Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:18 AM   #1

Which hybrids take good video in low light? I want to find out before i purchase any hybrid.
draski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:36 AM   #2

Nill, nodda , none . you may try asking a person who owns the sanyo. aiptek, mustek and others needs improvement. the aiptek/mustek have a night mode and that becomes grainy, and is totally worthless, but if needed info on the subject it can come handy
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:55 PM   #3

I agree with Fishycomics. Remember, your eye is a lot more sensitive to light than most digital sensors, especially those in economy hybrids. What's low light to you may be no light to the camera. Those with CCD sensors are slightly better than those with CMOS sensors, but still not good.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:24 PM   #4

Yup, none, at this time... keep in mind that small lenses, small apertures and small sensors = less light, also a still camera can increase it's exposure significantly, a videocam generally has to keep pace at 30 exposures per second.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 2:16 PM   #5

Cal, and OldH. And most owners of the hybrids like myself , are amazed in what they can do, and wish they can do better. I have a number of hybrids and find I enjoy using the video feature for al my needs and I have taken a cruise , and had the oppertunity to film a show onboard, the show was lit, but the audience was dark, it did not stop me from filming. It really helped me remember my trip im momory, I just wished I had a sd card that held more info, and a better hybrid. I now have 4-6, and could have gotten a camcorder, now i could have gotten a elphi, casio, et with a optical zoom. Lol I think a digital camera like my olympus will take excellent night shots, as well as a vid shot if I had tried out the quick time which I never had.

hope my short story will not dissapoint you but help you debate if a hybrid is what you are looking for. I do recommend any hybrid it is a gadget one musyt have if you own a pc................................................ . mod fishy.....................................
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 2:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies .
draski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:43 PM   #7

I've had 4 hybrids, and the best one so far for video in "low" light is the Digilife DDV-720. It works just fine at office lighting levels, and ok at lower levels. Significantly better than the DDV-V1. Still, it's useless in dim light. If I want to record something in dim light, that's too large or distant for the flash to light up, I'll take stills instead.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote