Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:33 PM   #21

Which of this do you recommend? This, (DXG-568 or the microtec mv500, Best still picture a priority, The other gizmos can fall in any order. Tiger Direct product. US $99.99

[align=left]5.1 Megapixel

Size
1/1.8-inch

Digital Zoom
4X

LCD Monitor
1.5-inch LTPS

Shutter Speed
1/10 - 1/500 sec.

Movie Mode
30 fps

Memory Included
32MB Internal

Storage Media
Multimedia Card
Secure Digital

A Closer Look[/align]

SUPPORTED MEDIA

Tech wanna-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:15 PM   #22

Tech wanna-be wrote:
Quote:
[...]DXG-568 or the microtec mv500[...]
Tech, they don't really compare, for one thing the DXG-568 uses MJPEG (Motion JPEG).The following chart is not exact, but it gives you an idea of the approximate storage differences:

Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 3:03 AM   #23

Tech wann-be .you question reguard a digital camera, and then the option of video? that may be not of a hybrid issue I recommend you read or question in the camera section, you are welcomed here if you are desiring a hybrid. Hybrids are mainely vid then pic and mp3 features.

I would not purchase one yet. and wait for staples office depot etc to have their christmas sales they come out with a decent camera around 5 meg 3x optical zoom and video with soud and a printer for 199 and that is a great price even less if you are looking for just a camera circuit city had one on sunday 4 meg an olympus wit ha free 128 xd card cannot read fine print of model f1000 (eyes tired) or even a hp 129 4 meg hope we helped out all hybrids go around 100 and up Please read the brief descriptions of hybrids ofr them and the pmp descriptions good luck
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 1:00 AM   #24

can u send me some video sample from this product?

hlp me pls
urgent .......:?:
no_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:12 PM   #25

Ok here it is.

On Oct 20th I bought a MV500 from tigerdirect.ca for CAD$175.99. I received the package on Oct 31st. The camera takes video on both asf (mpeg4) AND xvid. The AVI format mentioned in the manuals and specs is actually xvid. So that was nice. It does have an extremely basic mp3 player. The camera wont recognize file names and will label music files as track001, track002 and so on. So it becomes a guessing game when it comes to choosing the song you want to hear. The camera uses a 2.5 mm stereo connector for headphones, therefore you will not be able to use the more common 3.5mm heaphones you're used to. However the camera comes with 2.5mm earbuds, which sound ok, but not better than my regular headphones.

My camera from tigerdirect does not come with a rechargeable battery or a AC Adapter. It came with 4 AAA batteries which ran out of juice really fast. So a rechargeable lithium batt is a must. The capability to take on AAA's is just a nice spare tire in case of emergency, but it is not well suited for regular shooting. The manual says you can use a Nokia 8210 lithiumbattery.

Still pictures came out rather nice. I don't have complaints there, except for the fact that digital zoom sucks. I would rather interpolate resolution to the 12 mp max and do the zoom on the computer. That said, I do not believe that ailment is exclusive to this camera. In most cameras, digital zoom sucks. The sad thing here is that you don't have any optical zoom whatsoever, but hey, it was only CAD$179. What can you expect for that price.

The video quality is actually quite nice if you have adequate light. My camera however, was shooting video with the audioslightly offsynch. There was also a rythmic background popping noise on the audio track. While the camera is shooting I can't hear any noises. But when you playback the video either in the camera or on the computer, the freaking noise is there regardless of resolution, mpeg4 or xvid.

So I call Microtek USA support to ask about the offsynch and the noise. They tell me my particular camera is defective. Normal MV500's have synched audio video and do not have popping noises in the videos they record. They tell me they are going to swap my camera for a new one. So they start taking my info. All's going peachy until I tell them I live in Canada. An uncomfortable silence follows, then the guy says, "I'm sorry, sir, we do not service Canada, you will have to call Tigerdirect to address this issue."

Before calling Tigerdirect I go back to their site to check if they sell lithium batteries and AC Adaptersfor the MV500 so that I can order one along with my replacement MV500. Surprise, Suprise! Tigerdirect.ca dropped their prices on the MV500 from $179.99 to $119.99 and on top of that added a $20 rebate (in US$!). So now you could have gotten the MV500 for less than CAD$100!!!

I call tigerdirect. They tell me that the only way they could've reimburse me the price drop is if I hadn't yet received my camera. FINE! I wasn't calling about reimbursement of a price drop ANYWAYS! It doesn't matter that nowadays most reputable stores will reimburse you price drops that happened close to your date of purchase. FINE! I tell him MicroTek said I had a defective camera. So they tell me they'll send a RA# (return authorization) to my email. I have to wait for that number because they will not accept returns without the number.

They also tell me that I will have to pay for the shipping of the defective camera out of my pocket. So I think, no biggie there, as soon as I get my RA# and ship the thing off I'll buy a new one at the lower prices and with the nice rebate. The rebate itself should cover for postal charges. They took six days to send me the friggin RA number. And now the Tigerdirect site seems to be sold out of MV500s:angry:!

So I google out where could I get an MV500. I get some interesting hits on ebay. There's a guy that's been selling a steady stream of new MV500's WITH rechargeable lithium batteries and adapter. I check his history and his cameras have been auctioned off at prices ranging from US$128 to $173. I reason it seems like a fair deal compared to Tigerdirect if you consider how much is a Nokia 8210 lithium battery and a radio shack 5V 2A ac adapter.

And then I noticed that even though the guy invoices you from the US, he ships the cameras from the factory in Singapore. :xShipping is $35.99 plus a $9 shipping insurance charge. Then I have to consider that the Canadian government will charge their cut of taxes. And now I have to win the auction at a fairly low price in order still have a gooddeal.

I haven't sent the camera just yet. I am hoping tigerdirect will have them back at the nice prices soon. If not I'll just have to engage in the auctions. So we'll see what happens next.
gepineda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:26 PM   #26

Excellent review and stand point.

As I know on my camera and cameras. I do get a clicking noise due to silience and low aud in room, it is the camera working. does not bother me at all. sometimes cell phones. micro waves and air waves all play a toll..

as well as a sd card if the video res is set too low you'll not get a vid/aud synch . like a vcd or svcd copy that acts as a dvd disk.

If you spoken to the person for a return you should have had a back up address to ship to. yes would cost you some money to ship from usa to your house but at least you could have shipped out from canada.

just my thoughts

We should turn this into a review by itself, and have some sample vids for future buyers , thanx for the info................ .mod fishy
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:10 PM   #27

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
We should turn this into a review by itself, and have some sample vids for future buyers , thanx for the info................ .mod fishy
I can take some quick clips before I return it. As you can see, I'm new to this forum. I looked around the place for the Reviews forum but couldn't find it. Would the review be left here then? Do you guys host video files? If not, where would it be good place to find free hosting space?

From the clip you guys can tell me if you find the noise and the offsynch acceptable or not.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:47 PM   #28

I had posted up, and in the important notes in here

http://www.putfile.com

http://www.youtube.com

http://www.imageshack.us stills as well

those are all free need to follow the instructions to register very easy.

if not email cannot be any easier then that

step 1

make vid about 10 meg 30 secs save as a file in my doc name sample

step 2

picking a site u click upload . clcik browse . find my doc/sample clcik upload , okay

wait till it loads.and then copy link, and paiste

complete.

as Isaid . if you write a review on this you should start a new topic like i dod on the Aiptek mpvr. all will get a better idea of what the camera is about. if not I'll do my best to do one by copying the info in here. thanx

Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:08 PM   #29

Thanks. Fish, after seeing the Aiptek review you refer to, I feel a little intimidated. That is one thouroughly detailed and documented review! I haven't used the MicroTek enough to gather the data of half of what you've reviewed with the Aiptek.

I'll shoot some clips, get them hosted and modify the above post with them. Sorry I can't be as detailed, guys.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:36 PM   #30

Hi gepineda,

People nowadays are supposed to be into instant gratification. Well, shopping over the Internet is about as far from instant gratification as shopping can possibly get. More like interminable frustration at times. Thanks for posting your trip through the wringer - at least it serves as a warning to others. Thanks also for posting performance information about the camera. We need lots of that here.

You can get an adaptor for the earphone jack, but it sticks out a long way.

Does your RMA mean TigerDirect will fix/replace your camera, or refund it? Don't forget duty and brokerage fees on the import from Singapore. You could consider a different camera.

You might email your experience to Microtek and innocently ask them if this is how they think they will promote sales of an almost unknown name brand. Not that they'll do anything for you, but it might help ease the pain.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote