Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 16, 2005, 5:17 PM   #1

today the hybrid has a battery if it is alakaline, rechargables, or lithiums, or desposables, now that we use the camera in many situations, they are coming with a an ac adaptor, and usb power. we need to address this issuewe need a car adaptor as well so my ideas are as follows:

12v car adaptor for the hybrid

1. pc usb port : how much juice is delievered ou the cable? will it be 3.7 vdc on all usb cables? I never knew that answer? and may need to place an ohms meter on it

2. does the camera have its own converter for dc power if thats the case the usb delievering more power butthe canera needs less.

3. acell phone pumps out 3.6vdc , perfect the camera pump out
"[email protected] 1.5 x2 =3.0vdc mustek dv4500 example

3.7vdc lithium 4.5 vdc @1.5x3 is a 3.7vdc lithium any different then a 1.5 vdc cell batery

"rechargables 1.2vdc 3 will = 3.6vdc tha ttheory

they are 1.2 x the amount of the quantity it takes.

So a 3.6vdc cell charger will run a hybrid. and a modified battery will be needed for fitting to have constant on if the usb port cannot be utilized.

depending on the camera a new battery cover may be obtained and a hole tapped out. while fitting a connection to the pins. This will get you that constant power supply needed for a long haul rather guessing how much battery is left.

and have action at your finger tips.

Someone useda altoids container for their Ipods and made a extended battery with a wire . this is posable as well.

again if the usb can be used while recording then if therecieve and transmit wire is not touching the camera should work. if they are touching then the camera will not work.

thses tests will have to be done, and we'll see the outcome. hope my ideas ringabell to those out there that are saying

'wish I had a longer battery life"

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 8:06 PM   #2

alright I have finally made my mod battery car adapter, I will have to take a trip or find the correct 3volt at a 99 cent store they sell from 1v up to 13.5 and i got it dwn packed with instructions and a vid demo

vid demo http://www.youtube.com/?v=kzEiwzw8Q14

instruction Picture and steps

what we need to do the simple Mod. wood from atangerine case or tomato case, , basically take the battery and measure up the wood now lets get the tools needed

1 you need a drill, bits , 2 nails, wire, a block of wood, pin nose cuter and some other simple items.

2 we measure up the battery to the block of wood, we cut it , do its size, if you cut too big , that is fine sanding it down is best if to small then you might have to do over. but you may place tape around the edge to hold in place or the nail head will apply the correct amount of pressure as I'll explain later .

In Pic one we have the 2 nails, the block of wood, the camera and the charger, proceed to next step.

3 As we did our cutting and tried our fit , we are good to go . My next step is to measure where the outer two contacts meet the wood. I center my nail, and the head of the nail and place my marks. i drill to the size of the nail and not bigger , i want a snug fit, and I do not want to go further then the nail, leaving 1/16th ' to grip. On the side of the wood I drill two more holes and they are double the nail size and not side by side I drill one above the other on the side, . I then get my wire and strip my lead or leads. I thread through the hole and back making a loop. this will catch the nail as I push it in. once the nail is through the looped wire I then test the wire and tap the nail down. as I am able to solder thogh the hole for a better contact, after I have fitted and got it to work. repeat this for the other contact nail. you may paint your wood or leave it alone Silver wil match perfect. I used two wires as testing urposes if you find an adaptor you may connect then direct or make a battery pack will talk about that later on.see pic 2 procced to next step

4Once I fished both nails and got my fit i make sure i have contiuity i solder my wires ( test purpose only I leave it alone) make sure you sink the nail securely due to the block of wood haveing extra height due to nail head. if you cut too short the nail will keep it secure but may wigle. . I have a secre fit. if loose some tape on the side see pic3. proceed to thenext step

5 Now all is set up Place the block or modified battery in the camera two options leave it alone or try to place the cover on. I chose at this moment to leave alone, and will have to sand the wood a little and purchase a new cover If I am serious of making an external battery case. with profesional wires. I may have not mentiond I use two wires as a test,or a car adaptor I have that option to make another block and use which one fits my needs . see pic below and go to next step

6.Now that I have completed my battery and is set to go you need to view the Video for a demo how it works.. The voltage is 5.46 out of the charger way to high by 1,20 plus vdc, this has casued the cameras screen to maulfunction. but did not stop me from flashing a pic and recording a vid, iddi stop me from viewing.

Now you can get a hold of a bandaid box, an altoid mint box anytype of metal box. and make your own battery set up.

As long as you keep the voltage to 3.6 or 4.5 the camera will work why i sy 4.5 A aa is 1.5 a rechargable is 1.2 that is why you have 3.6vdc nokias 3.7vdc is Aipteks battery( don't ask me).

in the container for the battery set up 9 batteries 3 aa's facing in the same direction will give you 1.2 or 1.5 vdc then 3 sets in a series o total 4.5 vdc giving you a max range of 3x the recording, so if the camera stays on 2 hours 9 batteries will give you up to 6 hours. if you even want to go smaller get your self some nokias or other types and follw sam plans. you maywant to google search for Ipod battery mods you'll see some good mods there.

well thisdefently concludes a test. time to make less then 15 minutes the battery case another story

Why i want extended battery .So I can have fun with my camera.

Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:58 PM   #3

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I am not longer worried about batteries in the car, I got my car adaptor 1.5-12 volts

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"And Yes my mpvr can have an ac adaptor not from Aiptek. I know how to bypass the one they sell. and make a battery for it as well it is what you see in the pics.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"12vdc or 120vac all I need to do is find a remote that will work with it Lol
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:31 PM   #4

I think I'm just going to buy another charger for the MPVR because it comes with the car adapter andit would be nice to charge both of my li-ion batteries at once.
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:13 PM   #5

here is the topic
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:01 PM   #6

I was able to charge both the Aiptek DV8900 and the YES YDV325 using an ipod Car charger.

I happen to have an ipod car charger that uses a USB socket to connect my sync cable to my ipod for charging. I simply plugged in the USB cable of the camera to the Ipod chargers USB slot and it works!
jpadua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:15 PM   #7

excellent advice
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:14 AM   #8

The charger looks something like this

Its inexpensive too
jpadua is offline   Reply With Quote