Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 20, 2005, 5:01 PM   #1

I have two mpvr. Very rarely, I have a problem with a video--it stops recording and camera freezes and I get a message "file failed". This is obviously already recognized in the program because it has an pre-defined error message. Has anyone else seen this problem ? I see this problem in both cameras--so I assume it is not a bad camera. In addition I see this problem with a SD card and a mmc card. Both cards are formatted by the camera. I tried shaking the camera, trying to shut if off when recording but I cannot duplicate the error--any ideas?? Also the batteries were sufficiently charged.

I just discovered your forum but I bought my first MPVR at target for $149.00. The second I bought for $98 about three weeks later. The ad said $98 and it included a tripod and a bag. Since I knew the package did not have a bag or a tripod---I asked for it to be included. The people were nice enough (with no problems) to give me a small tripod (retail $15.00) and a bag (retail $9.95) for a penny each. So I paid for the whole package $98.02. I live near Denver, Colorado. So I actually paid $73.07--not a bad price.

Both cameras work well with one have a little better sound. However one of the chargers is slower to fully charge the battery.

I do not believe in returning an item to a business if the products works and just because I found a cheaper replacement. However, I would ask for a price match, if I was in the two week period between purchases for targets policies.

Since I wanted an extra battery, I figured I would keep both cameras and have a backup for all cables, charges, battery and of course an extra camera (which is like having an extended warranty but I already got the replacement camera).

sicule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:26 PM   #2

Welcome aboard Sicule, I am so jealous, that the tristate NYC did not include me in that sale So I shal no longer help out Lol

Just kidding?

You may need to be more spacific

you will get a card error if you are trying to load a file that is not supported by the camera for example?

Let me remember correctly. if you are using it to upload a different file from the pc to the sd card it'll read error, because you must convert the file over and name it clip0101 not clip0001 why you may duplicate and delete or overwrite 0001's clip i have made a file and it was a different asf file nissing a codec caused it to get failed on the screenI hope that helps out some

the battery. each battery is different, 3.5 hours to charge if you place both in at the same time one may have a tab more or less juice and be about 5 minutes off. 3.5 hours max

Yes I agree for that price the camera can bestored away or used. I have writen a letter via email if i get satifaction I'll be a camera extra but not me? thanx for finding us. have you read my review the question may be in there but try what I told you

delete the card from the pc anddo the following

record a vid from the camera. delete it

load a vidfrom a different source and see if you get the read error and that cn be done using win movie maker do a wmv file and load it up, then you'll see it not on there , convert it and it works

sicule wrote:
Quote:
I have two mpvr. Very rarely, I have a problem with a video--it stops recording and camera freezes and I get a message "file failed". This is obviously already recognized in the program because it has an pre-defined error message. Has anyone else seen this problem ? I see this problem in both cameras--so I assume it is not a bad camera. In addition I see this problem with a SD card and a mmc card. Both cards are formatted by the camera. I tried shaking the camera, trying to shut if off when recording but I cannot duplicate the error--any ideas?? Also the batteries were sufficiently charged.

I just discovered your forum but I bought my first MPVR at target for $149.00. The second I bought for $98 about three weeks later. The ad said $98 and it included a tripod and a bag. Since I knew the package did not have a bag or a tripod---I asked for it to be included. The people were nice enough (with no problems) to give me a small tripod (retail $15.00) and a bag (retail $9.95) for a penny each. So I paid for the whole package $98.02. I live near Denver, Colorado. So I actually paid $73.07--not a bad price.

Both cameras work well with one have a little better sound. However one of the chargers is slower to fully charge the battery.

I do not believe in returning an item to a business if the products works and just because I found a cheaper replacement. However, I would ask for a price match, if I was in the two week period between purchases for targets policies.

Since I wanted an extra battery, I figured I would keep both cameras and have a backup for all cables, charges, battery and of course an extra camera (which is like having an extended warranty but I already got the replacement camera).

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:56 PM   #3

Thank You for the reply.

I am a former New Yorker and I have to disguise my New Yawk accent and talk quietly (meaning-act dumb, wear jeans and have a tabacco chew in the cheek) to get the "special western treatment"---if I was in the big Apple, I would not have got the deal. That is one of the reasons I moved here 27 yrs. ago.

To make it clear, I am recording a video on the camera and it is writing to the SD card in the camera. That is when It freezes and I get the error "file failed" and when I try to access the file from the camera menu after I remove the battery to reboot the system.

Thanks for the help
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:06 PM   #4

alright that helps out alot. but the problem sounds like the sd card?

1. the card is it a MMC? or sd?

2 the brand of card?

I use panasonic. k data and sandisk.

I mainly have sandisk 1 gig sd card in it

it sounds like the camera does not accepts the card you are using it is crashing. like the old hanshing i will accept a 128 and 256k sandisk, but when you load up a 512 sd sandisk it crashs and freezes causing you to remove the battery and resett the camera and start all over again , and again , and again till you lower the sd card.

have you tried a different sd card? that will be the fix.

if not you got two defective cameras?

and that would be weird?

you are right being out of the Apple may have gotten me some great deals,
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:10 PM   #5

Hi sicule,

Are you allowing the camera to fully power up before starting to film the videos? And letting them finish processing before doing anything else? It's probably not a memory card issue since it happens on more than one card.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:43 PM   #6

This problem seems to occur many minutes into the recording--everthing in working fine and then it stops recording; the camera freezes, must pull out battery to restart; check file and it is there, but a blank, and gives the error message when trying to retrieve.

Thanks for the information about starting a video before fully booting up---I will pay attention to that issue.

The SD card I have is a sandisk 1 gb and the mmc card is a memorex 64 mb.

I am starting to think it may be a specifc battery because I have been switching batteries between cameras and just maybe it happened with one battery. I have now labeled each battery so I can better watch the situation.

Thanks for all the help.

By the way, I love living in the West and the folks---people have taught me to be quieter, have more patience and live a more relaxed lifestyle---but I miss the food, the ethnic influences, water, trees, autumn, my youth---I am getting nostalgic!
Old Nov 21, 2005, 1:12 AM   #7

You're not running into the camera timing out from inactivity, are you? Still, it should save what it's recorded and do a graceful shutdown. Is it powering off when this happens, and about how long is it before the problem shows up?

It would seem very odd that no one else is reporting this, and you have two cameras doing it.

Maybe they don't work properly at such high altitude:-)
Old Nov 21, 2005, 2:14 AM   #8

Thanks for the help.

No it is not timing out as it is operating and recording---then it stops recording and the time frame disappears and everything appears normal except it is frozen and still powered on. I have tried to recreate the problem but unsucessfully.

What would be helpful to know is where the error notice (file failed) comes from. Does it emanate from the camera system, or from a built in error codes for the SD Cards??? This error code is not listed in the camera manual on page 42, System Message; maybe it comes from the SD card program.

As far as altitude goes---good thought, I have to take it to the shore and see. Maybe the camera wants to go on a vacation.:-)

Well, let us see if anyone else reports the same problem.

Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2005, 2:45 AM   #9

There are lots of websites about SD cards, maybe do a search for the error message.

The camera might well have codes not documented in the manual.

You might call Aiptek in California. They don't answer emails, but I did manage to talk to a helpful human being back when I had an Aiptek hybrid.

Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:47 AM   #10

Sicule

try out this.

1. take out the memory and let the camera record all out at low resolution till the end you'll get memory full. if that works try it again and do not let it go to the end stop it 30 sec's before.

If that works out fine, the mmc card is not liked in the camera like I stated.

2. the battery should not be an issue, try plugging in the camera to the Pc or laptop and record off a video source like the tv plug it into a vcr and in the vid out and aud out let it record on the Internal memory, and external memory see if it happ's

you have to work on it using the internal memory only, then try the external memory,

I use a sandisk 256,512,1 gig and a panasonic 128 no headaches

but like i said only when I load up an unusual file I'll get fail when I go to playback.

try formatting the sd card in the pc not once but multiple times and then the camera multiple times, then go try the camera out, if it fails try going to the mp3 section allow the camera to create its file and then back to the camera mode and see if it happs.

otherwise you'll need to go to target and do an exchange