Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:23 PM   #1

MPEG-4 video up to 1280x720 @ 60fps spec for a new Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD1EX? Sounds highly unlikely but that's what was posted on imaging resource earlier on Friday September 30th. I postedmore infoin the Sanyo forum.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:45 PM   #2

Hmm, this is 6 times the data rate of 640x480/30fps. I suppose that's doable, but it means using up memory, computer drive space, and Internet bandwidth at 6 times the rate also. I suspect it will cost more than $100.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:35 AM   #3

great find. I have watched tv for the longest time, and a month ago I posted how showtime , etc advertises the fps the size and sound, maybe we all would be happy with 720x520 24fps with dolby 5.1 surround out of the camera dvd quality

As we know there3 are some cameras out the hybrids out there that films in 720x520. noneed for higher
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:10 PM   #4

Yeah I hear you, but it's like a 10Mp digital camera: it's nice to have 10Mp when you want super high resolution quality,even though youprobably willtake your "everyday" photos at 5Mp or even 3Mp.

It still sounds too good to be true to me but I just found a bigger picture on Sanyo's Spain own site, does this mean it's real?:

EDIT: No news but I stumbled uponanother picture of the Sanyo Xacti HD-1:

[align=center][/align]
So yeah indeed a flash on top. I wonder if this product is dead or what, but according to this Canadian press release (cached), which has also now been retracted, it looks like they were going to release it in November but aborted. Perhaps replaced by the C6, perhapsnot proven enoughto release.

http://66.94.231.168/search/cache?p=...1&.intl=ca
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:27 AM   #5

that sure looks like another camera, but till we can find it online,Please post the links as well.

Man is tha a real flash on top?
Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:28 PM   #6

Hey there,*It's my first post, but I just bought a Xacti C5 after reading Steve's review and now I see this!**I notice that the pic Caelum included of the new model is still linked directly from the Sanyo Spain site.**It's a wonder they haven't taken it down!I'm still pretty excited about my purchase (thought it came with an SD card, but it doesn't, so I haven't used it yet) but the specs on the VPC-HD1EX blow the C5 out of the water!**Thoughts though--since the C5 (and I think the C4) uses interpolation to make 10 MP pics from a 5 MP CCD, is it possible they'd try the same thing with video?**Like the real res is still 640 x 480 and they use hardware interpolation rather than a better CCD to blow it up and crop to get a 1280 x 720 image?*Hopefully they'll let us know soon--if the HD model is announced within the next couple weeks, I can still take my C5 back!
farfisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 1:01 PM   #7

Welcome aboard to the site

Please tell us the site yu found the camera on? and we are all excited to see some sample videos, all talk and no video:idea:

Not forcing you but this would be great for the upload center..................

Understanding no cameras comes with sd cards unless Owner is adding them as an bonus feature.

The pictures are interpolated or software enhanced, i m sure one setting is garanteed pure megapix's. and the highest setting software enhanced.

as for the vid the size of the resolution ( i am wrong) 640x480 is the highest res i think not i think there is more to the vid resolution.

I think hdv quality video is missunderstood. not filming hdtv quality but accepting signals for hdtv tvs. for example the dvd player is at 540x720 as the tv is at 520 resolution the dvd quality makes vcrs look like outdated sources. o they introduced high definition dvd players, and it is just that made for high def tvs. no difference

Please do not hold me to this, I am just trying to figure it out.

again welcome and PLEASE send in a sample when you have the chance
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:37 PM   #8

Thanks for the welcome,It's true, DVD's are only 720 x 480 (in North America, anyway) and the pixels are non-square (0.9 x 1) so it presents a 4:3 image.**High Definition (and there are so many things 'claiming' to be hi-def, you never know what to believe) has several formats: 1280 x 720 (refered to by 720i or 720p, meaning 720 lines of resolution, interlace or progressive) and 1920 x 1080 (often called 1080i or 1080p) seem to be the main ones.So, the VPC-HD1EX cam would actually qualify as an HD cam... but would it look any good?Can't wait to find out... heck, can't wait to pick up an SD card--most digital still cams come with at least a little one!
farfisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:55 PM   #9

yes they do and it is called internal memory to get you started , and may use some storage for files etc? thank you for the little lession always helpful.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:43 PM   #10

Hi farfisa, congratulations on the C5, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it; despite it's shortcomings, I personaly think it's the best MPEG-4 hybrid out there at this time. That's the one I would get if I had to get one today. I'm not holding my breath for that HD model. I too am surprised that Sanyo Spain hasn't taken down that image yet, I keep expecting that link to break. I can't say for sure but it looks like it could be a conceptualCG render and I can't confirm the specsbeyond that archived image resource page. If the HDwould beimplemented by interpolation that would be pretty lame, I hope that's not the case. Since the C5 can handle 640x480 MPEG-4 so well without any dropped frames and they have the CCD pixels available I wouldn't be surprised if they will be able to handle higher res. in a year or two, although I would prefer they spend the extra horsepower on better compression like H.264.Besides, thesimplest interpolation would be to double up, and yes640 = 1280 but 480 not = 720. The 10X optical zoom is to envy. But HD is in the near future: I have a friend with a 50?+ inch high-def. TV and he can't even watch regular TV stations anymore since going from HDTV stations to non-HD makes regular TV look pitiful. I personaly think his TV is too big, you can see the MPEG-2 noise when watching DVDs;for his TV,HD-DVD/Blu-Ray makes sense, for mine it doesn't.