Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:44 AM   #211

:|nice. i do like what you did. best bet is to invest in a cover from aiptek and drillout the cover. i have makde the same with the IS-DV and pumped 6 volts into the camera and worked.

made with a block of wood, nails and a car adaptor multi voltage but the camera became defective on the lens inner cover. was a great lil toy for a car vid I placed up it fitted perfectly in my head rest lol

excellent Mod
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:24 AM   #212

I've been lurking on the site for a while trying to decide if I should get the MPVR (I orderedone last week).

But I saw your topic of making an external battery and it got me thinking of making something similar.

Here's my take on the idea: Why not use the USB port to power the camera?

I've seen USB battery packsfor i-pods, lights, and such. But if you want to make one here is the address http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000520028239

I was also wondering (since I don't have it yet). What type of usb connector is used on the camera (Standard, USBB, mini, the downloadable manual didn't say)?Also if anyone has the AC adaptor, Does it look like that adaptor has a usb on one side and a power barrel on the other? (That's what it looks like. And if anyone can put a Voltmeter on the wallwart and tell me if the voltageout isabove 5V. That tells me that adaptor has a built in regulator.)

If it does I might order one. It would make it a lot easier to make a battery pack (Just need a Battery holder and Barrelplug)and pick up the parts at RatShack (They don't carry much electronic parts anymore) The pictures on the aiptek site don't show much.
Tek465m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 2:10 PM   #213

the hub port is not an easy find. it is not a mini usb port. it is even smaller then the usual. I went to a Best buy and well they had a multiple set, and not one looked like a fit.

1 mustek has a mini port, but aiptek is even smaller and or slimmer.

2 yes you can go through the port with the same usb cable I have an extra, my delema is picking the wrong colors and hmm I do not know if it would shut off , the other features, for example the ac adaptor will allow the av input to record, but I think 3face owns it, and if he can test out if it can record video live not av in. and also snap a pic.

3 I preferre to do a job like the altoids box. grab 3aa and parallel them a few times to get a good 8 hours of record time. , and purchase an addtional cover. if I can purchase an additional cover i would dremil out the batt area and duplicate and piggyback the orginal batteries , only gives you double power life. 3 hours.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:03 PM   #214

I thougt of using the USB port but whenever I connect the plug to the camera even without connecting the USB to the computer, the camera will function only as a USB reader or a webcam, depending on the setting. I do not know if there is a switch or a pin in the port that when the plug is connected it switches the mode.

If it is really possible to use the USB port to power the unit then getting the regulated 5.0 v is easy and cheap. You can use LM340T-5.0 or 7805 3-terminal regulator. The input can be from 7.5 to 24 volts. I will not try the circuit on the webpage that you cited for the following reasons:

1. Using resistor and zener diode combination as a regulator can only yield few milliAmps probably less than 100 mA, the camera needs more than that.

2. 9 Volts battery are rated at about 150 to 250 mA, the standard battery of DV6800 is 850 mA.

By the way, the USB cable of the 1.3 Mpixel minicam from AIPTEK(The camera in the middle from my previous post, $20) is compatible with the DV6800 but for PC connection only and not for Video-Audio out.

ciao
juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:49 PM   #215

aiptek made a number of cameras. they used the usb ports and gave some power from the pc and some bypassed. luckely the dv6800 is powered by the pc.

1. plugging in an adaptor to the usb will allow you to get the pc cam on, and plugging in an av input pin with the ac adaptor , will only get the vid source of av in. i did that test a log time ago and forgot.

again the best bet is to use a dummy battery. if it is a block of wood or an outdated batt shell..
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:58 PM   #216

So if I understand correctly.The best way to getall functions from the MPVR, using an external power source,Would beto go through the Batt terminals, correct? (MUST RESIST URGE to hack camera when itarrives!!!!!)

1) So the AC adaptor from Aiptek only lets you record from an A/V source. From Aiptek.com, "Save your battery for when you're away from your house. Add the AC adapter with Power-In Connector to your MPVR and enjoy constant voltage for powering your camera during the recording of your favorite DVD's or TV Shows." If that's true. The AC adaptor seems pretty useless to me.

2) The USB only powers up the camera enough to transfer files and possibly to use it as a webcam, correct.

Seems silly to me that they didn't include a charging/power port on the camera,after all it uses a rechargeable battery (what about people that want to watch videos or MP3's at work/driving). Almost seems to defeat the purpose ofusing abattery pack. Perhaps the MPVR was originally designed for disposable batteries. Maybea charge portwill make an apperancein future products.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:20 PM   #217

juandelacruz , That 1.3 MP camera.

Does it have a camera mount on the bottom? Are the picturesfairlygood? What about Low-light/indoor photos? No flash?

I've been looking for a couple of cheap digital cameras I could sync together to make anaglyphs (3-D pictures, free software athttp://www.stereoeye.jp/). They look thin enough that I could get good 3-D seperation without itlooking likea huge monstrosity.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:01 AM   #218

Tek465m wrote:
Quote:
juandelacruz , That 1.3 MP camera.

Does it have a camera mount on the bottom? No mount but you can always glue a hex nut.
Quote:
Are the picturesfairlygood? - fairly good for a 1.3 MPixel
Quote:
What about Low-light/indoor photos? Forget about low light
Quote:
No flash? -Its so small there is no place to put the flash
Quote:
I found a site where they convert this small camera ( install PIC microcontroller inside) and mount on RC airplanes . The shutter will be activated by remote controll. The pictures are quite good.
Quote:
juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:26 PM   #219

Does overcharging the battery decrease the length of the battery life substantially?
spydamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:16 AM   #220

you cannot overcharge or should I say. try with the aiptek timed charger. the word I am looking for is floating the battery.

if you float the battery or trickle it is best it will keep the 80-90% used (charged) to the fullest. youcannot trickle charge the battery fro a used (unless you are getting a dead battery up forcharging.

again a test is needed for the Aiptec charger and may be found way past page 1. battery testing.

after the charger charges does it throw juice? I think not. I left the newest battery on for 7 days lol