Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:50 PM   #1

After owning two or three of these cameras, it becomes clear they have very different combinations of features. Since you can't look at these cameras in stores, and the vendors are so stingy with information about them, any time you buy one you risk losing features that are important to you, or getting some aspects that are very annoying.

It's becoming more clear there are three main players behind these cameras. There's the companies like OmniVision and Zoran who make the chipsets and sensors, the companies who create the software the cameras run on, and the companies like Life Technologies and Aiptek who package the chips and firmware as cameras.

Presumably the firmware programmers are people who do all sorts of software, and don't have any special interest in how these cameras work. Same as the chipmakers. The products of both have limitations due to time and cost restraints, and because the software and chips are used in applications other than hybrids. If 90% of your "camera on a chip" production goes to surveillance camera makers, who cares about whether the MP3 is in stereo?

The companies that package the cameras probably have marketing and sales foremost on their agendas, as opposed to creating the perfect hybrid. Probably they have only so much influence over, or interest in influencing, the software and chip suppliers. It may be that very few people involved in the creation of hybrids acutally use them.

So... I think it may be up to the user community to demand optimized feature sets. This isn't impossible, since all the firmware and features are already present on various cameras. It's just that they're not all on any one camera, and it wouldn't take much effort to have them on every camera.

The products could then be differentiated on the basis of additional features, styling, and basic aspects such as sensor specifications.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 1:08 PM   #2

Yeah, you're right,it feels like the technology is there to create a good all around hybrid but it hasn'tcome together yet. That's why I'm betting on next year to get a hybrid.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:04 PM   #3

Having just bought, after much research, anAiptek MPVR, and only played with it some.. I totally agree.. I'd love to see..

o 3.1- 4.0 or betterCCD (Good CMOS?)
o 2 - 4 GB SD Memory Slot
o auto focus
o 2.5" LCD
o LED Light for video (clip on?/builtin preferred)
o Flash for photo
o Stereo MP3 _PLAYER_, with features like EQ and playlist, pause, remember place, restart.wave-animation.. imagine, playing MP3's plugged into TV w/Stereo, and on screen is some cool visual display. Plus it's on your LCD screen.
o Lens protection
o Optical Zoom (2x minimum)
o Video In/Out
o Charge/Operate via USB power/Or AC Adapter
o USB/AC Charger base station
o Better nightvision/low light operation
o Use some standard Nokia phone battery or something easy to find/replace for power
o Support for folders for pictures.. (ie, Inbox, User Created Albums/folders for organization of stuff you want to keep)
o Bluetooth for sending files to other bluetooth devices.. or using bluetooth video/mic to PC for web cam operation instead of usb
o x-ray vision (haha, ok.. well, you did say ideal)
o image stabalization
o changeable lens?
o better function in low light!
o ?TV Tuner?/?FM Radio?

- Xigam

xigam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:47 PM   #4

xigam,

That's a good list! I'm not sure if you included them just to be thorough, but I believe the Aiptek MVPR has:
o 2.4" LCD
o Flash for photo
o Video In/Out
o Use some standard Nokia phone battery or something easy to find/replace for power
o image stabalization

The NP-60 battery is easy to get. There is a topic on that in this forum.

I also would like to see an FM radio. Benq made a camera with it, and it's listed in the Hybrid List. When the Digilife DDV-9x0 series of cameras were first presented, Ispan had a picture of a TV tuner you were supposed to be able to get as an option. But when the first of them came available, all references to the TV tuner disappeared.

You can output stereo MP3 to a home stereo system. I wonder if you could rig up a cable to connect the earphone jack to the tv and get stereo mp3 on the tv?

Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:52 PM   #5

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
The NP-60 battery is easy to get. There is a topic on that in this forum.

If you want a little longer battery life, you might try replacing the NP-60 with a NP-120 at 1800 mAh.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:38 AM   #6

Oldhace, sgspirit the np-60 11mah I ordered lmao after I paid the person is on vacation till monday no big deal, the np-60 is the same size, I thank you both for adding the info up again 14.00usc is not a bad price . My questions are of no big concern:

1 the Aiptek charger says do not stick anything else besides theirs in there lol I hope I will get a charge when i do and 1100mah rather then 850 my battery life may be a little longer I believe I can add higher ratings not afraid just protective will I get a full charge we'll see?

2. the pins the center is double the width, was yours the orginal battery the same? with the camera you have? as noted below thank you for our answers in advance

3. most imortant question what is the measurement of the battery from the bottom to top so when I place it it will the battery cover close lol that would be for the np-120 the np-60 are the same, but the 120 looks deeper???????

if all does not work out battery for sale lol or gift lol

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:02 PM   #7

Hm, that's interesting. The center contacts on my four NP-60 batteries are different from that one. Each of mine has three contacts only, matched by 3 pins on the camera. It looks like Aiptek has pulled a fast one, with their own version of the battery - requiring that you use only their battery until someone experiments and proves otherwise. I note the battery case has graphics for only 3 contacts, so maybe they're just faking the fourth one.

Thanks OldHACer for the info on the NP-120. That would be nice to have, especially the 1800mAh versions of this battery. Unfortunately it's 11mm thick, as opposed to the 7mm of the NP-60. I suppose you could leave the battery cover off, or rig it up externally with a dummy battery in the camera. Or it would be fairly easy to put contacts between the battery and the pins in the camera, and run it in parallel. This would be a solution for those needing hours of power for watching movies.

There is also an NP-90, but it's completely different.

There are 1200mAh versions of the NP-60. In fact, here's an eBay seller with two of them for $5. Wish I had a couple of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-Fuji-NP-60-N...QQcmdZViewItem

Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:18 AM   #8

Thanx Sg.

"I looked high and low for the batterries on Ebay and got stuck with 1100mah 1100

I ran a few tests on the battery with an Oms meter and do not like the out take but the outer pins are what that counts they are the leads, maybe a peice of tape will help to answer my next test. and sure enough if you believe it look at the avatar

Now that issomething i think it may have to do with the flas but that is a guess will test after i go to the Javetz center sorry sgspirit I'll film with the mustek , and aiptek I need long battery life so my Mustek is on the go.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:01 PM   #9

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
Thanks OldHACer for the info on the NP-120. That would be nice to have, especially the 1800mAh versions of this battery. Unfortunately it's 11mm thick, as opposed to the 7mm of the NP-60.

You're right and leaving the battery cover off is not a good thing to do.

The battery cover on my Mustek DV-9300 has enough clearence for the NP-120.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote