Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:16 AM   #221

spydamonkey wrote:
Quote:
Does overcharging the battery decrease the length of the battery life substantially?
When you say " overcharging " , we assume that you are using a non-automatic charger. Good Automatic chargers will not overcharge the battery even if you keep it plugged.

If you have a charger that keeps overcharging the battery, then the life of the battery will shorten primarily because of the heat and other chemical reaction that develops when you overcharge. It is true in all types of battery.
juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:19 AM   #222

Also, overcharging a Li-ion battery has the very bad habit of exploding into a fireball. Many RC pilots have found that out by charging a Lithium batteries in a Nicad/NiMh chargers.

If you've ever seen the science experiment with Sodium (Na) in water. Lithium is even more reactive.

Only charge a Lithium battery in a designated charger!!!

Also, I got my MPVR yesterday.

Here's what I've discovered so far.

1) I really don't like the delay from pressing the shutter till when it takes a photo (more then 2 sec.). Is this because I have F/W 1401. Does the new F/W improve that?

2) You can fully (all funtions) power the camera using a USB battery pack. A computer's USB port won't work unless it's in DOS mode. (Any data puts it in PC Mode). LM7805 will work (no risks), but I was able to power it with just 4 AA cells in series.

3) If you have an IR Led cluster, It works great for night shots. My MPVR seems very sensitive to IR light. (Shine a TV remote in the dark)

I found it funny that it was shipped directly from Aiptek, but from what I've read on the boards, it's an older style camera (No headphone imprint, older firmware 1401).

Is there much difference between models (besides cosmetics)? Shoud I try toload the newer firmware? Is the 2 second shutter delay standard?

Thanks.
Tek465m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:36 PM   #223

Tek465. welcome in on the new Aiptek mpvr,

1 you purchased your camera , and i would recomend a phone call direct to Aiptek and ask them why you recieved a Model outdated? 1401 is older then 1501, and much older then 1701 Read up on the firmware I posted. 3 improvements.

red eye: Have I seen any difference in flash , not at all. the flash is the most powerful one on the market I say that b/c in my thread and hopefully soon in my new webpage, 15 feet away and all lit up, check the main page here if not its posted in the forum.

shutter speed : the shutter is all electronic, that must be learned and taken some time to get it down pact, paitience. It is normal for a hybrid to make a electronic beep on/off, and delay for a good second or two, have i noticed an improvement, never found out, b/c i always count 3 secs after I click shutter or record. forced habit. for a better shot . I rush my shots most of the time b/c the need for information here.

webcam enhancement: I have not seen an improvement yet. but in yahoo, or other software cam features you have many more adjustments. possable fps fix and buffer speed.

Now for the battery. there is electrolited ( dust or glitter dome). if they settle in a battery they cause great wear and desaster, in 50%wear batteries.

now lithiums or li-on yes use Aipteks charger, but we are only talking about 250-450ma not much ( may be mistaken for something else) rc batts you are referring to up to 30 amps of power , but I believe you mentioned airplane remote , a lot lighter. that will yes indeed burn up fast.

Keep the battery trickeled , will not hurt if its Aipteks charger, again a test is needed after the charger hits it timer o shut off.

using a charger that puts out the amount needed and needs to be watched is a big no no. so use what is appropriate. hope you do find out why you got last years model and its 2006?

Let us know when you get a response back by phone , an emaile will be forever.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:47 AM   #224

Quote:

2) You can fully (all funtions) power the camera using a USB battery pack. A computer's USB port won't work unless it's in DOS mode. (Any data puts it in PC Mode). LM7805 will work (no risks), but I was able to power it with just 4 AA cells in series.

Hi Tek,

You mentioned USB power with all functions.

When I plug the supplied usb cable to the camera even without connecting to the computer yet, the screen on my camera will switch off. I thougt that there musbbe a switchor a sorted llink in the theUSB that will signal the camera to change mode.

What USB cable did you use ?

Thanks.

Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:05 PM   #225

"When I plug the supplied usb cable to the camera even without connecting to the computer yet, the screen on my camera will switch off. I thougt that there musbbe a switchor a sorted llink in the theUSB that will signal the camera to change mode.

What USB cable did you use ?"

It was the cable that came with it.

I just tried what you did and observed the same effect.

But, (And I verified it again to be sure) the trick is to *already* have power to the cable. Then you plug it in and open the screen (My battery was in the charger at the time). All the functionsshould be available. (I'm running F/W 1401)

To test it, I used an older computer that had USB portsbut runningMS-DOS (or use the "F8" method to get into command prompt). The USB port had 5V power but no data on it. The Battery from the camera was removed to verify it was running only on USB.

I was going to try building a USB battery pack soon to try itthat way.Maybe I'm missing something.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:18 AM   #226

Understanding your observation.

the aiptek Mpvr will power up without a battery in the camera with a usb port, with the supplied cable, and can be switched to camera mode by using the menue/camera/mass storage , and printer mode

we need to find the correct co.or pin cordination. should be black and red in the power world but schematics tel the truth.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:28 AM   #227

Maybe you are right, as soon as I switch on the camera, the LCD will act as viewfinder for about quarter of a second and will switch to menu mode. Probably because of the signal from the PC. I have Win2000 and XP, these do not have a real DOS (emulation only). the USB data is always live. I have to borrow my daughter's PC which is running in Windows 98 SE to check the the port.

If it is verified, I will also make a battery pack using LM340T-5.0 or 7805. Itwould be better to use the new switch mode regulators (from Maxxim) because they virtually will not heat up. I used LM340 once on my old cellphone for car and the IC becomes so hot because of the large deltavoltage.

Good luck and watch the polarity !

Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:48 AM   #228

Tek,

<quote> If you have an IR Led cluster, It works great for night shots. My MPVR seems very sensitive to IR light. (Shine a TV remote in the dark) </quote>

I just tested mine like this, and it really does seem to be IR sensitive!

I've opened a new thread to discuss modding a NexXtech Bicycle Light to cheaply provide white or IR light in a 1/4x20 mountable package.

Cool stuff!

MPVRr
MPVRr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:15 PM   #229

For USB Pin1 is VCC (+5V) and Pin4 is GND.

http://pinouts.ru/data/USB_pinout.shtml

But I'd like to find a product like this:

http://www.dealsonic.com/usbbapabapof.html

It would look better then if I tried to make one. :-)Seems like they are hard to track down. I think I just need to get off my lazy duff and build it:G.

Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:16 PM   #230

Tek,

Here's one on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Portable-AA-...QQcmdZViewItem

What could this be used for again?

MPVRr
MPVRr is offline   Reply With Quote