Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 4, 2005, 7:26 AM   #1

I just ordered an Aiptek MPVR from [email protected] network, and am curious how much recording time I'll get (when recording tv shows) on a 1gb card. Also, can the camera record and/or playback video with stereo sound?

Thanks!
Mike
RadioGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:37 AM   #2

Fishycomics will probably give you an answer...

But it looks like in high quality the MPVR encodes into .ASF files with the the M4S2 video codec (Microsoft ISO MPEG-4 video V1.1) at a max. bit rate of 2.7Mbps and with the MS ADPCM audio codec (Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation) at a max. bit rate of 44Kbps. However it appears that based on what it's recording itmightnot utilize the max bit rate and appears to sometimes consume as little as 1Mbps. So at the highest quality, if the max bit rate was consumed you would be able to fit only 50 minutes, if only 1Mbps was consumedyou'd be able to fit up to 2 hours.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3

Yikes! It doesn't look like I'll be using highest quality mode for simple tv time-shifting, if those are really accurate.

Anyone else here use their MPVR for time-delayed tv viewing? If so, what settings do you use, and how much time do you get on a 1GB (or 512MB) SD card (I have one of each).

Thanks!
Mike
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:45 AM   #4

Cal.... thank you you were very technical on the Answer and best explained all the credit to you my fellow member

radioGiant welcome aboard! Cal... explained it to the T, I may not be that savy on the technical talk , but hands on and more personal.....

1. a sd card of 1 gig will record 1 hour max. at high resolution, without the battery dieing? you'll be able to see the vid/aud in synch, and that is important, if you care about quality.

2. a sd card of 1 gig at qvga at low resolution, will record double 2 hours and the vis and aud may be out of synch, but yes watchable on the player, and the battery life may nor make it to the end, if it doesn't the file can be currupted, makes sense?

Why we have a pmp player and no ac adaptor it is best to have the usb cable plugged in and the av as well, I may have tried it and worked I cannot remember at this time sorry?

Now if you have a vcr or dvd, and you want to play it from the pc to the camera you may convert the file and have a lot more play for example

Converting to Wmv (win movie maker) a 3 hour tape it will work, So you may get over 2 hours or more, the only draw back again is that the battery will die, and you'll not be able to continue where you left off, a poor design of Aipteks part.

All makes sense?

Low quality qwill give you 2 hours play on a 1 gig 1 hour on a 512 card

high quality is recommended , on all important video. vacation those moments you wished you had a camera lol.

that is why I love my musteks, 3 hours play less file size and more on the battery

and last . in sterio, the mp3 may be sterio, but the playback is in Mono, as the cord only has 1 vid and 1 rca aud , you may purchase a n adaptor and make it mono/mono

mod fishy
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:27 PM   #5

Is the battery a type I'll be able to buy at Radio Shack (used in other devices, in other words), or will I have to order from Aiptek?

Also, is no AC adapter available for this unit? I'm going to use it for shooting movies (as a camcorder), but honestly what I REALLY am interested in is using it as a portable video recorder to record tv shows, movies, etc.

About stereo...if I rip a dvd on my computer, then convert it to asf with ima-adpcm audio in stereo, will the MPVR be able to play the stereo soundtrack?

Mike
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:54 PM   #6

1. radioshack does not have the battery, i checked it out, you may try, I have purchased a np-60 2 of them thinking they would fit the camera they are off by 1/32 of an inch. so Aiptek is wise , there must be a place to get a replacement for 5.00, I hate spending 25.oo for th battery. not worth the money.

2. as using the usb port of the pc, you can gt some long cables if it is a av or rca or usb, and that will run off the pc. while you lug it to the av/rca imput. I taken the laptop and it worked.

3 no ac adaptor, but if you know about ac/dc voltage get yourself a 3.plus (3,7vdc) adaptor, and yes the two outer connections you got yourself unlimited power.

4. The Unit will record duel sound, Sterio hmmmmm , not dolby 5.1 for sure. but will record sound. . your best bet and I think it is funny ( in a good way) using the camera as a dvd recorder. . People are illigally recording movies this way , and well you have the cam in hand your answer to your question is simple , playback a video.

1. http://media.putfile.com/IMAG0014719
http://media.putfile.com/CLIP002271

3. http://media.putfile.com/CLIP002375

all have sound from both sides sterio again hmmmmm. I trust my vcr or pc tv imput.

So Mike, I hope I was of helpful in someways. it is a good camera, in high quality , but when in low , I again go to my trusty mustek. better sound recording , and crisper video. but no pmp. lol
Old Nov 4, 2005, 2:04 PM   #7

Thanks for your help.

With respect (I'm a studio owner and engineer, with 31 plus years in broadcasting and recording), having sound "out of both sides" is NOT stereo. Having DIFFERENT sound from each side, is stereo. But when playing a mono file through a stereo system (and the Aiptek DOES have stereo playback, for mp3s for instance) the norm is for the SAME sound to come from both sides. (Push the "mono" button on your fm stereo radio. The sound still comes "from both sides", but it's THE SAME SOUND FROM BOTH SIDES.)

With stereo, there is a separate left and right channel, and they remain separate all the way through playback.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 2:46 PM   #8

Mike As I answered in the the first topic. I am agreeing with you all the way. The Only one I know that has true sterio is the Sanyo exacta C series and they start from 300 plus to 700.00 to have al these extras, in a economy camcorder would make sense , but we will give up some other features,

for example I rather have the larger flash which is an improvement (see mpvr review) over the older series. and give up the webcam feature, I also would like sound over the photo, and give up the machro, as well as a better battery life and give up some leds which they have on the ront. but not it is in the flash.

thank you for sharing your comments they are very helpful to the site. Fishy
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:52 PM   #9

Hi RadioGiant,

I'm pretty sure the Aiptek MPVR can't record in stereo, regardless of the type of input. The fancier hybrids with stereo microphones do, but I don't think there's one that also has a video-in port. Yet.

The MPVR uses a battery, that as far as I know, is unique. fishycomics, have you done any Internet searches to see if you can find a compatible battery like yours? Are there any model name/numbers on it?

I think the spec for these cameras for a 1Gb sd card is about 74 minutes of 640x480/30fps video in asf, and about 88 minutes in avi. I never use the lower resolutions, so don't know about them.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 3:23 AM   #10

its in the review its in the topics, and Oldh.. had directed me, to the np-60 and not a fat chance to fit in the camera So I have 2 np-60's on the pc ready to go somewhere Lol

I answered the questions mono/mono sound. and the sanyo C series are the best bet of hybrids for stereo/stereo.

as well as your own person stereo recorder and vid separate but you needto be on the T to get a perfect lipsynch.

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
Hi RadioGiant,

I'm pretty sure the Aiptek MPVR can't record in stereo, regardless of the type of input. The fancier hybrids with stereo microphones do, but I don't think there's one that also has a video-in port. Yet.

The MPVR uses a battery, that as far as I know, is unique. fishycomics, have you done any Internet searches to see if you can find a compatible battery like yours? Are there any model name/numbers on it?

I think the spec for these cameras for a 1Gb sd card is about 74 minutes of 640x480/30fps video in asf, and about 88 minutes in avi. I never use the lower resolutions, so don't know about them.