Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:55 PM   #81

Hi,

That's why i made the white noise file, sometimes it's hard to tell from a music track, and certain sounds can fool your ears. Bass is non-directional for example, and so could confuse your lobes!

mitchyk

mitchyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 2:19 PM   #82

want a good song to listen to lez zep, you'll hear the stereo, I 4-get the song titles, but as mitch states white noise is the best solutionanotehr example would be hook the cameras up to a speaker (external. and as well as the white noise you'll hear the sound as well.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:01 AM   #83

I bought a mini spycam and mounted it to my bike helmet for some action shots with the V! in my back pocket. Works fine. The unit is tiny and the lens is not much more then a pinhole and I think this is why the videos are not as good as with the native lens. I may get a better spycam with a better lens. The spycam is a Swann DIY (do it yourself) and pretty common. I got it for about $40 and the nice feature is it runs off of a 9V battery.

PS I am really surpised that some units have stereo MP3. Mine definitely does not.

PPS. V1 is rated at 1.8mbps bitstream, but when I play clips back on Windows media player it states they are playing up to 2.7mbps. IS that just a function of WMP???

PPPS. I had an initial problem of some files failing. When I finish a videoclip I notice the red and green LED's keep flashing a few seconds after recording is finished. Now I do not turn off the camera until the post-recording flashing is complete. Since I have adopted this policy I have had zero files fail.

DJ
digijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:04 AM   #84

Hi,

Digijim, the 1.8mbps rate is only referring to the video, audio also needs room! if you check with video editing software you'll be able to see. I don't know why manufacturers do this, as it messes up your figures when you try to figure out how much you can fit on a certain size card. My V1 files come out at about 2.8mbps so it would seem about 1mbps is needed for audio, which is 50% more than you're led to believe by the technical specs!

mitchyk

Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:56 PM   #85

digijim wrote:
Quote:
I bought a mini spycam and mounted it to my bike helmet for some action shots with the V! in my back pocket. Works fine. The unit is tiny and the lens is not much more then a pinhole and I think this is why the videos are not as good as with the native lens. I may get a better spycam with a better lens. The spycam is a Swann DIY (do it yourself) and pretty common. I got it for about $40 and the nice feature is it runs off of a 9V battery.

PS I am really surpised that some units have stereo MP3. Mine definitely does not.

PPS. V1 is rated at 1.8mbps bitstream, but when I play clips back on Windows media player it states they are playing up to 2.7mbps. IS that just a function of WMP???

PPPS. I had an initial problem of some files failing. When I finish a videoclip I notice the red and green LED's keep flashing a few seconds after recording is finished. Now I do not turn off the camera until the post-recording flashing is complete. Since I have adopted this policy I have had zero files fail.

DJ
Thanks for the tip on the remote lens head. I think I'll get one since you've shown the way. My idea is to report, with video, motorists who hassle or endanger me when I'm riding my bicycle to work. Plus cycling, canoeing and skiing action. Does this setup give you an audio track?

When I had my Aiptek DV4500, I found out how important it was to let the camera finish processing before changing modes or shutting it off. It didn't like being rushed.

Edit: After posting this, I did some research and found the Swann DIY Security Camera at http://www.swann.com.au/show_item.php?item=155
It has audio, and comes with a normal and wide angle lenses. I'm interested in how it plugs into the V1. Does it have a compatible jack, or did you have to make a custom cable?

Right now there are some of these on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Swann-Security-C...QQcmdZViewItem

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:36 AM   #86

Re: The Swann DYI. There appear to be 2 versions. Mine did not have a mic and did not have 2 lenses. I think mine is the newer version and it is rated at a whopping 480 lines, but the optics are so limited it looks more like about 200 lines. I got mine off EBAY so look carefully, the version with the mic may be a better choice.

My Swann DYI version has a 3ft cable ending with a female RCA plug for video and a power jack that receives a short cable with a 9V battery adapter. The V1 comes with a cable - mini-plug one one side and maile RCA's on the other. Just plug the V1 video RCA into the RCA on the spycam cable. Ironically you will have more weight and volume in the cables then in the V1 itself, so I made a streamline version of the V1 cable.

I'll try to post a clip shot through the DYI on You Tube and post here when done

DJ

Old Oct 15, 2005, 6:11 PM   #87

sgspirit: I am thinking of something like this:

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.a...mp;ProdID=4127

The lens on this unit is larger then the virtual pinhole on the Swann. I think it is a generic size "microlens" and different focal lengths can be purchased at that site for about $15. This unit is a true CCD. There are 2 other units that look interesting. I think the lines of resolution number may not be very meaningfull and the fact it is a CCD has me leaning toward it.

My idea is to mount it on the front of the helmet and have connectors at the back of the helmet. Also maybe a mic which will be almost non functional at speed due to wind noise, but clever placement and a screen may help.

My rig right now is mounted on the included frame on top of the helmet and the cable hangs down into my pocket.

Do let me know if you get the DYI with the Mic. I would have to say that I don't really recommend the unit I got due to poor image quality which I suspect is a function of the pinhole lens.

DJ

Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:00 PM   #88

I decided to convert this discussion about external lenses into a topic by itself, but I'll leave a copy of the previous posts here also.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:52 AM   #89

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
replicate wrote:
Quote:
Sgspirit, thanks for your reply.

I think I'll play it safe and buy a 1Gb card. Realistically, the shooting time on the battery is 90 minutes and the 1GB cards allow you to record 80 minutes anyway. Anything more then 80 minutes the camera will have insufficient power to utilise it. Might as well off the data on the card and clear it between battery charges.

The mono issue does make sense in a way. The audio/video out and in cables provided with the camera only consist of one (white/left) audio composite plug. If it was stereo, they would of included the red composite plug (right) as well. It's not surprising the audio output for mp3 playback is mono as well.

Yeah I got my camera off of QueenofGlitter from Ebay. The day after I bought it, they started to list the ISpan DDV 910, which I would've opted for had I known it was gonna be listed the NEXT day. Oh well. I got my camera for $148 US.
Sounds like you need to consider buying a spare battery or two. I don't take my camera anywhere without one or two extra. They're dirt cheap on eBay.

Thanks for pointing out the matter of the other a/v cable. I'll take a look at mine. This doesn't explain how mitchyk has a V1 with stereo MP3.

Queenofglitter told me they were expecting the 910/M1 at the end of September. But since the manual made it appear to be an update of the 720, I was afraid of getting stung even worse by its feature set than the V1's. I paid $155 for my V1, so you did better than I did. I see an M1 went for $97, but most are going for about $155. The first few went for $180-200. Still cheap compared to the $210usd I paid for the S670, and the $300cdn for the 720.
What search words should I use to look for these batteries on Ebay? I'm not sure if these batteries are specific or generic to these cameras.
replicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:00 AM   #90

Hi Replicate,

Try NP60 or NP-60 battery, You can find them very cheaply on ebay, they are used in many digital cameras and mobile phones. Hope that helps

mitchyk