camera to turn on, focus and adjust to the light cmos lens are picky ccd lens are picky in their way as well.

4)

keep calm, cool, and collective and you'll come out with perfect shots and vids. this discussion is open and still under construction

mustek dv5000compaired to the IS-DV (5700)
a aluminium body excellent feal to the camera.
a different camera longer lens, 3 special effects, still/vid/mp3/etc. machro on lens as a switch you rotate the lens.no swival nd you have n option for the tft to have a tic tac toe or off/on. a set of functions you have to go through to get fromvid to still etc. zoom record all on top super simple, but a oppositefeal for the zoom and steady stream in two settings. a super blue l.e.d lite very annoying apon glass shots or mirror shots, allows viewrs to know thay are being recorded usb, av ear are protectected by rubber. and a tripod location while the sd/batt is behind a fixed cover. internal speaker/mic. outcome of mustek a powerful camera for a econimical one highly recommended for battery life unlimited recording up to a 512 sd card 2 hr 52 min of film up to 6 hours of playback on a single set of lithiums.

aiptek dv5300

aluminium body , exclent feel to the hands camera stands totally the opposite of the two, has a slide tft that is a swival and adjustments to the light. a hybernation modem has ev,(exposure values) cloudy sunny etc modes , special effects smaller sized batteries for extra light and smaller body. no mp3 player and less battery life. small sized flash. with a extra wide lens with soft l.e.d. lites on the front and rear, shows your viewers you are recording as well, and duel color l.e.d. speaker/mic are super small. unlimited vid 2 hr 50 min, or until the batteries die. no life on the battery 1 hour plus max on rechargables. camera is recommended for its superb size and quality

Aiptek IS-DV (5700)aluminium look, plastic body good feal to the hands, camera controls situated in different areas nav joy stick allows you to choose special effects shown on screen with ev. cloudy sunny etc . reco on rear while stills on top simply put. shaky hands do not need to worry, a built in stabilizer thick tft screen and swival,closed so you may view your play backs, docking station 3 hour charge, add'l battery, and cover sold separatly . highly recommended if you are serious about the camera.

mustek over the aiptek dv5700 and aiptek Is-Dv over the aiptek dv5300 aiptek Is-Dv over the mustek dv5000 You wnat extras I recommend the aiptek Is-Dv

You want extra features go with the Is-Dv

you want on the go , go with the dv5000

you want style , go with the 5300 but over all I recommend either the aiptek Is-Dv or the Mustek dv5000

thank you for readingthis review I hope this will help anyone that is in the need fora good camera, cost is reasonable and worth every penny

addt'l info

my trip , I have taken the duck tour it started at 2 pm finished at 330 pm the camera on all the time and recorded 99% of the trip it lasted that long and more I did have a problem. I did not see the counter timing on record, I thought I filled up the sd card, i tried numerous times, but had no knowing if I had extra in there. so When i removed the sd card it said card exchange. so after I got the orginal in I had time on it hmmm, batt is real low, so now I am going to transfer my vid, and wouldn't you know you need battery power to do that usb has no power to cam bad thing to have but lets see the outcome
as I reviewed my pics and vid on a folder the size was 400 plus so I had a glitch on the unit thought I recorded a section thank you for mustek i got it on the other camera so all is never lost stay tooned for a movie

duck tours

Gerald pane from the other forum wrote, his review;

I've been reading this forum and everything else I could find on the net to try to find a mini-digi-camcorder (somebody needs to coin a better phrase for these gadgets, just to simplify searching ) that I could use to make family videos and the like for DVDs. (Native MPEG2 encoding would probably be much better[well, just simpler?] for my use) Anyhow, I ended up driving about 30 miles to the "local" Target store last night and purchased an IS-DV hoping it would do, so here goes:

Construction seems sound enough, but it is plastic. No LENS CAP in my sealed package -somebody must have goofed... (according to the manual and the string attached to the handstrap there is supposed to be one.) Seems to be an optical glass(?) window on the outside with a TINY lens/aperture mechanism behind it so it looks pretty safe as long as it's handled with reasonable care. (I was afraid the outer "lens" was plastic and would scratch way too easily)

Sensor: 5MP interpolated, 2048x1536 native(I think.)

Digital Zoom: 4X -even in 640x480 video mode, so it gets a bit blocky on the long end of the zoom past 3.2X (ie 2048 / 3.2 = 640 pixels)

FPS: Windows Media Player 9 for Win98SE indicates 15 FPS, but it must really be 30, I think it's too smooth for 15FPS... Media Player bug? Really only tested VGA mode, but assume CIF would easily manage 30FPS since it's 1/4 the data stream.

Li-ION battery: NP-60, 1000mah, takes around 3.5 hours to charge first time, perhaps more like 2-2.5 hours later I'd guess, since the charger is rated for 500mah. Battery seems to last pretty well, but I was all over the place checking features, erasing, recording, transferring, etc., so it's hard to give a clear picture. Either the manual or a sticker on camera bottom states "500 ma draw maximum on USB", so I'm guessing the battery might last about 2 hours for video recording or playback...

Compression: according to Media Player: 1217Kbps or 1.217Mbps, and my own calculations based on a few tests confirm the ballpark. There is apparently some wiggle room, so I'm guessing the encoding might be a VBR rather than CBR? (VariableBitRate, ConstantBR...) Or maybe the timing varies a bit as Media Player said an average of 14.9 FPS... (this has to be a Media Player or codec bug as it has to be ~30FPS -it looks too smooth -for the most part.) This bitrate seems to indicate one could just about fit an entire hour on a 512MB card in the 640x480(VGA) 30FPS mode... Interesting as the chart states 120 minutes on 512MB in CIF mode, so one would expect only about 30 minutes in VGA mode? Unless they use a lower bitrate for VGA mode than the 4X's area ratio one would expect based on the CIF mode? (If VGA is 4X's larger, I'd expect a 4X's larger bitrate -but maybe this is a MPEG4 Compression advantage compared to MPEG2?)

Personally, I'd prefer something nearer 20-30 minutes in 512MB if it were MPEG2, since it's MPEG4 and I'm not familiar enough with it- the jury is still out. To be frank, it doesn't look bad on the computer.

Price: $129! Not bad, considering they still have it at $159 on their website. (Target)

Stabilization: Had it turned on all the time. Seems decent, but things got a bit jerky at what seemed like a reasonable hand panning rate(about half the rate most people seem to think when they grab a video camera) indoors with enough light coming through a picture window that the video still looked good -with about 2X digital zoom.

Okay, the bottom line is that it's going back. Why? Well, a few reasons:

MPEG4... I'm trying to find something somewhat economical(Okay less than a $4-500 SV-AV100 or a $900 Everio) and reasonably small to capture video for eventual DVD storage/playback. The problem is that it's awkward and slow to re-encode to Mpeg2 and then still have to encode, assemble, etc. for DVD. Matter of fact, a quick test seemed to indicate it would take about 8 hours to convert every hour of video captured in MPEG4 into MPEG2 on my 900Mhz Athlon -and I can't believe re-encoding will help quality in any way. I know it's not a speed demon these days, but even 2 or 3X's increase in speed would still be slow. If I could convert to MPEG2 at a rate of 1 minute per minute of video then I'd possibly consider it.(sort of realtime) At this point I could just as easily feed the video/audio streams from the camera into my DVD Xpress and let it hardware MPEG2 encode them in real time... (If you want a decent USB hardware MPEG2 encoder[for under $100] that could easily produce great TV episodes and movies for later viewing or DVD from Dish Network quality material at 4Mbps CBR encoding then look no further!)

The software that comes with the IS-DV, Power Director VE, is a trial version and it doesn't even offer the conversion to MPEG2(well, not for saving it as a file) without an upgrade. (Surprise!) Though the software would apparently convert it to make a DVD and burn it for you. (I didn't waste the DVD to find out.) I really wanted to open it with VideoStudio 7, but it choked on the native .asp files saying "improper indexing, or file contains no index" and I couldn't get PD VE to spit the files out as Mpeg2.

Bottom line for me is that it would simply be too much messing around to get MPEG2 from it. The video quality isn't bad on the computer, but I've seen far better from the DVD Xpress encoded in MPEG2. I realize that's apples and oranges, but this is a gut reaction kind of thing based on output from my 10 year old 8mm Sony Handycam being fed into the DVD Xpress. Granted, the Handycam won't fit in a pocket(The IS-DV would be a stretch for a pocket, but it is tiny -just a bit thickish) or playback MP3s, but that's not why I bought the IS-DV.

Low light performance is plain awful. Just painful. I'm sorry, but it is. Directly under a 75 watt bare fixture not 5 feet away, the video looked like something you'd see in a dark, "haunted" ride at a carnival. That's not exactly an uncommon characteristic of these mini-camcorders. My 10 year old Sony 8MM Handycam beats it by MILES, literally night and day -without even trying. I'd say these mini-digi-cams are limited to decent lighting for the time being. The unfortunate paradox is that if you get the IS-DV out in enough light to get decent video, the LCD is very hard to see. Without a viewfinder that makes the IS-DV a bit hard to use.

Don't get me wrong folks, I like the IS-DV, but it's just not going to make it for my needs. I'm not even buying a media card to evaluate it beyond the 49 second clips I've made with the internal memory.

Never-Never Land: How to make a better mouse trap, based on what I've seen so far: Forget the "big" LCD, or supplement it, and give the user a decent viewfinder that can be seen in bright lighting. Give choices for encoding methods (MPEG4, DiVX, MPEG2) and bitrates.(I'm guessing this is radically limited by the hardware since 1.2Mbits seems a very low rate for 640x480 to me, but I may be wrong and it may be decent for Mpeg4 -I don't see a lot of objectionable artifacting, but do see some) Find a better low light sensor and give it a big enough diameter lens to do some good capturing light. Include an optical zoom, even if it's a manual zoom with a slide or rotating mechanism of some sort. The IS-DV's digizoom isn't bad until the limit where it has to interpolate up to get 640x480, but past it is blocky and should have been limited in software.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until I can try an SV-AV100 or a Samsung Miniket SC-M105 out to see if they'll do? I don't want to go the MiniDV route, but that may be the best compromise for the time being, though it'll still take a long time to transfer video and then encode it for Mpeg2. BIG SIGH... Maybe the DVD recorders would be simplest?

What are the rest of you doing for now for fair to decent quality stuff?

Lastly, I can say that if I didn't have a camcorder and a better way to encode to MPEG2, the IS-DV is the only really low end unit I'd consider based on specs I've seen so far. Most of the low end units don't manage VGA @ 30FPS and only a few have stabilization.

One last thought, will there ever be a way we can get manufacturers to clearly provide bitrates, low light performance data, etc. to the consumer?

I hope this benefits someone. Good luck in your searches, as well.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 1:54 PM   #2

Thanks for the info, I am looking forward to seeing how the video quality is. If there's any way you can post samples, that would be great.

I currently see this one at Target.com for $159, was there a sale that I missed out on?

For $129, if it can do half decent VGA video, I might pick one up. Our camcorder is out of commission for the second time, they have such complicated tape-loading mechanisms.
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:03 PM   #3

the pro's of the IS-DV (5700)

1.excellent still shots with the stabilizer on if it in sync other then vid

2.2.5-4.0hr battery charge a good 2.0 plus battery life (need battery to view on pc)

3.easy access to still button and zoom,

4 good gripp to the camera

5sd accessable from the outside with rubber cover

6strap location under front ,out of the lens way

7. standby has 1,3,5 or constant on great for whn you are not ready

8. vid stll files are separate name pict0001 clip0001 no confussion

9 tells you card change possable battery exhastion as well

cons

1.battery needs to be in the camera for pc transfers and webcam , poor design, low battery will delay you from adding files and curruptions caused by dead batt

2. poor vid record button. once you hit it and then you need to stop you should waste 3 sec's of the end of the vidso you do not have to fumble for the stop button of the camera.

3 filming, if sun isglaring cmos lens whites out hte beginning of the film , I had a dead area 20 sec's of filming camera never corrected itself, not a defect, just glitched on certain area.

4 battery cradle not supportive enough ,needs a snap lock in for battery , accedently hitting it will toss batt out

5 tft screen tilt need moe then a 90 degree turn possable 100 degree like the mustek. swival is fine

6 tft lcd view record , and counter if record, should had bin highlighted or a different colour so you know you are recording

7 time of card remaining. should have been a feature, gussing if you have a filled card. I hada problem where I was out of sd space while exchanging cards it fixed itself. 400 mb used 100 plus left when viewed file

8 battery cover is sold as an option will wear out in time extras are suggested if you are agitated and need to get the battery out in a hurry, should have been a clip and turn away cover

9 sd card is in the bottom if you fumble with it while on a tour , and do not seat it , and fumble you may lose the card for sure only secure fix is to turn the camera on its back and work with it that way. until you got it securely in, otherwise be careful

