Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:02 PM   #11

thanks guys for all the help,

I will definitely call aiptek about other error codes if I see the error again. It happens very rarely with very unique circumstances. I have research the web to find error codes for the cards and have not seen anything that applies.

I never thought about just trying to use the internal memory---I forgot that it existed. This would tell me if the cards are the problem---thanks.

I have read your review and I still do not know how you run the camera off the USB power. When I connect the camera to my PC it immediately becomes a remote drive for the PC and the files can be read but the ability to use other functions is not there, so how do you use it as a remote power source from the PC?? I know it powers the camera because I have connected it without the battery but all other functions are disabled except the ability to read it as a drive and the ability to turn the camera on and off.

WOW, when writing this response I had an idea---I starting recording and I pulled the battery out of the camera and it went dead. When I put the battery back and reviewed the file I got the error "file failed" . I did it with both the internal and external memory and I got the error; so the error code "file failed" is part of the camera program not the card. However, this is not totally the same problem I have been experiencing because when I have the problem the screen is still lite, the file stops recording and the camera is frozen.

So I think the problem is in a a very quick micro interuption of the power supply which corrupts the file but does not totally turn off the camera because the power is restored in a microsecond----So it must be in the first battery I got because the problem occurred before I got the second camera. I am thinking that It only occured when I used the first battery with the second camera.

sicule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 1:00 PM   #12

I will try t ohelp but I just damaged a friend s cousens car. placed a ladder up boo hoo hoo the glass shattered in my face.

1 The usb bypasses the camera, you will only get the sc card storage only. no webcam like shop at home claimes

you can plug in the av in cable while the usb is runing the bypass thats it. how it works I will demo at a better time

I'll demo pulling the batt out, as well, but for now boo hoo hoo :-)
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 4:32 PM   #13

Sicule, I am having almost the exact same problem on my Digilfe - V!. I think this is the same camera, correct me if I am wrong. What I noticed is it generally happens on a long shoot - like 5 or more minutes. I have the problem with 2 different batteries and with 2 different 1G SD cards. The only thing I notice is that it seems to happen only on a long shoot and when the camera is subjected to more shock. A possible theory - the battery contacts don't seem to have that much pressure - maybe they are momentarily losing contact? I am still stumped and it doesn't happen very often, but really frustrating when it does.

Digi Jim
digijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:09 PM   #14

then a ossable fix if youthink it is a battery loss or loose battery some tape on the bottom to be jammed on the contacts. or some No-ox or contact spray.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:01 PM   #15

Thanks for the post. I think we may be narrowing down the problem.

I have not had a problem for some time. However there is play in the battery, so I will try the suggestion of fishycomics and put some tape on the bottom to reduce any movement. Maybe if we remove the battery compartment cover and try to shift the battery when we are filming--it may duplicate the problem.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:46 AM   #16

I've been able to make the V1 "stumble" by jiggling the battery around. Hasn't happened for quite a while now. Another consideration is the timeout from inactivity. Maybe the camera's getting mixed up with that function. I think you can turn it off completely. Or you could set it for 1 minute and see what happens when it times out during filming.

(Funny that we call it "filming".)
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:24 PM   #17

I tried to wiggle the battery when "filming" and nothing happened. In addition, I set the timeout for 1 minute, recorded, and again nothing.

I do agree that the error occurs when it is a long record, after a few minutes, but not always when the camera being jiggled about.

It may be the battery contact or it may be a hardware system or programming problem because the error message "file failed" may be caused by many multiple problems. We only know that the error message comes when power is interrupted but it can result from other causes.

I have not had the problem for a long time; perhaps I may never see it again or maybe the gremlin went home for the holidays.

The word "filming" will live on well after the knowledge of "what is film" passes from the collective conscience. As in the case when I described to my little niece the "steam shovel" that was picking up dirt-----steam shovels disappears before my birth.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:57 PM   #18

there are four contacts and see if they are all pushing in good if not and one is MIA then your troubles may lie there

I had taken a Ohm's meter and well the outer two are your leads and the inner hmmm a center pin maybe for the strobe the sd card etc?

I would pack up 1 camera and see target, they are super nice no questions asked why be stuck with a mystery problem, and again the second one as well. if you do get the problem after that it is the sd card and the bad batch at target sorry about both giving troubles.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:25 PM   #19

Problem again, long shot 5 minutes, froze, counter stopped but showing.

First Camera, with all original accesories, returned to Target.

Now I will see if the second camera gives me any problems and if it does, back it goes.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:00 PM   #20

Are you going to purchase a new one? it would be a shame if you miss out just because you had a trouble with them try not to ne discourage form a bad expierience