Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:16 PM   #1

Hello, need a little help if poss....I've been looking at getting a Xacti C6 but decided to hold off until after the CES show....Im after a camcorder that is small and light and will give a min of 640x480 30fps, but also if poss give fairly good still pics. The main use will be for snowboarding and also mountain climbing. To that - I have been liking the idea of having a lipstick or bullet cam. This kind of stops the Xacti but then opens up lots of other CamCorders with AV-In. Im now looking at the AipTek PocketDV 8900,8800 or a digilife ddv-1000.
I'm not sure if all these cameras are available yet, but I'm hoping they will be by the start of Feb when I need to buy one.

Does anyone have any views/vids regarding these camcorders or have any other recommendations? (am aware of the Samsung Sport camcorder but not keen on the price or spec). Really appreciate info as my head is swirling trying to decide.

I assume more camcorders will be released at CES but I guess these wont be released until 2nd quarter?

Thanks Guys and Gals....
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:22 PM   #2

Welcome Nessy;

Did you notice the vid upload center, I may have to change it due to overlooking a simple title (lol)

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:27 PM   #3

Thanks Fishy, had noticed....hadn't looked (slapped wrists!!!).
However, can't see those camcorders in there unless I'm still being daft!

:?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:02 PM   #4

Go with the Aiptek 6800 (MPVR). You won't be dissapointed. It's got all the features of the 8800 minus the MP3 equalizer, auto focus and it's maxed out at 6MP (enough to print 8x10 high quality photos). Unless you have money to burn...then I'd go with the 8800 or whatever comes next. IMO though, the quality of the MPVR is excellent. I'd pick it up if I were me:?:O:G
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:22 PM   #5

I changed the names of the vid upload to sample vids Sgspirit hasa list of hybrids in the hybrid list The sanyo (fisher) is an excellent hybrid costing a lot of money close to 500 plus if they have gone down like the C4 series somewhat less expensive,

If i were going to spend 500.00 I would research into a sony handycam comes in a number of colors.

Nessy wrote: [/b]
Quote:
Thanks Fishy, had noticed....hadn't looked (slapped wrists!!!).
However, can't see those camcorders in there unless I'm still being daft!

:?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:47 PM   #6

Thanks all. It's looking like the Aiptek to me unless others can come up with good alternatives. I think the key now is AV-In to allow for a bullet-cam add on (anyone tried this?). I'm not interested in MP3 playback but probably am interested in Auto-Focus....

Anyone know about this:

http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/product/dv/dv8900.htm

The Sony looks nice but is it SD and does it have AV-In? Would have to be VERY nice to spend that sort of money.....which I like doing but the other half is not keen on me doing :-)

Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:27 PM   #7

It looks...boxy. And UGLY. And the LCD screen is slightly smaller than the 6800. The advantages are: 10MP compared to 6MP. And MP3 equalizer vs no MP3 equalizer.
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:24 PM   #8

The Sony does not have av-in. None of the expensive hybrids do. If you want to use a remote lens head, the ones with av-in are the only choice. Rather than list all that here, the information is in the Hybrid List topic.

The problem with the Samsung is that it has very limited resolution for stills.

I have used a remote lense head with my Digilife DDV-810. Rather than repeat it here, there is a topic where I posted my experiments. For superior results, I suggest you get the more expensive Sony spycam, not the $30-40 one like I got. You will have to rig up an attachment system.

Also, check out the Tony Hawk helmetcam for skateboarders, it might be just what you need. And it has a topic somewhere here also.

For your intended use, make sure you get a hybrid with image stabilization.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:01 AM   #9

I am eagerly awaiting my digilife DDV-1000. Will let the board know how it is. I'm hoping it is decent since it is a CCD as opposed to a CMOS. We'll see.. the aiptek MPVR isCMOS and it takes very good video IMO. The Digilife DDV-M1 is CMOS and it takes horrible video.

Bob C
bobbyc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:17 AM   #10

I'm anxious to hear your comparison. My DDV-810 is CMOS and takes video with inferior color and low-light sensitivity, but handles motion very well. My DDV-720 takes excellent color, and handles low light fairly well, but blurs anything that's moving quickly.

As others have stated, CCD sensors are supposed to be superior, but others here have stated the CCD sensor is even worse than the CMOS in dim light. I'd also like to know how they compare for detail sharpness, capture of motion, and color rendition.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote