Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:10 AM   #1

The Polaroid Studio 4 is available at a local store. I plan on checking it out tomorrow though I doubt I'll be able to shoot with it before buying it. But... I can't find a single review or comment about it anywhere... and I've been to the end of the Internet and back... Anybody heard anything about this little digicam ? (basically similar to a lot of others -SD card, 640x480 video, MPEG 4 -and does mention Mac compatiblility !!)
guitpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:57 AM   #2

Hi guitpicker,

Welcome to the forum!

And thanks for bringing the Polaroid hybrid to our attention. I googled for it, and found lots of sites that mention it, including Polaroid's:
http://www.polaroid-digital.com/site...61&pid=194
I added it to the Hybrid List.

What I don't like about this camera is: They post no specs for the video frame rate, so it could be unacceptably slow. It has no MP3 player or flash. I wouldn't buy it unless it was about $75usd. I still wouldn't buy it because of the missing features. For about the same price I saw, you can get a far superior camera, such as the Aiptek DV5900 or 5300. And for, say, $30 more, you can get a state-of-the art hybrid like the Digilifes or the latest Aipteks.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:54 AM   #3

Well..I've decided to go ahead and go with the Aiptek MPVR. But I am working on some art projects where multiple cheap cameras would work very nicely, and I was thinking that the Polaroid name would be good for something... But, like you say, they are not publishing much data and the manual, which you can download, doesn't say much either...though I do like a lot of the adjustment features and the simplicity, but then, I have nothing to compare it to. If Circuit City will let me play with a display model, then I'll check it out. I'd prefer a mini-cam with a decent Macro... know if any of the newer models of these hybrids has a Macro mode ?
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:13 AM   #4

Yeah, I basically think the Polaroid is a lousy camera period, let alone at that price. I suspect it's a clone, but haven't been able to figure out what it's a clone of.

You'll find the other hybrids have at least as many adjustments etc. As for a macro mode, most of them have this. Any with "manual" focus in the hybrid list have some closeup capability. By using a little digital zoom, you can fill the screen of most of them with, say, a shot of a daisy. Others, usually the more expensive ones, can go right down to 1cm or so. I don't include that spec in the list, so you'll have to look up each camera to see what its macro limits are.

Btw, I bought a spycam that plugs into the video-in port of my camera, and the lens on it can be adjusted for closeups with the lens just .5cm from the subject. So I can do ants full-screen.

Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:38 AM   #5

What spy cam are you using -and is that with the Aipek MPVR ?
I just got my MPVR a couple of hours ago and am charging the battery. I shot a little video with the juice that was in it and I'm impressed so far. I'm not concerned about the low light capability -I never expected greatness in that area.
A lot of the cameras have a macro setting but you still can't get very close..maybe within a couple of feet. I ordered a Microtek MV500 from TigerDirect because I want to check out its Macro which supposedly lets you get within an inch. I wanted a couple of cameras anyway because I'm doing some documentary & experimental stuff where multiple cameras will come into play. I have an older JVC VS200 with true progressive scan that I use as my primary camera (mini DV -excellent camera -have it decked out with lots of macro lenses). I'm looking at ordering the remote and an extra battery from Aiptek. One nice thing about the Microtek is that it uses 2 AA and it is extremely compact -just hope the picture is worth a darn.
I also have an older GY something-or-other JVC 3 chip SVHSC industrial camcorder that was great in its day...it has a pro lens...hmmmm -I wonder how it would look record direct into the MPVR.....Hmmmmmm
Old Nov 11, 2005, 2:36 AM   #6

Check down lower in the list of topics for the one where we've discussed the spycams.

I have a Digilife DDV-V1, which I can use with the spycam. The V1 is the same internally as the MPVR, except the V1 comes with the remote control, and it uses a standard NP-60 battery.

That's great that you're getting two hybrids, and I hope you can post some intersting comparisons for us. There are people anxious to hear about the Microtek MV500, since it sounds like an attractive package. The specs I have for it indicate it is larger than the MPVR, and uses 4-AAA batteries. Which is correct?

If the camcorders won't output directly to the hybrid, the roundabout solution is to play the camcorder's tape in a vcr, and use the vcr's output into the MPVR. But that means recording everything twice.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:10 AM   #7

You're right... The Microtek MV500 uses 4 AAA. I was comparing so many yesterday that I think I was starting to get all the brands mixed up. But it does have the 1" Macro that I'm eager to check out. My other camera's output will work fine into the MPVR. Right now I'm recording onto the Aipek MPVR an episode of "Weeds" that I originally captured from Cable onto a DVD recorder. Just a test. These cameras remind me of the old Fisher Price Flicker camera that recorded onto audio cassettes ! ..but much better quality. I do wish the camera recorded stereo, but......
Check out this lantern I nabbed for $10 at a local Garden Ridge:
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...amp;s=uwb70000
It puts out a lotta light...I want to get another, take it apart, and adapt it more for video. Next time I post about my findings with these new cameras, I'll start another string with the new subject. I also may be experimenting with running some wires into the battery compartment of the MPVR to power it externally. Cheers.