Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:58 AM   #1

Hello everyone. I got tired of the Digital World Info site so I sign up here. I just got the DigiLife DDV-M1 and quite happy with it :G. My question is, can you listen to mp3s or voice recorder without having to flip the screen outword while folding? This regards to those who have DigiLife DDV-V1 since they're similar in some ways. If you have any questions about this camera, I'll try to answer your question to the best of my knowledge.
Bukgaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:46 PM   #2

Hi Bukaggy,

Welcome to this site! Moving our information here definitely was a good thing to do, as DWI flounders in spam and outages.

Congratulations on the M1 - you must be one of the first to have one. Could I ask who you bought it from? The 5megapixel stills must look pretty good.

I have a V1 on order, supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I suspect their mp3 operation is the same as on the 720. You can't start mp3's with the screen closed, but as soon as they've been playing for a couple of seconds, you can close the screen, and the screen will shut off. I think it works the same way for the voice recorder, but I'm not sure about that. My old Aiptek DV4500 worked the same way in mp3 mode.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:18 AM   #3

I got mine from winning a bid from an eBay seller under the name Taro_Group.

As for the mp3 function, you are absolutely correct sgspirit. I did have to open the screen to play my music and was able to close it and have it function without it turning off.

On more thing, the 5mp still picture looks really good when I adjust the settings. The only problemI'm having iswhen I'm taking pictures indoors. It doesn't grab that much light source unless there is sufficient amount of it such as office lighting like someone in the forums suggested.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:13 AM   #4

Hello everybody.

This is my first post here and I need your help.

I am on the way of buying a "digilife DDV M1" from http://www.Yesasia.com just because it has "TV in" capacity and I want to record some documentaries and transfer to my PC.

Has someone tried to use the "TV in" function and done some recording and give me some feedback.

Further more can you use a 1Gb SD card with it or only the 512Mb one.

Thank you for helping.

Please feel free to email me on [email protected].
pilchardgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:20 PM   #5

Pil.... Did you clearly read the specs?

tv in capabilities, will mean, when you record your video, still, etc you will be able to view it on your television.

If you need to record a television show you must have the camera in front of it and the l.e.d. covered may get lines accross the video?

unless I mistaken the question which it says you can record a tv show directly into the camera?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:31 PM   #6

pilchardgreen wrote:
Quote:
Hello everybody.

This is my first post here and I need your help.
I am on the way of buying a "digilife DDV M1" from http://www.Yesasia.com just because it has "TV in" capacity and I want to record some documentaries and transfer to my PC.
Has someone tried to use the "TV in" function and done some recording and give me some feedback.
Further more can you use a 1Gb SD card with it or only the 512Mb one.
Thank you for helping.
Please feel free to email me on [email protected].
pilchardgreen,

Welcome! Not only will it take a 512Mb sd card, it's supposed to be able to use 2Gb cards. I haven't tested that, and given the recent discoveries of large variances from the specs, I wouldn't bet my life on any of this.

Your post prompted me to try the video-in function on my V1. Since our tv doesn't have video-out jacks, I plugged the camera's a/v cable into the vcr's video-out jacks, and just put the vcr and tv on the same channel.

I powered on the camera, and there on the screen was the output from the vcr. I pressed the video record button, and it started recording. It played back perfectly, just like any other video clip - except with higher quality visuals and sound than I've ever taken.

You know, I wonder if I can record sound off a stereo this way? Like from a tape cassette, which has no path to convert to digital / mp3. If I could record it, I probably could find an easy way to convert it to mp3. Hmmm.

Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:50 PM   #7

It's true what sgspirit said. You can record TV shows through a VCR or the TV unless it has A/V out. I used mine to record a DVD movie but just a snippet of it just to test it out because I only have a 256MB SD card.

Sgspirit, I think you can record stereo sound from A/V in but it will be in AVI format with blank video. I think there's a way to convert it to mp3.

And good luck on your purchase of a Digilife DDV-M1 pilchardgreen. Plus you'll be getting a 512MB card with it.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:23 PM   #8

A special Thank from Mauritius the sea, sun and sand Island for taking the time to reply

fishycomics excuse me but I beleive you are wrong.

I'am not electro.. but as far as I know In the jargon, TV out meand you send signal to a TV set and TV in means you capture signals from a TV.

sgspirit and buckgaggy got my point and I believe I will go on with the deal at yesasia.com although for 229.99 US dollar it's a bit expensive.

I have the ddv 7000 which I got last week from Thailand and I love it but unfortunately it hasn't has the TV in function.

ANOTHER QUESTION...

I bought the ORITE DV 3020 (well, about same as the digilife ddv 7000) for my son last month and it's very good but ............. sometimes when you change function it crashes and he has to shut off remove battery and reboot etc ........

Any Idea - unfortunately he is now in UK and I can't exchange the camera... easily although it is on warranty.

Thanks friends[img]images/emoticons/lachen001.gif[/img]

pilchardgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:49 PM   #9

pilchardgeen,

It appears to me the Orite DV3020 is a Digilife DDV-660, not a 7000. The 7000/720 has a remote control and image stabilization, while the 660 does not. That price seems on the high side for a 660, since I got my V1 for $155usd. I'll add the Orite to the Hybrid List.

The hanging problem seems unusual, since reports of this happening to Digilfe cameras are rare-to-none. Last night, deleting a bunch of mp3's, my V1 would hang occasionally, but I don't know if that was because of flaws in the mp3's. So I didn't mention it. It only hangs otherwise if I'm doing odd button combinations trying to get it to reveal the firmware version.

I used to have an Aiptek DV4500 that hung regularly every 20 minutes or so during playback only. It wasn't bad enough to return it.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:50 AM   #10

Yes I am totally wrong, I did mention tht I may have missread t at my post, now I am totally jealous of this camera

Please accept my appologese as it was answeredbefor my wake up time. now my mustek andaiptek compaired to this one is like gasoline raisng to the top in no time.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote