Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:44 PM   #21

digijim,

Thanks for checking the V1's mp3 playback. So unless more than one are defective, it seems it was never designed to be stereo. Hm, seems like an oversight. I have an email in to Digilife to see what they have to say about this. I'm sure they will reply:-)

Also the frame rate and quality comparisons are quite interesting, thanks for doing the comparisons.

Caelum,

So would it be correct to say that either asf or avi can be implemented with variable or fixed frame rates?

fishycomics,

Would it be best for me to email you a clip, so you can post it? It's about time I provided one, isn't it.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:53 PM   #22

Hello sgspirit, Thx for the review. I am presently considering buying a DDV7000. A vendor here in Bangkok is offering to sell me one for 145 USD (a display pc). That's a good px...right? Anyhow, all I want it for is mostly stills and some short videos of my children. My fancy Canon which had all the bells and whistles crapped out after just 16 months (LCD failed). I also who like to hear if anyone checked out the HOT-100. That looks very compact from the pic on Digilife web site. That isfeature that appeals to me. Just strap it arond your neck and go...my original Canon never let you forget it was on your person. Rgds, superjack
Superjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:54 PM   #23

Superjack,

Welcome! So far the hybrids seem to be pretty durable, but new models come out so fast I can't see keeping one for 16 months. I suspect you'll be using the video mode more than you expect, because you'll always be thinking of scenes of the kids that you want to share with, say, distant relatives, or you want them to be able to see many years from now.

I'll have to look up the HOT-100 and see what it is.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:55 AM   #24

sgspirit, no, youare correct that the ASF container can support variable frame rates whereas AVI cannot (they both support variable bit rate video), I wassayingthat just because an A/V file is using the ASF container does not automatically imply that ithas avariable frame rate. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I could be wrong but I'd be surprised ifa camcorderwould actually use variable frame rates. VFRmay beuseful when a video breaks out into a stills slide show, or a long segment of low frame rate animation. But for a camcorder to keep changing the frame rate sounds unlikely (to me). What appears as a variable frame rate may simply be dropped frames. This can be accomplished (even in AVI) by simply duplicating previous frames when frames are dropped, and since the compression (well, MPEG4 compression anyhow) works by frame to frame differences, it's efficient storage wise, probably as much as frequently signalling changes in frame rate.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:49 AM   #25

Hello Morris the Cat, Can you tell me how you like your DDV 7000 so far? I am thinking of buying this model too. Noted your comment on the zoom in video mode but is it just as useless with still shots? Also, any general comments you may have would be most appreciated. Rgds, Superjack :?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:48 PM   #26

Superjack wrote:
Quote:
Hello Morris the Cat, Can you tell me how you like your DDV 7000 so far? I am thinking of buying this model too. Noted your comment on the zoom in video mode but is it just as useless with still shots? Also, any general comments you may have would be most appreciated. Rgds, Superjack :?
Hi Superjack,
Yes I am quite satisfied with the DDV7000. I have a few problems with it, but the benefits outweigh them. The video is claimed to be DVD at 640*480, while acual dvd resolution is 720x480 - so digilifes dvd quality sticker kind of bugs me. I would rate the video quality to be somewhere between vhs & dvd (but closer to vhs), so long as you don't make any quick movements. As noted before the zoom in video is useless. If you like to listen to mp3's, the sound quality is poor IMHO & has a really anoying pop sound when you first start to play. I will keep with my PPC for listening to MP3's. Still pictures are fairly good at the 3mp & if you keep the zooming to below 2mp, you will still end up with fine quality pix. The flash is rather poor IMHO, so just stick to well lit areas - I use my minolta digital camera for the low light situations. Also, remember to make sure that the distance switch is set correctly, as I messed up a few pix by not paying attention. I edited a video using pinnacle studio 9, and as long as you have the codec installed, it works great. Quite jittery on the pc (probably my pc speed), but when you burn your video to disk, it is beautiful on the tv through the dvd player. For the price, i think it is a good deal. I will be keeping this for a while & won't be upgrading until somebody offers an optical zoom, which will likely be a while. It is a good replacement for my bulky old sony 8mm video camera. Enough about the 7000 already! This thread is for the V1!
morristhecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:25 PM   #27

could it be possable that you can place a vid up for us, so our future users may have a good outlook like you did? thank you fishycomics
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:16 PM   #28

morristhecat wrote:
Quote:
I will be keeping this for a while & won't be upgrading until somebody offers an optical zoom, which will likely be a while.
One way to get an optical zoom now is to buy one of the more expensive hybrids. The other way is to buy a digital still camera with 640x480/30fps mpeg-4 video. But you probably have to do without mp3 if you go that route, and pay more than the Digilife cameras cost.

I wonder what's keeping Digilife from offering an optical zoom? Surely they have the technical capability to tack it on, and surely they can source the components. Is it a difficult thing to add? Is it very costly? Do they worry they'd be going head-to-head with the first-tier makers then? Would it put them out of the economy market? Like, there are hundreds of digital still cameras with optical zooms, most of which take videos, so what could the problem be?

Interestingly, if you look at the side view picture of the V1 on http://www.digilifeusa.com, you can see the wording "3x Optical Zoom Lens". But then, it shows a lens cap and says it has a 5Mp sensor also.

Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:43 PM   #29

fyi, if you're interested, I'm continuing to add to the list of new discoveries about the V1. Including a direct video comparison between the 720 and the V1.

And if you're still interested, here's a little rant about the "undocumented" aspects of these cameras:

Do you suppose the people who design these cameras and write the software could make a master checklist of desirable features and sensible ways to do things? The differences between cameras makes it look like they don't have that task organized. If they're listening, I invite them to use my list.

It's like buying a car and not being able to find out half of what equipment it has. You have to buy it sight-unseen. It arrives at your place, and it has 5 seats, not 2, and a 4-cylinder engine, not a 6-cyl. Only the windows on the passenger's side open. The steering wheel's on the wrong side. Sounds ridiculous, but that's what it's like buying these hybrids. Except for the most casual buyers, it's going to hurt credibility and therefore sales of the hybrids, and especially annoy people upgrading to newer models. It looks very amateurish.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Digilife about the MP3 mono issue......

Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:55 AM   #30

Thx Morristhecat....if you've posted any pics using the 7000 pls let me know the location. I'd be interested in seeing them. Cheers, Superjack :-)