Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 30, 2005, 2:33 AM   #1

Hi everyone,I,m about to buy my very first DV camcorder and since the prices are usually way too expensive for me, I think I dont have any other choice then to buy a Digilife cam on Ebay.Unless someone has a better idea!!Even if this is going to be my first camcorder, I dont want to buy something¬* that would give less then 3 or 4 Mpix, and now... well i dont know wich Digilife model would be the best offer (quality-price). I cant afford a cam higher than 150$CDN (about 128$US).And one last question... does anyone know if all Digilife cams will work with Mac Os X (Apple computers)???So if you have tried more than 1 model of Digilife cam, or if you simply know everything about¬*dv camcorders, I would be glad to read your suggestions and advises!Thanks everyone!Kim
AmieDeLaMarmotteEmpaillee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 4:43 AM   #2

Sorry my cameras all work on windows. that is the downside sg owns a digilife he may be able to answer you that question?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 7:21 AM   #3

I'm still waiting for advices or suggestions, but in the meantime I'd like to ask for a specific information....If we take the "1.5" TFT LCD Digital Camcorder/Video Camera",¬* here's somthing written in the specifications:System Requirements:
PC:
Pentium 166 Mhz processor or higher Microsoft Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP
Available USB port
Super VGA card and color monitor
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
At least 64 MB RAM
200MB available HD space
„ÄÄ
Mass Storage:
Win98SE,Me,2000,XP
Mac OS 9.X and 10.1 above
Linux 2.4X above
„ÄÄ
PC Camera Driver:
Win98SE,Me,2000,XP
I dont get it! Mac is listed in the "mass storage"¬* requirement. Does that mean this specific camera could perfectly work with Mac os X ? even if no drivers¬*exist¬*for Mac?¬*Thanks againKim
Old Nov 30, 2005, 3:15 PM   #4

I have a DigiLife V1 and use a Mac with MacOSX 10.4. The camera is great.

The DigiLife V1 is compatible with the Mac with the DigiLife V1 set to Disk mode (USB 2.0). The DigiLife V1 indeed mounts as a USB disk drive.

I have Virtual PC installed, and the DigiLife Camera Mode works nicely with Windows when Virtual PC is running. In other words, the "PictBridge" does work on the Mac with Windows running. Although I haven't explored this very thoroughly yet, MacOSX, itself, just doesn't seem to know what to do with the Camera Mode "PictBridge" with the DigiLife V1. Perhaps, I'm missing a setting or something with MacOSX for this.

I use ffmegX to convert the ASF movies to AVI. Then, I use QuickTime PRO to convert the AVI to QuickTime MOV or H264 MP4 for the IPOD Video.

One problem I've been having is that I can't get the DigiLife MP3 player to play, yet. It hangs, and I have to pull out the battery to reset it. I'm not sure what this is yet. Perhaps, this has something to do with MacOS X putting .DStore files in the camera's folders? Not sure yet.

Anyhow, the camera has paid for itself twice over. I will also get the DigiLife ISpan 920 when it shows up from Queenofglitter on Ebay.

I hope this helps.
-
dbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:12 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum, dbong,

Thanks for the excellent intel. We need participants like you who can advise on the use of Hybrids with Macs.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 2:39 AM   #6

AAAh Damnit !!!!!!!I just wrote a long reply but closed the window instead of sending the message!!!!!Ok well, I'll just make that shorter :Thanks Dbong for your help! Thank you VERY much. I normally wont need the "pictbridge" option and I'll simply deal with the fact that the Digilife mp3 player wont probably work!I also use FfmpegX but I dont remember having tried to convert a AVI to .Mov or to Mpeg4 (cuz these are the extensions that automatically open with¬*Quicktime). I did'nt know we needed Quicktime Pro for this!About the "DigiLife ISpan 920" I read on this forum that it possibily is the same thing than the Digilife Dv-1000 model :http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=73011&forum_id=92&jump_t o=405735But anyway, I'll simply buy the only model that is proved to work with Mac Os X !!! Thanks again Dbong!Kim
Old Dec 4, 2005, 4:18 AM   #7

Would you know what "USB Storage Support : Mac 9.1 or above (Suppport MSDC)" means? I really dont know what MSDC is, but I hope I have it on Mac Os X....Kim