Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:39 PM   #171

Bitrate

lowest 320x240 64 for sound 69 for vid

med 640 x 480 64 aound vid 132

high 640 480 64 sound 231 vid

highest sound66 sound64 highest vid 266 and sound is always 64

now let me not bring my aiptek in

735 at low res 4 bit sound

AiptelMPVR
I stopped looking for a highest one that bites to have that high on a MPVr but the sound hmmmmm

not an expert ut the sound is shown in the MPVR not the 920?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:14 PM   #172

Fishy, THANKS!!! You are seeing same video bit rate on the 920 as I am, around 230kbps. Now if some kind soul with a DigiLife branded DDV-1000 could check their High-Res video bit rate and post that, we be able to tell if an iSPAN 920 is truely a DigiLife branded DDV-1000.

Is your second screen shot from an MPVR clip? Not sure what's going on there. The audio bit rate is clearly not correct. But you can't get the video bit rate for the MPVR? Is it using a XVID codec?
lmsabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:50 PM   #173

you're welcome the second is yes of Aiptek. and xvid codecs not used asf file for,at and win codecs
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:31 PM   #174

DDV-1000 Indoor low-light

Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:41 PM   #175

A video clip from my 920 says about the same thing. Odd, I would expect it to be closer to 1.8Mbps. Anyway, since the numbers painted on the lens of my 920 match the lens specs for the 920 better than they match the numbers for the 910, I'm fairly sure I have a 920. I've been wrong before, though.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:55 PM   #176

Thanks Old HACer! Looks like we have our answer. Appears to me that DigiLife, and their channel partners, are making claims regarding the DDV-1000 (iSPAN 920) that are not supported by the data. Had I known this ahead of time, I would not have bought the iSPAN 920 camera.

But that's water under the bridge at this point. Today I bought a Panasonic PV GS250 to ease my pain! I still really like the hybrid idea. (I outh to because now I have two!) But it looks like it will require another couple of years of development and maturity before the hybrid can be your only camcorder. But it will happen. 100% digital, 100% solid state, drag and drop, man that just feels right!
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:01 PM   #177

But if we overlook what the bitrate says, the videos from the 920 are at least on a par with previous similar hybrids. Which would indicate that either there's something wrong with the number, of they're using more powerful compression, or something else.

I don't think it means we're getting inferior cameras, because those of us who have had older/cheaper hybrids, know what inferior video looks like. I'm rather impressed at the video quality, and compared to what hybrids in this price range were getting even a year ago, these are excellent.

I can't find the topic where we were talking about the cameras staying powered up with the screen closed. When I find it, I'll post this there:

You CAN close the 920's screen with the screen pointed out, and the camera won't turn off right away. The 810 has a setting to keep it powered on until the battery goes dead, regardless of how you have the screen. The 920 will power down after 3 minutes even if you leave the screen open or reversed. I don't see any way to defeat this, and it means the camera is not usable with a remote lens attachment.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:10 PM   #178

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
A video clip from my 920 says about the same thing.* Odd, I would expect it to be closer to 1.8Mbps.* Anyway, since the numbers painted on the lens of my 920 match the lens specs for the 920 better than they match the numbers for the 910, I'm fairly sure I have a 920.* I've been wrong before, though.
So what's your overall impression of the video quality? What about still picture quality?

Other than the video bit rate issue, I think lens is too wide angle for my tastes. It is far more wide angle than my SupaCam DV6. The other small nit is the camera case. You need to be very careful putting the camera away or the side flaps will bend down leaving the lens exposed.

On the plus side, I love the menu improvements (over my DV6), separate buttons for still and video, improved mic, AV in, large storage, large LCD, and better fidelity on panning.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:52 AM   #179

Guys there is a error in the windows summary statistics. The DDV-920 and the DDV-1000 are both 1.8Mbps data rate. The windows summary shows 234kbps. Here's what my nero player statistics show. When I did a print screen, it didn't capture the video, but did capture the statistics.

Attached Images

bobbyc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:12 AM   #180

Nice find there bobby, =)

a few comments:

1) Sg, in regards to what you said about closing the lcd - yes it shuts off immediately or after 3 min of inactivity. HOWEVER, something that i was pleased to find is that you may close the lcd screen (normal: face down) while in and listening MP3 mode. The music will continue to play and you can navigate volume and next song.

2) Dispite the comments on bitrate, i must say that I am fairly impressed with the video quality. From comparable hybrids found locally - this device blows them out of the water. The only issue I have with the camera is that i get alot of blue hues when facing a light source. At low light, this camera seems to really shine, as i don't seem to experience much blurriness of image or moving lights; if anything, it gets a bit grainy any the colors are a bit off - but still decent and watchable w/o strain.

3) The big issue i'm having right now is converting movie files from whatever format to a playable .AVI on the 920. By renaming clips to CLIP000x.AVI i am able to acess them through the camera - however when playing the sound is fine but the image gets all jarbled up and pixelated. The MakeAVIS program included on the install CD won't seem to work for me (i get a AviSyth error) and have tried using the xvid and ffvfw codecs with third party software. Same results. If anyone figures out the correct codec and codec settings to convert a watchable movie from the comp on the 920, PLEASE voice it here.
aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote