Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:31 PM   #1

Lately I've run into some spare cash and thought a hybrid cam would be the way to spend it. With so many options available I've turned to the forums for help, and it has cleared things up tremendously, but what I do not understand is why there are no cams above 5MP (without interpolation) available. I read about a digimax i50 somewhere and a samsung minikit and both claim to have 5/6MP WITH optical zoom but none of the cams I sifted through seem to have both qualitys.. along with mp3 functionality anyway (a true hybrid). And ,of course, the samsung and i50 are not available to the US or not without paying excessive extra fees.

Anyway, the question is this. How noticible is the interpolation on an image that is being interpolated by entire MPs (aka sensor 3 interpolated to 6MP, 5 to 10, etc) compared to the actual image from the higher sensor?
Demori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:55 PM   #2

Ispan is in the works with optical. and yes they are pc hybrids not home move cammcorder. sorry for my post

most hybrids started out with 1 meg and interpolated to 2 meg price range 200 plus nearly 300.00

then went from 1 mg to 3 meg inter.

then 2 meg to 3,4,5

and then 3 meg to 4,5,6 and up

if they were to start at 5 meg. and up, I would rather see 3 meg with a 5x optical for 300.00 rather see a5 meg interpolated to 15 meg 3x optical for 500.00

I get a camcorder
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 8:20 PM   #3

So you're saying the interpolated image is not comparable to an image of equal resolution? I could get the i50 with 3x for about 400, but there are quite a few equally featured hybrids withOUT optical zoom that are under 200.. Is the zoom really worth the extra 200?

by the way, the statistics for the i50 can be found here: http://www.it2100.com/index_eproduct...roducts_id=662
Old Dec 25, 2005, 8:35 PM   #4

optical is what your eyes see and digital is what software does. I preferre optical over digital any in a heartbeat
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:00 PM   #5

do you have any example photos at the same resolution, one with interpolation, and one without?
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:10 PM   #6

My experience is the interpolated shots look better than the ones at native sensor resolution. I'm not a "pro" photographer, so I'm happy with the quality of the stills from my 3Mp sensor cameras. So for me, a 5Mp would be more than enough.

I'm sure a 3Mp native shot interpolated to 5Mp won't look as good as one shot at 5Mp native. I don't know how much better, but if it were as good, there'd be no reason to develop higher Mp sensors. Somewhere on the Internet there must be comparative photos. Or, you could take some shots at varying resolutions and compare them.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 6:16 AM   #7

I had posted up some pics , and I have to do the work for you HA!

for your xmas present give me some time

video shots wil not use the interpolation so i hope you can tell the difference I can't. I know I see i can get a whole lot closer to my dawg with a ccd lens and brand name camera over any hybrid.

you may find a topic in here macho hybrid vs, olympus hybrid/ good luck in viewing

2 mega pixal camera

aiptek 3 meg cmos interpolated to 6 plus meg

Old Dec 26, 2005, 4:10 PM   #8

thank you very much for the samples