Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 4, 2005, 6:58 PM   #1

I've been looking at these 2 madels for a minute now and I wanted your help in deciding which to buy. I got in contact with a rep from Ispan and she sent me a PI and PO invoice to purchase an DDV-1000. Do you think it is worth the extra $90 or so bucks?
ceb0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:59 PM   #2

How did you get in touch with an Ispan person? That's an accomplishment in itself!

The obvious difference between the 920 and the V1 (810) is that the 920 has a 5Mp ccd sensor, while the V1 has a 3Mp cmos sensor. I've never owned a camera with a ccd sensor, but there seems to be universal agreement they are better than cmos.

Beyond that, it's not easy to answer the question. So far as I can tell, the 920 is based on the Omnivision chipset, while the V1 is Zoran-based. While the Zoran chipset has some advantages over the Omnivision, I think my preference right now is for the Omnivision. With any luck, they've made some improvements in it since Omnivision components were used for the 720. If the 920 is based on the Zoran chips, probably it's only improvement on the V1 is the sensor.

I'm waiting for the 920 to show up on eBay, since I will buy one if it's an Omnivision chipset.

Can you pm me the price Ispan quoted?

thanks
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 2:06 AM   #3

I don't know if anyone noticed this, but this site has the video spec for the Digilife DDV-1000 (which I think is the 920), listed as 720x480. Ispan and wimi rate it at 640x480.

http://www.globalsources.com/si/6008...GetProduct.htm

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 3:42 PM   #4

Yes, I noticed the same site says "provides ultrawide view angle". So does this mean it is wider than 4/3? Maybe somewhere between 4/3 and 16/9? Sounds great if it is true.

DJ
digijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 4:42 PM   #5

sounds like they are trying to make it a wide angle lens or wide screen recording.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote