Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 6, 2005, 2:42 PM   #1

Hello all. Thanks for reading my thread.
I'm looking for info on the I-joy. I have found only one instance of it on here. Ebay has this camera very cheap, and it seems to have some pretty good features. I used to have a JVC mini DV purchased a few years ago. It was very pricey and I didn't get near enough use out of it to justify buying a new one. But these hybrids are now drawing my attention. The qualities I'm looking for are Size of camera and quality of video. I like the ijoy because it has 2 LED lights on it you can use during video, but I was wondering how well they performed. I have been reading all about the digilife and the aiptek models. I was trying to decide which one to get when I ran across the ijoy. It's not too much smaller, just way thinner. Before I found the ijoy i was looking at getting the digilife 720 or the aiptek MPVR. Based on size and video quality what camera do you guys think I should take a look at? I'm pretty good at using all sorts of electronic gadgets, but when it comes to camcorders, all the settings and stuff confuse me. So most of the bells and whistles won't be of much use to me. I like the image stabilization feature (if they really work) because before all my video's were shaky. Also, one that can be charged from the camera without removing the battery is a plus. Any help or direction appreiciated greatly. But hurry, I got a hot date with paris hilton this weekend!

dj
"over thinking, over analyzing seperates the body from the mind"
lilscrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:25 PM   #2

Welcome aboard to the site lilscrapydoo.

It isa tough choice to decide on a camera, th aiptek is fairly new as well as the digilife. the choice mus be made and you are welcome to review the Aiptek Mpver topic , and take note in the vids, as other members share great topic information possably one o fthem will do the same but as for time thy may not have it is best to research.

Looking at the description I would not go backwards to a 2 meg but ahead with 3 meg optical ifneccessary and a video imput source. good luck on your choice. if you decide to go with the ijoy Please post a review. thanks for joining the site fishy

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:47 PM   #3

Thanks fish, for trying to help. I have already seen the pix of it, I wondered if anyone on here had used one or had any info on real performance. I don't think I'll go with this camera due to the fact that it runs at 15fps in 640x480 mode. It does run at 30fps in qvga. Since scouring this forum i've been looking at the Samsung Miniket. Samsung is a pretty big name and I trust them. I was pondering Digilife, but everyone here seems to have such different opinions about all the newest models. I also looked into the Aiptek MPVR. So here I sit... stuck between the top 5 digilife, the unknown miniket and the aiptek Mpvr. As far as size goes what's the difference between all the digilife models? And in comparison to the aiptek mpvr? I realize you own a few of these, which is your personal favorite? Like I said I had a small JVC mini dv, that got minimal use for the price paid. I want the best for the money, and size is right up there on my list.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 7:08 PM   #4

As it will take time to decide. miniket has a few glitchs,digilife some as well, aiptek as time grows will to, and the list goes on. What I like best well that will lead to a new thread thank you, let the members who owns the cameras come foward and answer . Please review the best resource that is my best advice

I own a dv4500 by mustek old style and powerful in battery life and more does the simple video in 640x480 and catchs anything in 20-30 feet anything in the distance is okay.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 9:41 PM   #5

Welcome lilscrappydoo,

This was so much easier when fishycomics and later, I, got into hybrids. There were only about 6-10 models then, and they were fairly similar. As you can see, there are about 100 now, with wide ranges of features, quality and cost.

As you noted, the iJoy takes video at 640x480 at up to 15 frames per second. Compared to many hybrids now on the market, this is too slow for satisfactory recording of moving subjects. On the other hand, and as you mentioned, the iJoy has the LED flash. We haven't yet heard from anyone who has used that feature. There were a few posts about the iJoy on www.digital-world.info, but that site is largely non-functional now.

The question may be how much you plan to video in the dark compared to how much you can tolerate the slow frame rate in daylight?

According to the (my) list, the Megexon M300 also has an led light that can be used in video mode.

As for a general recommendation, I'd look for a camera that does 640x480 at 30fps and has image stabilization. Whether it has an MP3 player may be a factor for you. If size is a big factor, the iJoy is the smallest hybrid, and it's sold under a lot of different names - suggesting it is a quality unit. If you want to spend the money, a hybrid with an optical zoom would be nice.

The Miniket is a superior hybrid. It is both very small and somewhat costly. I've handled one, and it was like a Swiss watch. Note that it's not the best choice if still digital pictures are high on your list of priorities.

Other than that, you can compare basic specs by using the Hybrid List, then see what's available for what price on eBay and the Internet. The Hybrid List http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92 includes how large each camera is. Note that the Aiptek MPVR is functionally the same as the Digilife DDV-V1/810. Also known as the Aiptek DV6800.

I've had four of these cameras (Aiptek DV4500, Digilife DDV-S670, 720 and V1), and although there's lots I don't like about the V1, it's the best of the ones I've owned. The least desirable of my four was the Aiptek DV4500, but it is still providing satisfactory service to its new owner.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:13 AM   #6

Well fellas, thanks for the info. I think I may hold out until I can get the miniket top end version used off ebay. I was going to get the aiptek, at 150. Then all of a sudden the website said it was "sold out" and removed the special price. I think I'll try and call them after I wake up in the morning and see what I can negotiate over the phone. I really need to dig up the box and find my MiniDV JVC and sell it on ebay too. Maybe it's still worth enough to offset the price plus a memory card or two!! You guys seem to know your stuff when it comes to these, I almost wish I could get on with a R & D for electronics companies to help then iron out all the silly stuff before they send to market. It really seems like the guys who design these things really don't use them that much, as with anything from mobile phones to video games. Anyway back on topic, when finally get a camera, I'll definately post my pros and cons about it. And I'm thinking about getting a few different brands of these for friends for Xmas. That way I can try them all (just to make sure they work of course!)

cheers,
dj