Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:09 AM   #1

Hello everyone,

I expect with Christmas just going by, alot of people have this new toy. I read great reviews of this camera from this site and suggested to my wife ... that's what I want!

Anyways, initially, I'm pretty happy with the camera, for its price range itsa great deal. My one somewhat disappointment is that it looks to me that the image on the viewfinder screen as well as the video uploaded to my PC seem to be on the darker side. I've reader numerous reviews expousing the low light abilities (not night mode), but I'm not thrilled about what I am getting in low light; by low light I mean inside thehouse at night with a couple ofsofa lamps on in theliving room.

Question. What effect does the Exposure setting have on video being taken? When I set it to highest value the screen does appear to brighten a little; what is this doing to the video? Is it holding the "shutter" open longer therefore make it more blurry?

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any comments and/or tips and suggestions.

Cheers,

Eric

ecarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:37 AM   #2

Welcome aboard Ecarmody,

EP (exposure ratings ,Wb (white balance) WIll not, WILL NOT work on VIDEO mode at all.................

why, it is ONLY for the still shot. that is why you have night mode a minipulated low lux , which goes purple, older unit shown pure grain.

If you are trying to use the functions on the VId you are only seeing the cd change.............

http://www.youtube.com/?v=0c_U4hqdWjQlow light shot

hope I answered the question

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:20 AM   #3

ha ha! :-)

I didn't realize they have no effect on video; thanks for "enlightening" me.

I checked your video link and I guess my shots would compare to that. I guess I was expecting a bit more in regards to low light abilities. ah well.

Thanks anyways.

Cheers,

Eric

ecarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:52 AM   #4

My reply to your question was sweet. If the manual says it, it will tell you each function . and what can be better then to show some low light Situations

I have made this vid and may be posted in a few topics. hope it helps out.

Thehttp://www.youtube.com/?v=U_u23wYs5Jw

low light situation. I love the way the 1st one showed the lamp lights, and the second the walking sign. perfection. but when it came down to the blue men they had eyes lol but loss resolution on zoom etc. the hallway shot was very vivid. and as well as the desk area. but what I do not understand is the high noon shot why it is dark in the room when it is so bright right next to me.

Reason behind it. camera senses light and says i need adjustment hmmmmm...
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:12 PM   #5

I just did a little test. I filmed my backdoor with exposure on 0. The camera seemed to dim the light around the door and focus on the deck outside. Now, when I turn the exposure up to +2, the door becomes bright white and I can't see anything outside. I filmed all of this, so yes it does work in video mode as well as still mode.

Oh and try not to complain about BEING ABLE TO FILM in low light :-) I mean, I'm coming from a DV 4500 where low light = absolutely no possible video. This is an amazing improvement. Also, turn on night vision and stabilizer if you want daylight light from a few lamps. It really does work (just give it a few seconds to focus). Amazing quality if you ask me. Can't be beat...well unless you want to spend $500+
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:45 PM   #6

Page 13 of the camera

1 adj the focus thats machro/infinity

2 zooming showing the joystick up/down

notes zoom is avaiable for recording. adjust other advance settings if neccessary. See the section Advanced Opertions on page 22 for more information.

paage 22 on that page it provides several options bring up the menue, highlight sub bar, and exit an illistration

does not say video wb, or ep for video?

Ep-2-+2 manually adj the ep togain better effect when the preview image

magic word image appears too bright or too dark.

page 15 talks about the picture but never mentions the advanced options.

So 3Face. if you know of any tricks that the camera can do let us in on it. b/c exsposure and white balance are only functional on still not record video.

Speaking to a rep, and owning hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:13 PM   #7

Wha?! Yea I just tested it, so I know it affects the video as well as the stills. Try it. The manual of my DV 4500 said the same thing, wasn't for video, only stills. And yet I used it for video ALL THE TIME. Just simply turn it to the desired setting and record. It's really that easy. And you should notice an improvement in low light situations with full +2 exposure, but not as great as night vision....err MODE...:-)
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:39 PM   #8

As I am no saying you are wrong. your hybrid may be a new batch?

so you are the fist to have it working. When I ws posting I was trying, and i do not have tht option. I may have a USa version, and you a Uk version.

Some also say they have webcams.so I guess 3 months and its outdated :shock:
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:53 PM   #9

WHOA NEWER MODEL!!! Wow I guess I really lucked out huh?? Sorry to hear yours doesn't work in video mode. Oh and I also have Webcam capabilities...I think. When I connect it to my PC if I hit mode i can change from Storage to Camera...haven't really tested it but I think if I load up the old dv4500 webcam softwareit will show.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:05 PM   #10

Glad you got an updated version.

wonder what it realy states on the package to be a newer model?
"webcam or not no biggie but video ep andwb I still am stuck with hmmmmmmmmmmm till I get over it lol