Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:34 PM   #1

This is a new thread continuing a topic change from the old thread aiptek mpvr camera-file failed.

I have found that one of the MPVR cameras that I had was different. It had the ability to be set as a webcam:

1. Go to setting menu
2. USB Mode
3. Select Camera (If your mpvr does not have this option then it is one of those which cannot be set as a webcam.) One of my cameras only had: menu, disk, printer---as options; this camera has menu, camera, disk, printer---as a option.
4. Windows scanner and camera wizard will load two separate devices:
DV 6800(still) and DV6800(video) with that exact description with parenthesis.
5. The still camera can take pictures when atached to the PC.
6. the video camera acts as a webcam

Camera and webcam work.

It appears a mistake was made on some of these cameras and the webcam firmware was loaded. The Aiptek camera website(Taiwan) list the 6800 as having webcam ability and other features as light metering and red eye but I have not seen them in this camera.

I bought both cameras at Target and only only had the Camera option in the USB Mode in settings. I have returned the deficient camera because it had a problem freezing as described in the other thread.

I have not been able to discover how to determine the firmware version in the camera. Of course the firmware would determine the abilities to have features that have been disabled when this camera was sold as MPVR in U.S. The manual does not show a camera option for webmail. There is no software provided to run the webcam but the windows wizard will load drivers that work. Nor have I been able to determine driver versions of software loaded for mpv.

The Taiwan and German websites as well as the U.S. websites does not provide any manuals or drivers for the 6800 camera.

Why did aptek disabled this feature??? when an extra feature which is already there
would help sell the camera????

Why does this camera have it??? and maybe others?? I assume an error was made.

Will aiptek provide upgrade firmware or any firmware and driver??? The 6800 and 8800 have been out in europe and asia, longer, and yet no manuals or drivers are available??

Happy Thanksgiving---I have plenty of cooking to do.

sicule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:37 PM   #2

Aiptek must get their act together with the Owners of the camera.

Ispan digilife Aiptek all fall under one company they may not admitt to it but it all looks like the models all got the same body.

The 6800 can be fine tuned a 3 meg software enhanced to 8 megs and more the 512 buffer should be the next item looked at. Some cameras use all the internal memory and only allow 5 meg of the 32 meg for filming.

the webcam feature was talked about , and found on the Home shopping Network, I am awaiting a response as we know digilife has a tv Option and available if found, the answer will soon be here.

As for start up, the camera Only opens up on the external memory if the sd card isin, as well as if the sd card is out no webcam or printer feature is present on my start up,

Turning the camera On with the USB plug not in will show in the settings camera and printer so my Unit has no webcam

Now if possable that there are newer versions , I'll await for one to show up, in due time I am happy with mine I have 5 cameras and 4 are webcam features . I use one

and it is not the best in the world low lite is bad but it shall do.......mod fishy
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 3:27 PM   #3

I think the home shopping network marketing is basing the webcam info on the main taiwan aiptek website which list it, as well as other features---it is more likely a mistake, as the mpvr definitely does not have a webcam, as per aiptek usa. No one has reported buying a webcam enabled camera from hsn.
sicule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:49 AM   #4

I guess this sort of thing is what distinguishes the first-tier camera makers from the second-tier makers.

Thanks for the research sicule. My Digilife DDV-V1 is basically the same camera as the Aiptek MPVR. I've tried every button and power-on combination I can think of, without revealing the firmware info.

It does have the webcam "camera" function in the USB menu.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:33 AM   #5

as sicue said. i think you must be in the camera its menue and in its function there are no webcam on mine but I can bypas by the usb abd caption.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote