Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:08 AM   #1

I just bought a DDV-720 (for my babysitter, actually) and rather than pick my way through the whole manual I was hoping you folks could help... first off, I am beginning to suspect that 6.6 megapixels on a hybrid is different than on a still camera. Is that correct? I had expected high quality still photos and instead they look like they were taken with a cell phone. Do I need to adjust my settings or do I need to live with grainy pictures? Elsewhere I see that it says 3.2 megapixels so I would expect it to take decent pictures even if that 6.6 means something different from what I expected. Am I missing something?

Also, the video only works when it is very light. Even at dusk you can't see anything other than outlined images. Again, I'm wondering if my settings need to be adjusted or if I can only take pictures in the light... I expected that the hybrid would produce lower quality stills and videos than separate units for each one. I did not expect it to be quite this bad, though. Any advice?
alisa29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:51 AM   #2

Alisa29. so sorry we missed your thread....................

1st Welcome aboard

a hybrid as mentioned over and over.

1 it is a pc camcorder, not a home movie and as well as a pro dig camera.

it has a ccd or cmos lens? they have advatage over one another cmos may do what ccd cannot vica verca (google cmos vs. ccd)

2 interpolation (software enhanced) if it is a 3 meg interpolated to 6.6 meg that means your lowest setting should take 3 meg shots, but may not be true. so look into your settings and manual. make sure you are on the middle setting for avrage shots.

it will not make a difference if you are set at high, just the software will correct it.

2. you may have a low light or night mode on and you need to see if it is in the off mode.

3. vid same thing see if your settings are set at the highest.

BUT for low light situations it sure is a downer. you must film outside forthe best shots any indoor shot must have factory or warehouse lighting. even having a 100 watt bulb overhead may not help

you may want to se me holdinga reflector light 100 watt bul in the Low light situation thread

I hope I answered some questions?

and is this for you , or your babysitter? sounds like you are having fun ( kidding)
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:25 PM   #3

Return and buy MPVR instead :G

That's the best advice I can give you.
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:48 PM   #4

alisa29 wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a DDV-720 (for my babysitter, actually) and rather than pick my way through the whole manual I was hoping you folks could help... first off, I am beginning to suspect that 6.6 megapixels on a hybrid is different than on a still camera. Is that correct? I had expected high quality still photos and instead they look like they were taken with a cell phone. Do I need to adjust my settings or do I need to live with grainy pictures? Elsewhere I see that it says 3.2 megapixels so I would expect it to take decent pictures even if that 6.6 means something different from what I expected. Am I missing something?

Also, the video only works when it is very light. Even at dusk you can't see anything other than outlined images. Again, I'm wondering if my settings need to be adjusted or if I can only take pictures in the light... I expected that the hybrid would produce lower quality stills and videos than separate units for each one. I did not expect it to be quite this bad, though. Any advice?
First, as fishycomics said, the important spec is what I call the "native" resolution of the camera's sensor. For the 720, this means 3Megapixels. The higher spec is just software enhancement to fake a higher resolution. It works, but isn't as good as a higher resolution sensor.

Unless you're a pro photographer, the 720's stills should not appear to be blurry messes. Have you checked to see if the lens focus control is positioned properly? It has 3 positions, and it's really easy to leave it in the wrong place.

I'm not sure what you mean by "very light" conditions. The 720 will work outdoors in daylight and within the midpoints of dusk and dawn. As you've found, it will work in dimmer light for stills than for video. That's because it has to take 30 stills per second to record video, and it doesn't have time to wait for a long exposure for each of those stills. (1/30th sec each, to be exact) I've had 4 hybrids, and the 720 has the best low-light performance of any of them. It works well indoors with office-level lighting or better, which is good enough for me.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:52 PM   #5

have the ddv-7000 had the same probs with the light ,,in the end changed the 60 watt bulb in :-)the bedroom :-)to a 150 watt lol
sammylad is offline   Reply With Quote