Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:53 PM   #41

Hi all, came across this site when looking for review's of V1, bought mine from an importer here in the UK. Was bought to replace old mustek dv3000, what an improvement! Still use fuji S5000 (Soon to be S9500) for proper stills, as the V1 is for taking out to more destructive environments(mountain biking, climbing, shooting etc). So far the results are good, nice clean video, little in the way of blurring, or artefacts. Feels solid enough.

The live histogram is a real godsend when composing pictures in tricky light,I've not seen that on a camera this cheapbefore. Although imcurious as to what thetwo in one picture mode is supposed to be used for, except for merging two halves of different peoples faces!

MP3 on mine is definitely stereo, tested playing Liz Phair - On a jet plane, lots of stereo on the intro, works fine, sound is fine, little flat compared to my gmini 400 or creative zen, but what do you expect from an all in one? So the mp3 mono problem could be a dodgy batch? Or an earlier version?, as the V1 i have is different from the pictures on the life technologies website. The buttons are below my LCD instead of down the left hand side if that helps?

mitchyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:37 PM   #42

mitchyk wrote:
Quote:
Although imcurious as to what thetwo in one picture mode is supposed to be used for, except for merging two halves of different peoples faces!
Hi Mitchyk,
I beleive the 2 in 1 is for occasions when you are with someone else & there is nobody there to take a picture of the two of you together. Then person A takes a picture of person B on the open side of the frame, then you switch while person B takes a picture of person A on the other open side of the frame. The resultant picture will be of both persons A & B together in the scene pretending that they were like that all along.
morristhecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:29 PM   #43

But surely i could just use the self timer? I don't know, it's not practical for doing a panorama, as it's still only one frame. Think i'm going to have to experiment and 'find' uses for it. Actually you could take a pic of some celeb from a magazine, then insert yourself next to them! just thought of that. Righttime toget my thinking cap on...

Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:35 PM   #44

I would like to know if one of you will be helping ou to post a video please so we can upload to the center thanx Mod fishy
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:31 PM   #45

mitchyk,

Welcome to the forum! And glad to hear you like your Digilife. Just when we had a few other reports of the V1's mp3 being mono, and I had concluded that's the way they are, your report of having stereo opens the can of worms again. I'm very tempted to open mine up to see if it's just a simple jack or wiring problem, but I may still wish to return it and so don't want to risk scratching it. Time to email the vendor again. In the meantime, I'm using my 720 most of the time. I would pay more to upgrade to an M1, if I could find out what peculiarities it has.

I think the buttons on the screen are the same on all the V1's. One picture on the Ispan site has the screen exposed in the closed position, but with a portrait shot. So the buttons appear to be on the right of the screen, but actually are along the true bottom.

I find the mp3 very sensitive to damaged mp3 files. Any problem with the files, it will just terminate the song, or even shut off.

Do you know where I can read an explanation of how to interpret the histogram as implemented on the V1? For instance, I've seen explanations for colorless histograms, and I've seen the colored ones for ACDsee software, but not for the Digilife version. It has a graph with, from left to right, 4 green bars, 8 yellow bars, and 4 red bars.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:49 AM   #46

Hi everybody

I was wondering if anybody would be able to upload a sample video of the video-in recording. I plan on either buying the V1 or the M1, and use a mini spy camera to put in a hat(kind of like how the Samsung SCX105L works).

I think that video in capabilty is amazing. I can even take shots from my MiniDV camera and use the V1 as a portable .asf converter so I can upload it to my PDA(with WIFI) that has an FTP client. All without sitting in front of a keyboard and monitor. I'm just really curious to see the quality of this feature. Thanks all.

James
J.Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:16 PM   #47

J.Reign wrote:
Quote:
Hi everybody

I was wondering if anybody would be able to upload a sample video of the video-in recording. I plan on either buying the V1 or the M1, and use a mini spy camera to put in a hat(kind of like how the Samsung SCX105L works).

I think that video in capabilty is amazing. I can even take shots from my MiniDV camera and use the V1 as a portable .asf converter so I can upload it to my PDA(with WIFI) that has an FTP client. All without sitting in front of a keyboard and monitor. I'm just really curious to see the quality of this feature. Thanks all.

James
Digilife DDV-V1
1.Digilife DDV-V1 1.2 mb avi

here is an example why I asked some people who int h topic to Please post some uploads, and thanks to sspirit owning one he supplied me with this one i cannot get it to work but maybe you can. good luck again Please post as we are very interested in a video sample thanks Moderator fishy
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:05 PM   #48

J.Reign wrote:
Quote:
Hi everybody

James
J.Reign,

Welcome to the forum!

I have slow connection, so I'm reluctant to upload videos. I have tested this feature of my V1, and whatever you think of the video quality of clips shot with the V1, the visual quality of clips recorded onto the V1 from an ordinary tv is far, far better. I haven't thought about it enough to have any theories why, but I'd say it is as good as a regular consumer camcorder would do. I presume this feature bypasses the sensor, and therefore the compression losses and panning blur. But I'm not sure. I'm also not sure about how fast it eats up memory, or frame rate, or resolution, either. Of course, having been done by professionals, the colors, staging, sound tracks etc. on the video-in clips are also vastly better than what we amateurs achieve. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I thought, as you did, that this would be an easy way for people who have old camcorder tapes etc. to digitize them. People who do training could use this feature. Presumably the signal from an LCD projector could be fed into the V1/M1 also. So you could digitize stuff from a pc presentation, then replay it on a tv or to vcr tape in circumstances lacking an LCD projector.

Seems to me the Digilife camcorders are far ahead of the market with the video-in feature. Months ago when Ispan put these Digilife DDV-810-960 cameras on their website, they showed a tv tuner as an option, which would plug into the av-in port. I wonder what happened to that?

It might be nice if Ispan more carefully distinguished between concepts and marketplace realities. We've seen how their posted release dates for new cameras keep slipping. All the 8xx and 9xx cameras were posted originally as coming out this summer.

Interesting to compare the new Digilife cameras to, for example, the Pentax Optio MX4. The Pentax, although having features sorely lacking on the Digilife's, lacks image stabilization, histogram, remote control, mp3 and av-in. And costs twice as much.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 6:06 AM   #49

Hi all,

Fishycomics, i hope to take some vids over the weekend, once i've put my bike back together. So will post some when i've got them. Also will be testing the tv in so will do a couple of those as well.

sgspirit, For a good explanation of using and reading histograms follow this link;

http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/histo...histograms.htm

There are also links at the bottom of the page to other articles. It's not specific to digilife camera's, but it does explain the different types of histogram, combined RGB, Luminance, etc. Basically the quick rule of thumb for the digilife is, all green bars will result in dark underexposed picture with no hilight detail, all yellow should be ok but will be lacking in tonal range possibly (depending on the scene), and all red bars will result in overexposure, hilight detail blown out. Histograms for good images are usually a hump shape in the middle, tailng off to nothing on both sides. But again it depends on the scene, sometimes a lot of dark or light can be just what you're trying to get. That's what makes histograms so useful.

I can't believe histogram display isn't listed as a main selling point for this hybrid. I got mine anyway, but there was a couple on my list, and the histogram would have definitely made me choose the V1 over the others. Strange that it's completely undocumented. Oh, and if you follow the link below, there's a picture of the V1 with buttons on the left side of the screen. Probably the pre-production version or something.

http://www.globalsources.com/si/6008...GetProduct.htm

Thankyou for the warm welcome.

Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:26 PM   #50

mitchyk,

Thanks for the info on the histogram, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I can see you're right about the V1 screen controls. The other controls on that V1 aer also a little different from the one I have. Probably not just coincidence that the new Aiptek MVPR has the screen controls on the left of the screen.