Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1

Seeing the Pentax Optio S6 (6Mp, 3X optiocal zoom, 2.5" LCD,MPEG-4 (apparently DivX) VGA 30fps video with anti-shake) it makes me realize that probably in a year from now there mightnot be a digicam that isn't a photo/video hybrid.

Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:48 PM   #2

But can it play MP3s?:G

Most of the current crop of big name point and shoot cameras have a movie feature. My Nikon 5200 uses Quicktime .MOV format at up to 30 fps, but uses up the SD card fast. You're right in that more big names will probably go to MPEG4 (DIVX) ora new version of Quicktime.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 1:23 PM   #3

canon s30 or higher 60fps
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 1:36 PM   #4

Yes mostdigicams have a video mode today butit still seems like it's an afterthought feature. They're typically limited to choppy, shakyand/or limited size videos that also take up a lot ofstorage as you point out. In my mind a hybrid should rival a digital camera and a camcorder in quality (and duration).

Theoretically a hybrid capable oftaking and playinghigh quality videos with stereo sound should be able to be an all-out media player as well, right?I guess the problem with the available hybrids that do it all is that they do suffer from the "jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome. It's got to be just a question of time for them to perfect the chips and the software.

Edit: Devices like the PMP i.Perris CAMP34 (6Mp, MPEG4 DivX video, 2.5" LCD,full PMP) is agood example of "jack of all trades, master of none". The specs sound good but the execution, according to some buyers,isn't so hot (but it's just $199).
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:35 PM   #5

Thanks Fishy, I'll check it out. I found a thread elsewhere in these forums by Beverly W attempting to list the digicams that do video by type of video, it's a useful list. Moredigicams thanI expected do video.