10 tft screen needs a lil push to close if not you lean up you open it , normal on all cameras

11 no still shots while recording vid

12 no pause on any economy camera you must stop your record and continue

The list can go on and on with the pro's and con's

What I like about my ne camera no more hand shaking, no more worries about bluured pictures, just have to be careful when i replace a battery or sd card i do not lose those parts. any camera you decide to puchase will have pro's and con's and what I like best and hate the most are poor record buttons I preferre them to be in an easy spot on top and a good battery life well hope all my info helped out and look for further pics and vids later on
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4

3rd day in and just got back in from a trail. and ride I will be placing, the vid up if all goes well with its software.

camera has glitch's as I am filming the sound does not pick up like the mustek nice and sesitive, but it is Aiptek. the camera films nicelly till I watched about the 13th clip in. pixalation for a few sec's it can be the sd card not to speed or the camera not accepting hte vid. if this was a onetime glitch I would not complain. I thought I also hada nice still shot, but I believe that was my fault like i also thought when my vid was not filming excitement will do that to you.

1 pixals from tine 2 time.

2 blurred shots when you think it took it but did not. I am still happy and not complaining, works like a charm , but if keeps persisting as I take my vids/stills it will be a back up.

this vid is of gunpowder NCR trails from Cockyville md -York pa. webpage can be found at http://www.brokenclaw.com/biking/biking.html

very intersting info

I am walking and Yes the camera is of my stride, hard to keep still. sun is at the fullest so perfect shots need time.

http://media.putfile.com/gunpowder
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:06 PM   #5

Quote:
MPEG4... I'm trying to find something somewhat economical(Okay less than a $4-500 SV-AV100 or a $900 Everio) and reasonably small to capture video for eventual DVD storage/playback. The problem is that it's awkward and slow to re-encode to Mpeg2 and then still have to encode, assemble, etc. for DVD. Matter of fact, a quick test seemed to indicate it would take about 8 hours to convert every hour of video captured in MPEG4 into MPEG2 on my 900Mhz Athlon -and I can't believe re-encoding will help quality in any way. I know it's not a speed demon these days, but even 2 or 3X's increase in speed would still be slow. If I could convert to MPEG2 at a rate of 1 minute per minute of video then I'd possibly consider it.(sort of realtime) At this point I could just as easily feed the video/audio streams from the camera into my DVD Xpress and let it hardware MPEG2 encode them in real time... (If you want a decent USB hardware MPEG2 encoder[for under $100] that could easily produce great TV episodes and movies for later viewing or DVD from Dish Network quality material at 4Mbps CBR encoding then look no further!)
This can be partly alleviated in software. For example, I'm pretty sure the current iMovie on the Mac allows you to work directly with MPEG4 files, and doesn't re-encode for DVD until you've completed your project and are ready to output to DVD.

If your desire to to re-encode everything after it goes onto the computer, then you're going to take a lot of time, and take up more storage space.

Even digital camcorders have this problem, as it records in DV format which is different from MPEG2.

While having a camera record in MPEG2 is nice for DVD-ready video, it is not nearly as efficient a codec as MPEG4 and you would have large file sizes (probably similar to what you get with MJPEG on regular digicams with VGA recording.)

Thanks for all the info on the Aiptek. I wish one of these companies would make a economy hybrid that shot video as well as the better digicams, it seems like they should be able to do this for under $200. As it stands, I would rather pay $300 to $350 for the Canon SD200 (MJPEG but nice quality) or perhaps the new Kodak 550 (MPEG4). (These don't have image stabilization though...)

What is the best hybrid you can get for $200-$250? How does it perform in low-light?

Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:54 AM   #6

reading the Quote, and reply. This is a mpeg4 camera.... period. Why would it be mpeg2 and lie about mpeg4?

I am not arguing, or disagreeing. but if you can back it up with a letter from the company or further proof, then we all must concider it truley to be mpeg4. a higher compressed file..

FOr conversion on The IS-DV (5700) prodirector 3 ve software ant the produce section you have the option for saving what type of file. if it would be straming, to the pc, or to a dvd, (optional). mpeg 1, mpeg 2. As you try to save it to mpeg2 you'll need upgrading.

In my topic we are reviewing the Is-DV, Can you tell me where you are quoting the person, so no confussion is directed. thank you....

When you say mpeg4 files are you saying as well all economy cameras film in mpeg4 and finishs mpeg2. b/c mustek, digilife, etc all be frauding their items as well?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:52 AM   #7

Hi Fishy,

I think we have gotten crossed up a bit. Let me clarify-

No doubt the Aiptek (and many others) record in mpeg4 only. Mpeg4 by itself is not lower quality than mpeg2, it actually has better compression algorithms so that at any given bitrate, mpeg4 will have better quality than mpeg2. If you record video at a rate of 1 megabyte per second in mpeg1,2, and 4, the mpeg4 video will have significantly better quality.

Of course, current DVD's are in mpeg2 format, so we must transcode/re-encode mpeg4 video to mpeg2 before burning to DVD. But we need to do the same thing even with DV camcorders, as DV is yet another different compression scheme.

You could conceivably make a camera that shot in mpeg2 format, but either the quality would be horrible, or you would only get about 15 minutes per gigabyte of storage with still perhaps questionable results (the nice-looking retail DVD's are compressed with much better tools than a cheap video chip found on consumer cameras, and are not done in real-time either.)

Good video-editing software on the computer will alleviate many of these problems however. I am sure the video software included with these sub $300 cameras are very poor, which is why I brought up iMovie as an example. You can import MPEG4 files directly and start editing with a minimum of hassle. Only when you are ready to burn to DVD do you need to re-encode to MPEG2, which the computer does by itself after you've walked away (since it will also take time to burn the DVD as well.)

Buying extra software is additional cost, but if you really want to edit your movies and create DVD's, it will be worth it (for other reasons as well.)

So with decent video-editing software on your computer, the goal is pretty much to get the best-quality video from your camera/camcorder, regardless of format. And MPEG4 will give better results for any given bitrate than other compression schemes.

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
reading the Quote, and reply. This is a mpeg4 camera.... period. Why would it be mpeg2 and lie about mpeg4?

I am not arguing, or disagreeing. but if you can back it up with a letter from the company or further proof, then we all must concider it truley to be mpeg4. a higher compressed file..

FOr conversion on The IS-DV (5700) prodirector 3 ve software ant the produce section you have the option for saving what type of file. if it would be straming, to the pc, or to a dvd, (optional). mpeg 1, mpeg 2. As you try to save it to mpeg2 you'll need upgrading.

In my topic we are reviewing the Is-DV, Can you tell me where you are quoting the person, so no confussion is directed. thank you....

When you say mpeg4 files are you saying as well all economy cameras film in mpeg4 and finishs mpeg2. b/c mustek, digilife, etc all be frauding their items as well?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:00 PM   #8

ThNK YOU FOR THE LESSION , VERY INFORMATIVE AND UNDERSTOOD.

I guess I d onot worry bout the mpeg formats as Iknow they do their job, and when iI edit I like win movie maker2 and it creats what it supposed to do, and when i save my file it is as a dv-avi file, then I use win dvd creator. and I get a dvd burnt.

for other software I must upgrade to get dvd burns. but I am happy with what I have thanx again.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:00 PM   #9

fishycomics,

Thanks for the comprehensive review. When I had the Aiptek DV4500, about 1 in 20 video clips was corrupted, and unusable. My Digilife cameras have never corrupted a video. If you try to operate the Digilife before it's ready, it just doesn't record anything.

I did a lot of experimentation trying to track down the problem with the Aiptek, and decided it was in the software. I got corrupted videos on various sd cards, and when using the internal memory, so it's not the memory. Trying to use the camera too quickly seemed to cause it sometimes, but not all the time it happened. So I got used to taking extra clips of important subjects because I knew some of them might be corrupted. I can always trust the Digilife.

On my Aiptek DV4500, I put some silicone grease on the "latch hooks" on the battery cover so they wouldn't wear out as fast. That made it work nice and smooth, also. The fellow I sold it to dropped it and broke the cover anyway, so he just uses a piece of tape to keep it shut. Professional!

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:11 PM   #10

duct tape 1 million 1 uses

Yes taking pics or stills at a spur is not best suited for any economy camera. The Is-dv and 202v from target allowed me to return w/o a problem and I had a good few days with both, and for taking a better pic or vid will have to go with a higher end camera.

the Is-dv held its ground , i needed to not have pixals on simple vids. the only aiptek that is secure is the dv5300 5 meg. not the 8 meg I like them all and will be amazed everytime I see a new one.