Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:57 PM   #201

After using the 920 intensively for a few days, a couple of things cropped up.

One was that in shots with sunlight, any bright (such as white) subject areas on the screen will have vertical "rays" or bright areas extend up and down from the bright areas. Most of the time this is like ghosting, but a direct reflection of sunlight, like off a car window, will cause a solid vertical bar on the screen. Fishycomics also mentioned this.

This does not show up in stills of the same scene, so it's an artifact of the video processing system. Hopefully it can be fixed with a firmware upgrade, but Digilife has no history of user support for this.

The other problem is that the lens bezel is used as the focus ring. It can be turned so easily, it gets turned during normal handling of the camera, and so is often in the wrong setting. I've lost an annoying amount of shots due to this, and I'm gradually learning to check the focus before every shot.

I'd say the 5MP CCD sensor gives nice results a lot of the time in video, and the stills look excellent. But I wouldn't lose sleep if I had a 3MP CMOS sensor instead. Especially given the "rays" problem.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:33 AM   #202

aijuswannasing wrote:
Quote:
welcome to the forum ruwan. It's always great to have more ppl here.

ok.. bad news guys...

as you can see, Hacer has congradulated me on my new camera win.. yes - i bougtht another one, and why? CUZ MINE GOT JACKED!!!! DAMNIT! lol

I kept it in a small camera case that i kept in my backpack, and a few days ago it was gone! my phone number and everything was in it so even if it's actually lost - i consider it stolen cuz whoever has it could've called me. lol

person got away with almost everything he/she needs too. I kept the data cable, remote, and the 1gb kingston sd card in there. I was so crushed. =(

from now on i'm keeping this cam in my pocket. = (

oh i'm so sorry to hear that aijuswannasing.. hopeyouget it back.. anyways good that you are buying a new one too..next time be careful though!

i'm still awaiting my camera will take atleast another 3weeks or so.

ruwan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:51 AM   #203

I agree sgspirit, when you look at the "gives and gets", a good CMOS sensor is better overall than the CCD used in the iSPAN 920 at the moment.

My other issues with the iSPAN 920 are that I wish the lens wasn't so wide angle, I wish there was a way to make any menu selection attribute permanent vs some which default back on reboot, also they should include a "drag and drop" anything to XVID application (with the correct codec settings) like is available for DIVX, lens cap/cover would be nice, redesign the case so that the sides don't fold down exposing an open camera lens, 3x optical zoom would be great, and include a better AV cable (mine broke with the first use).

But overall it is a very handy little camera. It is always with me and takes very good snap shots and decent video clips. The voice recorder is pretty good, I've used it a couple of times in a pinch. The MP3 player and media player work, but have a ways to go before I would consider them truly useful for me. I like the standard SD/MMC card for storage with a file system Windows recognizes. I like the standard high-performance cell phone battery. I like the USB interface. I like the simple menu interface. I like the two separate buttons for video and picture. I like the large LCD. I like the size and weight. I like the instant on when you open the LCD. I like the looks of the camera in general. Bottom line, its a very good value.

DigiLife has a solid foundation of a hybrid camera. It will be very interesting to see where they take this over the next couple of years.
lmsabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:54 PM   #204

Ims. there is no Instant on, it takes a good 5 seconds for the camera to tun on, unless the camera main screen saver is off? maybe i the scrensaver is off it turns on in a heartbeat.

Sg have you taken a shot and used it as the turn on, a great talked about item before , but its just a gadget like your cellphone

what I am looking for in the next Hybrid is a fm reciever. and the capability to record off the fm this would finalize all hybrid issues with the 3x optical.

What you guys think?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:38 PM   #205

To me, 5 seconds latency is instant on. Lets face it these devices have a microprocessor in them that needs to boot up. It certainly turns on faster than my cell phone or Centrino notebook. But my other point is that there is not a second button I need to push. Simply open the LCD and it boots up.

Eventually these devices may include an FM receiver as you point out, or perhaps satellite radio with PVR, or even DVB-H with PVR. Prior to that I hope the get the basic features rock solid. As I think about it, I could see them supporting MPEG4 part 10 (H.264) in a couple of years. Now that would be COOL!!!!!!!!
lmsabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:44 PM   #206

So far as I know, the Benq cameras were the only ones with FM radios, so I'd be surprised to see that feature become more common. (I'd like it, though.) More likely might be the eventual appearance of the TV tuner that Digilife has been teasing us with for over a year.

The MP3 player is ok if you don't also want to take videos or stills. If you're listening to music, and want to take a shot, you have to switch modes, and sometimes even the memory card, take the shot, then change modes back to MP3, and find where you were in the music list to resume listening. Kind of a hassle compared to having a separate MP3 player.

A few things I've found out about the 920 over the last few days:

- If it's left recording, it doesn't shut off until you run out of power or memory space. At least for the memory space, when it runs out, it leaves the video intact. So it must do an orderly shutdown. Discovering this also removes the only reason I had to need an MPVR.

- The stills taken while videoing are poor quality. Maybe no better than clipping stills out of the videos.

- If you use a tripod, shut the motion stabilization off. Otherwise the camera tries to follow the moving subject, causing the background to move around like somebody's drunk.

- My camera recorded a 20-minute clip, and replayed it, with no problems. It only shut down while recording because it ran out of memory space.

- I compared video quality to the 720's output. Contradicting what I said earlier, the 920's output with a CCD sensor was much better than the 720's CMOS sensor's output. This may also be partly or fully a result of either superior MPEG4 processing, or a data bus with more capacity that requires less compression. But the latter would result in larger files, and I don't see that.

- And lastly, I sold my 810 today, leaving me with just the 920. So I'm all ready to buy a hybrid with optical zoom. I considered just getting a dsc with MPEG4 video, but they just don't have all the other features the hybrids have. Like remotes and video-in ports.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:04 AM   #207

Now you mentioned the 520 andaht may be bothersom is out of focus zooming .

the MPVr does all that as wel, Sg it's all prefrence you want better this or better that. you get this or get that

both the 920 or MPVr are reat but the stabilizer has no problem grabbing a vid. but to have a snap shot while filming grab out of a frame it's the same
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:55 PM   #208

Nice points ther sgspirit.

Heh, sometimes i hate how i can be a critic.. at the some times love it.

the camera IS pretty great in my opinion, considering anything available locally here in BC doesn't come CLOSE to the 920. (Check the mall, they're selling some POS for almost twice as much after tax.)

There's alot that i like about the camera, but some revisions that i hope to see in the future are:

- higher compatibility with video file types; straight fwd drag, drop, and play.

- optical zoom (no duh), and maybe even a focus ring? heh. Super Macro

- multi-tasking; sg touched on this. It'd be cool if we could browse folders and such
while mp3 player was running

- no more li-on, go AA recharge or even both.

- better night mode (you can use the still night mode in vid mode.. slow tho)

- ID3 tag readability for mp3s. also, filename reading for vids, no more rename files.

- intergrated mini hard drive. (drooling)

- ability to customize power settings. (auto off time and such)

- angle-viewable screen (most lcds you need to look straight at the LCD or else it polarizes.)

- Faster burst-shot for pics.

- PVR time slot scheduling.

haha. but really, there is no hybrid out there that does at (or close.. ah i wish). So really I can't complain cuz the 920 comes pretty darn close. and for the price, i mean.. come on =)
I'm happy its my first hybrid.

now; things i like:

- the size, shape and feel. To me the weight is just right. not too heavy, not too light.

- Big lcd, and very easy to use.

- the battery, for me, seems fine. Today i got about 3+ hours of music with the screen closed. Not too great compared to a dedicated, but good enough for the school commute, and breaks. If i used better earphones (require less drain) I could lower the volume and prolly squeeze out a little more time.

- the microphone is good, i've done some clips of my singin and jammin and comes out nice and clear. Also has beed GREAT for lectures. Keep the screen closed in to save batt.

- Mp3 play quality is not bad at all. Missing EQ but I'm not complaining.

- Picture quality pretty good in my opinion, I've used the macro to take pics of posted solutions and stuff in classes.

- Vid quality as expected. Few issues, which i can deal with for now. Cam is simply for memories and school. So i'm pleased.

- 1gb of storage goes a long way =) 1hr and 27 min high quality. even with 30 songs on there i can get 1hr15 min. insane hehe.

- The speaker, small but actually fun to play music out loud and when watchin clips.

- AV in and out. pretty handy and unique.

Yeah. The gadget freak inside me yearns out for more - unfortunatley that's not really available right now. So, at the moment I'm pleased.

u know.. the prefect hybrid for me would prolly be an Archos that had a built in camcorder. Archos has great products - but not 1 has ALL the features i want. They're always short one or two functions i'm looking for. =( anyways, even if they did it'd be DANG expensive.

aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:07 AM   #209

OH... and an external mic in.... heheh....
aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:31 AM   #210

those are the great points .

The Hybrid as a first camera. will want you coming back 4 more.

People forget a one thing, this is a Pc camera Hybrid, not a home Movie camcorder, big difference?

for your Purpose AIJU......... you use it for college Priceless, cannot even tell you how important that is..

For me. I have a few, I try my best and well I destroyed my good one lol

1. dv3000 avi hybrid perfect for animated gifs, no need to convert file over.

2 dv3500 was my vacation camera , became my car fixes camera

3. the 4500 was supposed to be my vacation camera butI hepp'ed to use it for a remote control vid and brokethe scree,, but it still works, it has a flash.

4 MPVr was going to be m vacation camera butI take it all over best flash forbest pic's If I need to see somethingat one jobsite I can locate the pic and stare and compare bigger screen.

now I am going to concider my 4500 as my mp3 for work etc,I need to listen to Music Lol keeps me going lol.