Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:27 PM   #1

Hi everybody, im a new member and i have to tell you that this forum is great. i learn a lot reading all the posts, and i decided to buy a ddv-m1 (i´ll use it to tape my friends and family, nothing profesional and to record tv shows). I guess this is the best affordable option.

I live in Mexico and here nobody sell this camera, the only cameras that are sold are the digilife ddv-660, some mustek models and the samsung miniket (too expensive).

I want to ask your help, since here in Mexico nobody sells this model i cant go to the shop of the corner and ask for a video quality test. Thats why im asking for some gentel soul to please upload a piece of video taken with this camera. So in that way i can see the quality of the video before buying the camera in ebay.

Can someone please upload the video in a page that doesnt compress the video quality. because i look some videos in "youtube" and they look a little compressed.

Any help will be very appreciated.

John-G.

(Sorry for my poor english, i hope that the general idea was understood)

JOHN-G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:40 AM   #2

John-G welcome aboard.

You asked a great question, and I am proud of you, i have tried my dammed hardest here, and well went out of my way to ask retailers of ebay, the owners of the corperations etc. to send me sample shots, the actual camera etc.

It seems we have to remember one thing even though we have a pc some are still way to shy to load anything on the net, for example I cannot mention his name . but also some people do not have dsl or fast internet access, and got dial up, that leads to very little activity of video uploads.

best solution for this is to go into ebay look at the feedback find the camera that someone purchased and contact them, as well as someone here too. they may have that vid clip.

again welcome aboard

I only have for mustek and aiptek sorry.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:34 PM   #3

I think that if you can find samples for the Digilife DDV-720/7000, or the Aiptek MPVR, or the Digilife DDV-V1, the M1's video output should be very similar, but probably a little better. It should do significantly better stills.

I don't like to post video samples because so much of the quality depends on the circumstances of the shot and the skill of the photographer, and because I'm still in the dark ages with dial-up.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:27 PM   #4

Thank you fishycomics and sgspirit for your replies. Celeriman that happens to be a member in this group made me the favor to upload a couple of vids and if he doesnt botter and if someone else need them ill post the link.

I more question, i tried to register in ebay but they asked me for a credit card (which i dont have). Is there another way to register or did you know another site that sells the camera ddv-m1 to persons like me ( that doesnt have credit cards)?.

Thank you all, great forum

John-G
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:24 PM   #5

actually diglife m1's video output is very much different from previous digilife cameras (v1, 720, 660), the quality is very bad at low light environment, lots of noise, 720 is still by far the best hybrid camera in terms of video output quality in every circumstances. hope the new ddv920 can be better (with ccd sensor!)
coolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:10 AM   #6

coolee wrote:
Quote:
actually diglife m1's video output is very much different from previous digilife cameras (v1, 720, 660), the quality is very bad at low light environment, lots of noise, 720 is still by far the best hybrid camera in terms of video output quality in every circumstances. hope the new ddv920 can be better (with ccd sensor!)
I haven't tried an M1, but that's disappointing to hear. I have a 720 and a V1, and I'm starting to consider the 720 the better of the two of them. The V1 shows far less blurring during panning or fast-moving subjects. But the color is quite inferior compared to the 720. Far too often the V1's video looks washed-out. Both handle contrast equally well, but he 720 works at lower light levels than the V1.

I also like my 720 because it can be turned on and off just by opening and closing the screen, the screen icons can easily be turned off, and it has a better mp3 player (stereo!). Feels solid too, not like the cheesy V1. But the V1 handles more video formats, and you can delete mp3's. As I've said before, why can't they put all the better features on 1 camera?

I too hope the 920 is an improvement.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 2:50 AM   #7

I thought that the M1 was the best option, but now, reading all this i dont know.
im looking for 3 things in a camera:

1.- Non expensive (im not a millionaire)
2.- Good video quality (i dont ask for excellent quality) im not going to use it for professional porpuse.
3.- possibility of recording tv shows ( tv input).

Thats all im asking for.

is the M1 the best option for me?

Thanks to all for your answers.

Old Nov 13, 2005, 4:57 AM   #8

John-G there you go. I own the mpvr and when you record the shows into the camera i use the 640 x 480 the lower quality does not work for me. 1 hour 1 gig card. the lower quality may lead to simular problems like the vcd where vid and voice do not match up.

I have taken my dvd player since I do not know how to copy dvds with software, dvd9 protection lol and bypass by two options play the dvd directly into the mpvr or cable tv, as well as the pc then I transilate to win movie maker wmv file and get 5 hours of video footage over 1 hour o vid ona 1 gig card I may loose resolution but on a 2./4 screen you'll never se the difference. and never see any show after 2 hours lol

so I hope that wil clear up some confusion but to find someone here a.s.a.p. for the answer who owns a m1 the only difference may be the chip, the case but all the same different models. we are finding so many look alikes 15 for the m1 and a remote , mpvr 160 no remote
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote