Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:12 PM   #1

I was just about to purchase the Creative Divi Cam 428 until I found out that it doesn't have image stabilization!

I was debating whether to buy the Digilife v1 or the Creative, and I read that the Creative has better quality picture and video. It also comes with a lens cap. :!:

Right before I ordered I decide to read up on it a bit more and I found out about the lack of stabilization.

My question..

Is image stabilization an important-enough feature for me to think about forgetting the Creative and going with one of the Digilifes? I read that stabilization is one of the three holy grails of the hybrids...

Opinions please :-) I'm waiting for the knowledge and experience of you folks before I go ahead and make this purchase, thanks!
jakediggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:18 PM   #2

Read ALLLLL of my topic. :-) It's really a no brainer. MPVR has image stabilization, night mode (which is EXCELLENT in low light, actually amplifies light in a dimly lit rim very well) and GREAT picture/vid quality with excellent colors and brightness/contrast(even in QVGA). It's also got a DVR, which allows you to record ANYTHING straight from your satellite or cable box (or anything with RCA inputs really). I just recently recorded a 1.5 hour movie and when played back, although it only recorded in mono, it sounded AMAZING on my 5.1 system. From a distance (up close at 1 foot away you notice slight transparent artifacts), it looked to be DVD quality and yet it was recorded in QVGA mode (320x240). The MP3 player is incredibly simplistic with no special features, and yet very clear with good bass and great stereo sound. Oh and it even functions as a webcam (well the LATER models do, early models don't for whatever reason) The price and all the features that come crammed into it make it one of the best hybrids there is at this moment! :G
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:00 AM   #3

Hey! - I own the MPVR but personally, I rarely ever use the stabilizer.. - yes it is good to have if you are "Jittery" and move around a lot, or you plan on doing a lot of action shots.. but for most of us, including me, I don't run around a lot.. usually I stand in one spot and film.. so I really don't need the stabilizer..

The quality and sound of the creative is good enough for me to drop the stabilizer all together, I would stick with the creative over the digilife, Its your choice but I am waiting till later this year. I have a feeling a nice 5mp sensor hybrid will be released probably at a very good price with all the bells N whistles I've been waiting for.

the hybrids out now are getting better but there are only a few hybrids that have the optical zoom and the price range is as much as or more than a Mini-DV cam.

I don't need an optical zoom that bad! - but a very crisp video in sun and lowlight is what I am waiting for.
MPVR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:35 AM   #4

Jakediggz.

1st Welcome do not purchase Just yet?

1. stabilization on the mpvr:

eats up 1.5x extra memory so imagine, you are filming a 48 minute full 1 gig card. you may be getting near 30 minutes video.

2 imagine you are filmingwith stabilization and night mode. you are using 1.5 plus 1.plus as well you'll get even less video on a sd card.

I own the 1st mpvr, and I believe a stabilization feature is great to have and stopps Close up shaking I need to do a vid test on that?

3 Creative labs blows the mpvr away according to some members, but may not have all the extras added like other hybrids.

Ido not wantto steer you wrong. but as members do not follow advice. in posting a vid up and placing it in the vid upload center . we'll never know?

I may have to ask again and make it clearer, it may be the way I am saying it? I will try again to get the members to do so. hope that helps out

ps

The hybrid is not like supacam stating 5 or 6 hour playtime that said good luck in your choice. I would hold off andsee what the 520 digilife has to offer looks awesome. optical zoom over digital anytime ofday....
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:48 AM   #5

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=yyJrYnfwkGQstabilization, camera is seated in the headrest of my car, and you may watch the vidto decide if the stabilizations works or not?

and I created a threadvarious stuations so. posably the answers will appear in a year. sorry? that'sthe way ifeel about participation.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:47 AM   #6

LOL I never NEED stabilization. MY ARM is stabilization! Seriously, with one finger placed a few inches from the mike and the rest below the flash, it's pretty hard to get a really shaky picture, even when moving. Sure the night mode and stabilization eats up more space, but so what? In QVGA you could film PLENTY. VGA though...yea not so much. But because QVGA looks so "darn" good anyway, I could care less! ALSO, Creative has the better quality camera/video camera, but is the quality so much better you would drop all the additional features of the MPVR? In my case, I would not. :-)

ALSO, the MPVR looks SOOOOOO much sexier! :G And I know you know that's the most important part!:-)
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote