Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:10 PM   #11

Okay, the Mustek it is. I found it for $119.00 at Office Depot- good deal? Can I get it for less? You seem to just just a little about this, so I figured I'd ask!

Other than checking out some of the new models of the Musteks (I don't know if they're out of my price range), I think I've made my decision. The "Happy Days" concert video sold me- exactly what I'm looking for!

Jim
wcjmproducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:26 PM   #12

My God, am I picky. But, here's a last-minute question for you.

I already own a 1 gb SD card. I know the Mustek 4500 only takes up to 512. Can I still use the 1 gb card and the camera will read it as a 512? I don't want to buy another card if I don't have to.

Thanks a bunch,

Jim
Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:21 PM   #13

I placed my 1 gig in and it played so I had no trouble at all.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:07 PM   #14

Fishy, the "Happy Days" video is a winner!

The only "concert" clip I found was from a December 2003 party, and was taken with a Mustek DV3500. I'm afraid its a good example of a bad concert video. The room lighting was poor and there was no supplemental lighting on the entertainer. Camera position was bad. To try to correct this, full digital zoom was used ... a BIG mistake. The clip was taken in the camera's high res (640x480) resulting in a 10 fps rate when it should have been done in low res to increase the frame rate and to use a lower compression factor. Finally, there was the rookie cameraman (Me) taking his first indoor video.:sad:

Because of the quality and large size of the clip, I won't be hurt if nobody downloads it.:-)

The Party Singer 2:11 10.5 MB 9.9fps 658 kbps
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 2:02 AM   #15

Hi wcjmproducer,
You have some very specific needs, and I can't answer many of your questions. But I'll try a few.

The cameras limited to 512Mb SD cards should be able to use 1Gb cards, but will only use half of them. The camera just doesn't know how to address more than 512Mb of space.

The Digilife's all have tripod sockets, except for the DDV-670 and S670. However, people are making clamps for using mobile phones as video cameras, and they would work with the 670 and S670. I would guess 90% of the hybrids have tripod sockets.

The Digilife DDV-V1 has a very sensitive microphone, so avoid it. The Digilife DDV-S670 has a very insensitive microphone, while the 720's mic is a little better. None of the hybrids have provision for external mics or adjusting the mic gain. I think I claimed somewhere that it seemed to me one of the cameras had a good-performing mic that used compresssion - automatically adjusting to sound volume. I don't remember which one it was, but you could do a search of the forum for my id and "microphone" "compress". I suspect it was the Aiptek DV4500. The newer version of it, the 5900, might fit your needs.

As for light levels, most of the cheaper hybrids are useless for video indoors. The best of them I've tried is the Digilife DDV-720, which works just fine at office lighting levels, and even a little dimmer.

The subject of synch between the video and its sound track has only recently come up here, and so we've just started to look for problems with that. I can appreciate this would be very important to you.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 6:14 AM   #16

Oldhacer i cannot download lol 3 peope already did i must have made 4th. I get close more info, lol and I am updated oon codecs hmmmmm.

thank you as the topic for WC he opened a new one

the aiptek I do not like due to low volume you need to go to page 4 and look for comparison of the aiptek vs mustek I'll post the link let me tell you I am playing my car stero loud. if you want tell me how loud you want a movie clip, and i'll make up the video on the

mustek 3000

mustek 3500

mustek 4500

aiptek5300

aIPTEK MPV4

Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:53 PM   #17

I guess I'd like to hear a really loud clip on the Aiptek 5300, the Mustek 4500, and the MVPR, if you have the time. Actually, any time you give is greatly appreciated.

For the volume, I'd like it to be as loud as one guy with an electric guitar and vocals and having it loud enough to play to about 50 people from about 15 feet away. Pretty loud, but not earth-shattering, you know?

I can't wait to hear the results!

Jim
Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:09 AM   #18

I shall try my best but it is too early to blast a stereo or strum some fake notes.

the mpvr, was told to all it was and is on sale in target. the online site does not display or the eastern north has advertised it. So my guess it is mid west. in a few minutes I'll be heading out to target, and see if it is availablr as I do some other shopping.

I was saying the mpvr has an av input. Sgspirit had tested out the camera (digi life) with an external mic and lens

Ifwe know the plug configuration. it may be possable to bypass the internal mic and keep the internal lens going and have it se up to a capaciter or sound system, and back to the camera

If not , alternitive solution is cotton or foam on the mic.

Now how loud do you want the sound I will do some vids with it blasting 10 feet away etc. takes time in the mid afternoon thank you.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:58 AM   #19

For a limited time, eBay is offering coupons when you use your Paypal account for select customers. Your guess is as good as mine as to what "select" customers means.
10% off, $25 maximum savings code C1-Holiday2005
$5 off $50 purchase code C2-Holiday2005
$15 off $100 purchase code C3-Holiday2005
Expires: 11/30/2005
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:36 AM   #20

Wc....

aiptek mpvr http://media.putfile.com/CLIP000437

Sitting in my car. speakers are like they appear on my driver side and pass side , as well just behind me with tweeters on the dash

My ears are ringing I started out 50% and went to full. if you can hear the volume difference then I award you with congrads, I Believe no matter how loud I went I was at full it still stayed the same level.

aiptek dv5300 no tripod bad battery life same song http://media.putfile.com/IMG_006254

you may hear a lil increase again same scenerio as above 5 settings on this camera I love the style

mustek dv4500 (5000) no need for the 3000,3500 same cameras same song same scenerio sounds a tab louder

http://media.putfile.com/IMAG00047732

I am facing into the sunat 2 pm there is some glare, the mustek may show the most bad vid , but we are looking at the sound test now I leave it all up to you the song is guns and roses. about the 4th track gots a good sound and guitar and voice as you requested now we await your decision.