Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:30 PM   #231

A back-uppower source for the camera. Just pop in some AA's and plug it in. (Too bad that item is only available to the UK)

I'm just trying to find different waysI might try to use the camera. By finding out that you can power the camera with USB, you can now let's say, make a 12 Volt to USB adaptor to run the MP3 player in your car. And save the battery for later.
Tek465m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:59 PM   #232

3aa system is fine , be careful not to go further you may look for my thread on the Is-dv battery test. you'll pixalate your screen with 6volts.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:09 PM   #233

Ah. I think this thing steps down to 5 volts, which I guess the MPVR can handle since it works fine hooked to my computer at 5 volts.

MPVRr
MPVRr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:29 PM   #234

yes Mpvr you are right the usb is a 5volt input, but not direct to the battery source of the pins.

I just did a observation and narly jumped out of my seat. thump thump thump lol

my heart oh my aching heart.

I tried afew scenerios

1 usb alone with batt works but no use of camera features

2 usb from pc webcan feature and mass storage feature only

3. usb and av input from pc nothing also hitting the camera feature nothing.

I jumped out of my seat b/c I was recording the thing below and these faces came up on the camera ha ha ha I turned my pc to a output source and forgot.

so as we are asking there is a jack for a dc source to the usb. and when 3face acknoledges the post he states he got the adaptor?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:01 PM   #235

It's confirmed ! The DV6800 can be powered from USB with full functions.
I tried it on my daughter's PC running on Win98. I started in MS-DOS which means the USB driver is disabled (no signal but the +5volts is connected). I even tried to remove the battery. I'll try to make an external battery pack using LM7805 regulator and a 6volts supply.

If I I will use NiMh maybe I wont be needing the reulator, 1.2x4 = 4.8 volts .

Thanks Tek for sharing your discovery.

Attached Images

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:21 PM   #236

thumbs up on a new descovery..

where will you be getting the adaptor plug from?

I have an extra cable, and may just email my wasted time into Aiptek for an addtional one
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:25 PM   #237

Yeah Tek, thanks for the good news about this! I was about ready to drop $9.99 +s/h on the Aiptek adapter, which still would not have allowed for the portability factor.

I asked the Ebay seller about US shipping, and I got this back:

<snip>
Hi, thankyou for your enquiry,

Shipping to the US should take 3-5 working days and for this item will cost £2.99 GBP, via standard first-class air mail. Please let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Best Regards,
Matthew Parfitt, M.A.W. Technology Ltd.
</snip>

So it looks like this USB Battery Pack can be had for ~$14.00USD shipped (using Buy-It-Now).

Heres a slightly more compact unit too, from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

MPVRr

MPVRr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:45 PM   #238

I understandwhat you are looking for, and i have looked into radio shack and best buy. The sel lthese battery boost packs but not like th one youu are pointing to.

what you must find out is the sub mini usb will fir. b/c my mustek is totaly bigger then aipek, and the aiptek is micro small. make any sense?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:00 PM   #239

MPVR,

I still think the AiptekAC adaptor would work. I don't think there is anything magical inside the adaptor to prevent it from working. The Wallwart says it's 5 volts and I'm going to check later to see if it's regulated. It it is, the wiring in that little adaptor could just be straight wires. If it has an internal 5V regulator, even better.

If thats the case, Ithink you could make a battery box or use any 5 volt source with the proper barrel connector. It would be less clunky than carrying around the multi cable the camera came with. I'm going to play around with the idea some more. (I saw a 12V cigarette lighter to USB on one site)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7003/

I was just trying to find the cheapest, non-invasive, most interestingway for me to power the camera.Itry touse parts that are readily available or easy to obtain. The USB port seemed easier to get to then going through the battery cover.

Tek465m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:52 AM   #240

Hi to all,

I found out that the cables supplied for my Dimage Z3 is 100% compatible with the DV6800, however, Minolta has two separate cables for AV and for Data.

DV6800 can be powered by 4 x 1.2 V = 4.8 very close to 5 volts. Voltage below 4 will register low batt in the system for for powering from USB, 5 volts reulated is mandatory. IC's are rated at 10% overvoltage so about 5.5 volts. Never use 6.0 volts 4X1.5 , the camera may not be dagaed immediately but continuous operation will ruin something.

Be careful on using AC adaptors- make sure it is regulated, if not you can always use the 7805 or LM340T-5.0. These regulator chips are very cheap.
Attached Images

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote