Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:54 PM   #1

Hi all,

Some time ago I found my way to this forum as I was interested about some Aiptek cameras like the HDDV 8300 and the DDV 8800. Since reading these messages here I eventually went and bought my hybrid camera of Digilife DDV-M1 (thanks fishy for the MPVR review as that camera seems to be quite similar to the one I bought it gave me a lot of info that I needed to have to make the decision). The price of the purchase from ebay, with shipping and handling from US to Europe, wasso cheap that lets hope the seller has the heart to send it to me :? (but I am rather confident as the seller had loads of positive comments on his profile and no negative ones at all).

Anyhow, I hope I get my camera soon and I thank you all again for the information you have provided in these pages as a replacement for the otherwise totally missing info & reviews.

Sincerely,

mahalo
mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:23 PM   #2

Mahalo .1st Welcome aboard and great apriciation for all that put out thse reviews to help others as I . we try our best to steer people in the right direction of what we think may be a good hybrid , and share the ups and downs

Congrad's on your Purchase and when you get it We want to see a sample vid. Just one thing it is holiday season please be paitient an extra week is needed for postal services good luck and keep up the researching...............
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:01 PM   #3

Yeah, I've been following the shipment by its tracking number and it has finally left US. Lets just see how long it takes for it to come to my home. Then I need to check the contents of the package and if all is fine I'll send you guys some video and still picture samples and perhaps even a review of a sort if I get the inspiration to do one. I don't have much to compare it against so the review would be based on gut feeling mostly :roll:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:09 PM   #4

its not what you gotto baseon , its watt others read and help decide like you to get one. no review that is true not one will be had in hand
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:05 AM   #5

I got the camera and here are my first impressions

First impressions:

- The low light capability is terrible. At first I was ready to throw the whole thing to the wall after taking some video in a room, with ceiling light on during daytime. The shots were like taken during nighttime. Then I put on some more lights (a standing light with a spot light and one reflecting from the roof). And suddenly the video was very acceptable. It seems like its a rather narrow area of light intensity that radically changes the video quality. Here's an example:

Click here to watch cat-macrofarther

The shooting if far from perfect. I am first taking close up from my cat. Then backing up, switching to portrait focus and closing in again. I took out the audio track because I was talking to my cat and thats not for public to hear :?

- The still quality was not as good as I expected, but I think its the same problem as with video: I first have to learn the tricks of this camera before I can properly comment on the stills.

- So I got a 2 GB SD card. It seems that a) either the camera does not support the card, or b) the card is somehow corrupted, c) the card needs to be formatted elsewhere before it can be put into the camera. Does anyone know how to solve a problem when windows is unable to format a SD card? The error message was something like "Windowswas unable to complete the format." "Drive I: cannot be formatted." I have a memory card reader thats 5 in 1. I wonder if the problem is that my card reader just is not good enough? It can read the card, it can format my old small 16 MB compact flash, but this 2GB card it just recognizes as unformatted card. I cannot format the card in camera either. If I start the camera with the card in it, it shuts down in 2 secs before starting the screen. If I put the card in while the camera is already in USB it recognizes it as 2GB card that needs to be formatted (through windows interface), but I get the same error message I get when I try to format the card in the card reader. Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

- Either the AV in is not working properly with PAL (it should be, and the format has been put to PAL on the camera) or I still haven't figured out how to use it because if I connect the camera with AV in and my VCR I don't get the picture that the VCR sends my TV. Should I perhaps take out the TV out connection when I do this (the VCR does not send out signal to both TV and camera?)...

- The AV out is working fine otherwise, but gives grainy look on TV and the colors are more washed out than they are with USB plugin into my laptop. That is weird as normally I've found out that the video files look better on TV than on computers.

- The overall impression? I am reserving the judgement still. I clearly see that there is more to this camera than I immediately notice and perhaps many of the problems I am facing now are solved in the future. I'll take some still shots, examples of low light performance vs. extremely well lit performance in the same room etc. for your viewing, but don't expect them tomorrow :evil:
Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:23 PM   #6

So I learned on how to make quite decent shots with the camera. Then I had to recharge the camera for the first time after I did the original 10 hour (overnight actually) battery charging session. When I originally charged the battery I was wondering why the manual did state that a light would flash as long as the battery is charging and then turn to continuous lighting after the charging is over. The light on my camera would flash about 4 times and then immediately turn into continuous lighting. I didn't think much of it then. Now when I ran the battery empty and wanted to recharge it I found out the reason for the weird behaviour.

It seems the the camera does not recharge the battery at all. Its been now connected to the USB for several hours. When I take it off and try to turn the camera on it will flash 2-3 times, beep twice and then shut down. Now it won't do even that anymore. What is the conclusion? The battery is now empty and is not recharged by the camera is my best guess. I'd be delighted if anyone would know a solution to this problem, but I guess there is not much I can do wrong trying to recharge the battery? Its just about connecting the camera to my USB jack on a computer thats on and supplying power.

But how was I able to take those shots in the beginning? I guess that the battery I received was charged... do they supply charged batteries or are they always empty to start with? Or did my computer somehow recharge the battery the first time?

- Mahalo

Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:44 PM   #7

Thank you for the Vid. i did say welcome aboard so many members lol

I do not own this model so hopefully sgspirit may have an answer

for a battery we know they have some juice not alot. so you got to have juice to charge, no juice you need to trickle it before you can charge it.

sorry I was no help.

If you feel it is defective , consult the seller. but you seem to have things under control and understand it takes time.

As i am in the process of getting an answer from Aiptek on the aud/vid.

I have no pull to get an answer for Digilife either they are lacking the email skills, almost two month later , and waiting a reply back lol to my questions. thanks FISHY
Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:54 PM   #8

Heh, it seems that many of these hybrid producers prefer to avoid as much direct contact with clients as possible. I contacted Aiptek around two weeks ago (just asking specs for the Aiptek 8300) to no avail. Digilife on the other hand does not even have a medium you are supposed to contact in case of trouble. To my knowledgethe only contact form they have on their website is for resellers. I'll let this battery recharge overnight. If it is still tomorrow totally out of juice. I'll try that trickle thing. Contacting the seller is the next step if the troubles continue, but its just pretty expensive to send it back to USA and lose the postage price twice. Then I would also have to get the refunds for the taxes and customs I paid when the item arrived... oh the bother of it all.

Mahalo
Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:13 AM   #9

Hmm... interesting turn of events. I took the wall connector that came with the camera (US plug, to which I made a connector [never do that at home, unless you are like me who does everything at home] that enables me to put northern european plug into it) and connected the camera through that to the mini usb port in the camera itself. It seems that the camera started recharging with that one, and just refuses to recharge from the USB ports in my computers. I wonder if the european computers provide different voltage through their USB ports than the US ones? Never heard of such a thing, but I just cannot figure out any other reason, why it would recharge from 5V wall recharger and not from the USB that it is supposed to be able to also use for recharging.

Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:21 AM   #10

Congrads Mr. Home repairman

well the Aiptek Is-dv has no usb power it is possable the same goes for yours???

pal or ntsc on a laptop hmmm may be possable ,

glad it works

1. usb without a battery: when you plug in the camera it works? no

then usb is not a charger, and needs the battery to run the camera and the camera is recognized and files etc runs good

2 usb without the battery works ? yes then it should run fine load up just like i said in 1. but no duel imput to camera and battery

3. battery and camera work? then it has the ability to charge and work at the same time

Only a few are like that.

an overlooked part.