Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:29 AM   #11

test: http://media.putfile.com/Movie9483

The usb will bypass the charge i do not think it charges if it does then wecan have a battery on standby it should be simple have a drained battery and turn on camera letstandfor a few hours and the test is done

no it is nota charging unit it is a bypass unit hope I answered the question
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:58 AM   #12

I did a test too, and it looked like the USB bypasses the charge.. Thanks for confirming that..

Hey, check out this link..

http://www.camerabright.com/X1W.htm

I was thinking of building something like this, but I found one on the web for a reasonable price. I am thinking of ordering one.. the only thing that might not be too cool is the 5 min's auto off.. I'm going to ask about that.. I still might get one..

I think it would let me take video's in lower light levels..

I'm really loving my camera!

- Xigam

xigam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:05 PM   #13

Its been a few days since I got my MPVR. I really like it as a replacement for my Sony M1 (which was stolen). I had been looking for a cheaper small video camera and this seems to do the trick. Out of the box, my only gripe is that the screen seemed scratched and dulled a bit..... Is it possible they are using refurb screens from old cameras??? Anyhow, I have been playing around with the features that Fishy has already documented very well, and they all seem really cool. I really like the split-picture feature.
I agree with XiDigicam about night performance, but thats ok. For my Sony M1 I bought an external light which worked really well, found at CameraBright.com (it can be cheaper to buy other places, but thats the manufacturers site for researching the product).
It will make the camera a bit clunkier but it can be kept in a pocket and whipped out for ultra-low light situations.

As far as a real "test" I am going up to homecoming weekend at my old school, and can get a full test of video and pictures to compare to the standards I made when using the M1. I'll update with more thoughts as they come.
Greygooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:06 PM   #14

LOL Xi Gam you posted about my old cameralight while I was writing! what are the odds.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:32 PM   #15

xig.... ohms meter test http://media.putfile.com/Movie_00015058

ac charger throws out 4.2 volts

usb plug / camera off 3.7 vdc dropping to 1.5vdc

usb plug/ camera on 3.7 dropping down like above. no interior charge best bet is Ebay np-60 or higher and a charger I ordered 2 batteries and will stick with the charger unless the np-120 fits .

as for the find that is ecellent. I have a 7 l.e.de. light but at work it is in a circular form, 4 aaa batteries, this must be worth looking in to, straightaccross may throw a different beam. if you decide to get this let us all know? I have seen that before and on DWi I have posted something like that. again hope you are having fun with the gadget.

Greeygoose ; remove the protective cover Lol if not target. Sorry t ohear , but I am very happy of your camera to your hands
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:36 PM   #16

LOL That is cool.

Canyou get it to stay lit for over 5 minutes? Does that auto off ever effect you in video?

I went ahead an ordered one.. even if it's 5 minutes, it's better than nothing, or maybe I could hack out the timer part if the unit is easy to open.

I got the warm light one.. I hope it's bright enough.. it was the dimmest one, but the skin colors on the lady in the pic looked closer to real with the warm light than the other two.

When I get it, I'll post some comparison video's.

- Xigam

Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:12 PM   #17

Thats a good question, I never even knew the light had a timer. ( I usually use my cameras for relatively short video clips of my friends doing stupid things when we've been drinking) I actually didn't like whole assembley of the spin wheel, so I removed it all together and put in my own bolt. When I find the light, I will post a pic of it to show you what I mean. For now, I'm off to test my camera for the weekend.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:48 PM   #18

"greygoo.... better play it will be fun, then let us know you'll find some good n plenty on this camera lol
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:03 PM   #19

Cool. Please post that pic. Before I found this, I had the idea of taking 4-5 LED's and using a AAA or 2 AAA's, or a 9 voltand lighting them up. I know enough to be able to put something like that together, LED, resister, switch, battery.. I was thinking of making one that would velcro to the top of the unit and was flashlight shaped, then I thought about mounting to the bottom on the 1/4 " tripod mount. (on top might interfere with the mic).

I still might try to build one, unless "CameraBright" works out great. I left them a message on their website asking about how to stop the automatic timer.

If the inside of the unit is easy to get to. It might be easy to hack out the timing circuit.

I'm going fishing this weekend.. I'm going to bring my camera, it will be it's first major outting.. ;-P

- Xigam
Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:27 PM   #20

As always looking at the camera last night, I was filming to see how long I can get to record with the battery.

We are able to "lower" the screens brightness by 3 points as well as three points to raise but not turn it off. if we close the screen it will shut down th camera. this is not mentioned anywhere in the book. so be cautioned when you record not to close the screen. it will stop the record andshut off the camera

I believe and now again playing a mp3 song you are able to close the screen and have the screen shut off while it is playing which works out fine.

Now when you turn on the camera and need to go on standby you can not shut off the monitor and turn back on that means you must keep the sceen open if you shut it it should hybernate not at all, that is why there is the auto on we must go through the boot up process. just a thoughtthat I forgot to add. my dv5300 has those great features hybirnation etc but no mp3 player

an addition added to the review is an avatar of the self timer, a vid, a vid with the flash.