Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:34 PM   #151

lmsabo, welcome to the forum!

The bit rate you're seeing for the 920 is so much slower than the stated rate for 640x480/30fps that it should be vastly inferior quality. How much different is the quality from the 640x480/30 from your other camera?

Your Supacam is the same as, or equivalent to, the Digilife DDV-810. There should be two main differences relevant here. One is the CCD sensor, and although not everyone agrees, you should see better color and better low-light performance with the 920. The 810 had, in my opinion, noticably poor color.

You will not see greater resolution in videos. Whatever the sensor resolution, all these hybrids take video at 640x480. And obviously 30 fps is standard, although some of these cameras (the .asf ones?) slow down when the light is poor.

How do you find the videos disappointing: color, capturing motion, frame rate, resolution, contrast?

The higher megapixel sensor will only be a benefit for stills, which aren't an issue here.

I don't know how you tell a 920 from a 910. Going by the pictures in the Ispan website, they don't seem to have the model number on the cameras. As you said, presumably the firmware could be the same. I suppose if we had enough info, we could tell from the serial numbers, or if enough people posted their 910 and 920 firmware versions, we might be able to see a pattern.

Seems to me something in the firmware info is related to the sensor, because (I believe) OmniVision makes the guts of these cameras. You could check their website and see if you can correlate any of the firmware numbers with their CameraChip products.

The other thing would be to take it apart, but the different sensor might not have an obviously different part number. You could contact queenofglitter to see if they can help with this. They seem to be communicative. Ispan/Digilife/Life Technologies will not respond.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:37 PM   #152

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
920 Travel Log

Originated at Little Rock
9 hr in transit to St. Louis
5 hr resting
6hr in transit to Chicago
10.5hr resting
Departed Chicago, no update posted for 14hr now. Seems to me it goes to the Toronto area now, as it continues to get farther from its destination.
24 hours later, still no further update. The package left Chicago about 38 hours ago.
Another 24 hours has passed with no update. The package left Chicago about 62 hours ago. And of course UPS doesn't operate over the weekend.
My 920 has been sneaking across the norther US, and resurfaced in Redmond Washington at 3:00am today. 4.5 hours later, it departed Redmond, and presumably is on the way here. Looks like I may just get it on Tuesday, as scheduled. Maybe even Monday.
My 920 arrived at the UPS depot at the Vancouver airport this afternoon, so I expect to see it tomorrow.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:09 AM   #153

Wohoo! Good for you Sg, mine should be arriving any day soon as well.
aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:02 AM   #154

just woke up so orgive me .

the bitrate is for video or sound. I think the sound could have been posted up as well for less confusion.

I get 30.0 and 29.9 fps 720.02 on a night shot. Aiptek mpvr

I get 720.02 30 fpson a night shot with night mode as well

and I got 218.12 on a short 5 e clip with aiptek again

Ispan 920 unavailable I wonder why? windows media. maybe my codecs are not loaded.

I believe a ccd sensor works beter or worse. so far I find I like my Aiptek far moe over the ddv 920. I am goingto play aroundat work today with it. but rightnow I need to find out why A data the Company sd card is disliked. I am Now Using Sandisk, and then panasonic thesandisk are my prefrence as I have them.

2 major flaws in my books Missleading in bit rate ,and another sd maulfunction in a sort of way
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:51 PM   #155

today I have excellent footage for night video. as well as a night shot of a bridge, and a day shot. it's reeally a super shot and that will leave to to decide why my other issues are important

15 minutes of filming on a full battery bad new battery is working out at 20 minutes and taping as i type.

camera shuts off by no reason. camera shuts off in filming for no reason.

camera beeps at low battery faster and faster (great feature) will not allow recordingon low battery. camera cannot handle light situations very broken up pixlated or curruption or fragmented.

camera filmed a good 20 vids and only 3-5 works Lol due to the errors I got.

camera flashs record but does not show battery life how long can I go without seeing low battery consuption pics will be posted up.

Did I mention I am into 50 minutes of non stop recording. on the ispan battery.

the Pic is at 4 am in the morning I believe Aiptek failed the shot lol will try to remember to try it with Aiptek, no settings just Auto.

holding hte camera down I quickly pulled it up and yes it fails to grabcolor. must allow camera to adjust even on video which I cannot proove due to crashing the camera.

Colorful shot and again it has white glare from the sun just felt like cropping

this is the max 11 megapixal resized down to up to 2 meg. wh i cannot show you the full view 55x44 inchs and the free site does not allow 2 plus meg its a sure winner on that shot.

Now for the 4 am night vid you are able to see the surroundings I did not test out on people so that is the Ultimate test.

http://media.putfile.com/CLIP00028461

the clip below will show what happens when light gets involved in a low lit situation do you see the transporter beams on the right side due to the light not normal and cannot live with that.

http://media.putfile.com/CLIP00048423

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:54 PM   #156

I have some DDV-1000 and DDV-920 footage, and my Nero player shows the realtime bitrate of the Video. My videos from each camera will go in excess of 2mbps during video with movement.
Bob C
bobbyc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:57 PM   #157

My 920 arrived today. It left the depot at 4:00am for delivery. All day I didn't hear anything from Shipping/Receiving, so I paid them a visit. UPS had been and gone, but no package for me. Damn, what has gone wrong now? Later, Receiving calls me to say they have the package. Phew.

Anyway, first impression is that I like the 920. More like the 720, which I really liked, than the 810, which I never quite liked. Big crisp screen (somewhat bigger than the 810's, and certainly sharper), logical controls. As someone noted earlier, the screen ismounted kind of floppy. It's just slightly smaller than the 810. Still lacks the "quality" feel of the S670 and 720, but what can be expected for 150 bucks? More solid than the 810 anyway.

Mp3 is stereo, but no way to delete individual songs. Better low light performance than the 810, at the expense of highlights being blown out a bit more. Images are biased toward red and blue, as opposed to the 810's green bias. Another problem inherited from its 720 roots is the inability to mix stills and video clips during playback. But, big plus over the 810, you can easily shut off all the screen icons anytime. No histogram function like the 810 has. 1100mah battery instead of the 850mah that came with the 810.

Checked the firmware, and it's the same number as noted earlier. There's nothing on it to indicate which model it is.

Anyway, I'll use it for a few days, then do a comprehensive review based on the review of the 810 I did.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:06 PM   #158

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
lmsabo, welcome to the forum!

The bit rate you're seeing for the 920 is so much slower than the stated rate for 640x480/30fps that it should be vastly inferior quality.* How much different is the quality from the 640x480/30 from your other camera?
Thanks sgspirit, good to be here. In answer to your question, I would say the 920 video quality is slightly better than the Supacam DV6. However, it should have been vastly superior if it were truly producing a 1.8Mbps VIDEO bit rate.

Quote:
Your Supacam is the same as, or equivalent to, the Digilife DDV-810.* There should be two main differences relevant here.* One is the CCD sensor, and although not everyone agrees, you should see better color and better low-light performance with the 920.* The 810 had, in my opinion, noticably poor color.
Agree, the color is a bit better. The big difference is that I can pan smoother with the 920. Also, the 920 has far less video artifacts on edges. Although both cameras occasionally produce a few frames of "digital puke". Sort of a highly pixilated blob in a quarter of the frame. Does yours do that?

Quote:
You will not see greater resolution in videos.* Whatever the sensor resolution, all these hybrids take video at 640x480.* And obviously 30 fps is standard, although some of these cameras (the .asf ones?) slow down when the light is poor.

How do you find the videos disappointing: color, capturing motion, frame rate, resolution, contrast?
Only the resolution disappoints me. In particular long shots look "pasty" to me.

Quote:
The higher megapixel sensor will only be a benefit for stills, which aren't an issue here.
Agree, BTW the default (at least on mine) for stills is med quality. I wish I could hard wire a few of the settings. Like the stills resolution, one stop down on videos, and multi-snap for example.

Quote:
I don't know how you tell a 920 from a 910.* Going by the pictures in the Ispan website, they don't seem to have the model number on the cameras.* As you said, presumably the firmware could be the same.* I suppose if we had enough info, we could tell from the serial numbers, or if enough people posted their 910 and 920 firmware versions, we might be able to see a pattern.

Seems to me something in the firmware info is related to the sensor, because (I believe) OmniVision makes the guts of these cameras.* You could check their website and see if you can correlate any of the firmware numbers with their CameraChip products.

The other thing would be to take it apart, but the different sensor might not have an obviously different part number.* You could contact queenofglitter to see if they can help with this.* They seem to be communicative.* Ispan/Digilife/Life Technologies will not respond.
Yes, I have contacted QoG and s/he responded that s/he would contact iSPAN and get back to me. I also have messgaes into iSPAN.

I know there are a lot of smart folks on this forum and many of you own 920's. Could some of you please shoot some high res footage and check the VIDEO bit rate and post what you are getting. Thanks!
lmsabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:18 PM   #159

Something you could try doing is shoot video with a tripod. Once the sensor maps out all the pixels over a few seconds, the video image should be very clear and free of the muddy areas that result from compression. If the camera or subject matter are in motion, the camera has to continually compress to keep the data stream small enough. If nothing's changing, it can eventually record the whole sensor without leaving anything compressed.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:50 PM   #160

lmsabo wrote:
Quote:
I have read your comments as well as many others. In general I liked my other hybrid but I just wanted better resolution for videos, that is why I choose the iSPAN DDV-920. I just want to understand why I see a 233kbps bit rate vs 1.8Mbps as per spec. My old camera had a 233 bit rate. I have an email in iSPAN as well. Is there a definitive way to tell a DDV-920 from a DDV-910?
Could someone with a 910 post the firmware version? There might be clues in the numbers that allow distinguishing between the cmos 910 and the ccd 920.

Here's another clue. The 910 and the 920 seem to have different lens assemblies. The focus ranges are different. You could check this by experimenting. Easier, the lens specs differ, so you could check to see which you have.

Lens: FF F3.05/5.6 f=7.0mm
*Focus Range:
15cm ( Macro );
90cm ~ 178cm ( Portrait );
165cm ~ infinite ( Normal )

Lens: FF F3.0 f=8.5mm
*Focus Range:
20cm ( Macro );
70cm ~ 140cm ( Portrait );
100cm ~ infinite ( Normal )

In reality, fishycomics' 920 is F2.8. Mine is also F2.8/F5.6, which differs from the specs. But it's more similar to the numbers for the 920 than for the 910. My 920 also has that ugly "5 M CCD" sticker on it. So I'm pretty sure I have a 920.