Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:26 PM   #1

Hello folks. Here's my dilemma. We are going on a ski trip to CO for Christmas with the kids. My wife wants to bring a video camera along. The only one we have is an old Sharp huge 8mm analogthat we won't bring (too big).

I cam across these Aiptek's after seeing an add in the newspaper. We also looked at some MiniDV Sony camcorders for around $300-400. I want something I can stick in my pocket and pull out whenever I want to take some video of the scenery, us skiing, us falling down (since none of us have ever skiied before), etc.

Irealize that a MiniDV's video quality will be much better than a Digicam but I'm afraid of a couple of things with a MiniDV camcorder such as: condensation going from extreme hot to cold environments, falling down with the camcorder in my pocket and breaking the darn thing, and things like that. Plus, I do want to buy a nice new camcorder down the road, but maybe when the prices come down on the hard drive units.

So I thought I might give the MPVR a shot since my wife found one in Target today for $129 on sale. I'd pick up a couple of 1G SD cards and have about 1 1/2 hrs of video to shoot. I figure I can sllip this in my pocket and not have to worry about condensation on tape heads or breaking it as easy since it doesn't have hardly any moving parts that could get out of whack like a tape camcorder.

Do you folks think this would be a worth while use for this device? Would it give me decent quality video on the 640x480 setting that will look good on TV?

I also see that the MPVR outputs in asf format. Will I have to convert to AVI before I burn to DVD and when I do, will it look good?

Sorry if these are all repeat questions but I don't have the time to read every thead...

Thanks!

ljs3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:15 PM   #2

Ljs..Welcome excellent questions. mpvr is a great toy,

can film w/o worries of breaking what is a 129.00

but if I were going I concider a camcorder can fit in a belt pack around your waste, beat the family down the hill and use that 25 optical zoom. 2 hour batt life and still can grab still on a 1 meg camera it has with a sd card. or grab the vid and capture later. jvc and canon are the choices shop at home is brainwashing me

I am not saying the mpvr is bad it is best suited for on the go stuff. it wil ldo its trick and can be a great mp3 etc afterwards and your kids will love it. Please read some of the reviews and look at the pics in the vid upload center. any video you see will be thesame the mpvr will pixalate somewhat on a 42 inch set

for ASF file you need not worry you save it to dv-avi in your software ,

on another note Iam throwing at you. casio 500 series makes a digital camera and takes 30 fps movie jpeg (quick time yuk) but runs 300. and is smaller. hop e this helps out.

I would take my mustek for sure on a ski trip over a camcorder, yes if I fall or not worry bout breaking thats the way t ogo. white out or snow blindness get a lens filter paper and stick it on th plastic
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:25 PM   #3

Fishy,

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right. Without an optical zoom, it's going to be hard to pick out one particular person on a ski slope. That's what turned me off about the digicams (lack of optical zoom). The Samsung SCX105L was kind of cool since it does have 10X optical zoom but the amount of video you get on a SD card is very, very small.

A camcorder I was looking at was the Sony DCR-H21. It has gotten good reviews and can be picked up for around $300 after rebates. Do you think I would have any difficulties operating this type in extreme cold weather (~0-15degF)??
ljs3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:34 AM   #4

I never owned a camcordr the only thing I see is . you got gloves on and you may get water on the gloves andtransfer to camcorder. prep the camcorderwith a glad bag.so you look funny filming with a glad bag lol at least you have the lens area open better the no protection.

battery should operate better keep batteries in fridge thatwa a myth.

I ee the lens get fogged up in extreme humidity but cold not at all. camcorder operation should be very simple today they have easy one step buttons good luck. and I am soo to get one when hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:57 PM   #5

I've used hybrids to video skiers. I think that even with an optical zoom, unless you're doing professional work, skiers move too far too fast to get good footage most of the time. But, if you are also moving, such as skiing behind someone, or beside them, you can get some really excellent clips.

One problem is that you can't be doing turns while filming. Because you can't keep the camera upright, and it will always be tipping in the opposite direction you want to make the scene look like your senses experience it. So you have to sideslip or snowplow or just cruise along.

One problem that will really strike you when you go to use these cameras in snow is that the screen washes out so you can't see what you're doing. Those more dependent on on-screen controls become a real hassle.

One advantage of filming skiing is that there's so much light the cameras can run at their highest frames per second.

Which camcorder to use is a good question. The "real" camcorder will have problems with how non-portable they are, although there are some nice small ones these days. There's no question the hybrids are more rugged. I've never had trouble using mine in winter conditions, although cold will weaken the battery. If you can afford it, and don't mind the poor capability for stills, the Miniket Sport probably would be the very best combination of features. Optical zoom, too.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote